Gophers make Mandel’s Early Top 25.

Mandel's typically bearish on the Gophers (and all non-CFP teams) so this is some kind of sign. I think it's because he's a Northwestern alum and both teams typically see that game as a win in the grand hierarchy.

This seems like a very fair, modestly optimistic pre-season read, based on the personnel the Gophers lost versus the new players added and (unstated) the hoped-for return to a balanced offense under a new/old OC. (I am very happy with what the 2021 team accomplished, but if KC had been offensive coordinator I don’t believe we would have lost the BG or IL because of such ineffective, wooden, predictable offensive performances).

Rankings this time of year are worthless but I guess it is better to make the cut than to miss it.

Losing the O line is important.
You need good o line play to be competitive at a high level.

I would rather have a team with a good o line and good complements in other places than a great o line an below average at other places.

o line will take a half step back. Rest of the team will be better. As long as the o line is above average for the conference next year, MN is a threat to win the west.

i see the top 4 as really close with purdue slightly behind the other 3. right now based on everything I’ve seen I would pick the division:
1) Minnesota (2nd easiest schedule of top 4
2) Purdue (easiest schedule of top 4)
3) Iowa (gets wisconsin at home)
4) wisconsin (road games @ohio state, @michigan state, @iowa)

5) Illinois
6) Nebraska
7) northwestern

I think all 4 in that top 4 enter November with a chance to win it.

Top Bottom