Gophers lose to a team that did not play an upperclassmen

This team will be fine, just need some offensive cohesion. They defend well and only had five turnovers last night, forced sixteen all recipes of a well coached team. Carr going 2/8 at the line ****ed us. He shoots his career percentage we win

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Nothing personal when I say this my friend, but I'm astounded at your conclusions.

Did you watch the game?

I have the pac 12 network, but wish I didnt.

lack of hustle, lazy d on out of bounds plays, lack of our own out of bounds plays, no one rebounding but Carr and Orturo, killed us.

Pitino did nothing to help cause those turnovers. His defensive teachings are highly suspect.

How on God's Green Earth does Orturo go without a shot for the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half?

It's a travesty, a sham, and a mockery.

Last edited:

Nothing personal when I say this my friend, but I'm astounded at your conclusions.

Did you watch the game?

I have the pac 12 network, but wish I didnt.

lack of hustle, lazy d on out of bounds plays, lack of our own out of bounds plays, no one rebounding but Carr and Orturo, killed us.

Pitino did nothing to help cause those turnovers. His defensive teachings are highly suspect.

How on God's Green Earth does Orturo go without a shot for the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half?

It's a travesty, a sham, and a mockery.
I did watch the game and quite frankly your statement doesn't hold water, unless you have selective memory of course. When you get down 19 , you don't cut that to one despite horrible free throw shooting and horrible shooting in general. I'll give you this, Oturu needs to command the ball more, but hey my 5'0" goalie needs to stop going down like he's 6'4" Ann by the second period, cats out of the bag with his scouting report.
But his two moms don't hold him accountable, so he doesn't take to coaching, has an excuse for everything, which gives home fake confidence in his abilities. One of his mom's runs a Twitter, I want to start a burner account so I can say how I really feel, not like I can go in the locker room and be like hey good effort boys, you played well enough to win, but your goalie equipment s a lazy sack of **** who is 0-5 in his starts, but you guys are 6-0 when the other goalie starts, but it's bantams and I have to play both because of the association made me take both.

I look forward to the days when we can once again have a basketball coach who earned the position based on merit, rather than one whose sole virtue is being born to the right father.

Billy Donovan’s recommendation didn’t mean anything?

It's always next year isn't it? Oturu will likely declare next year and they will be worse. If your honest, it's apparent only Rutgers, NW, and NE have worse rosters than the Gophers. Including WI, Illini, IA as garbage. R U kidding me?

How is WI or IAs roster better??

I’m not happy with this loss and thought they’d be better sooner. I’m gonna wait for the conference play to truly throw in the white flag though. The D is better positionally, offensively I like the plan. Unless everyone wants to start seeing the weave again?

I’m not happy with this loss and thought they’d be better sooner. I’m gonna wait for the conference play to truly throw in the white flag though. The D is better positionally, offensively I like the plan. Unless everyone wants to start seeing the weave again?

I have to admit I am very concerned. Just don’t see the path to complete in conference.

Hoping I am wrong because I like RP. Just see the same issues every year.

You must've been really upset when we won a game in the tournament last year.

The tourney win was fun, but the 9-11 conference bored the schit out of me. I'm just thankful you can get in with losing conference records.

I have to admit I am very concerned. Just don’t see the path to complete in conference.

Hoping I am wrong because I like RP. Just see the same issues every year.

I think MSU and OSU are untouchable this year in the B10. Otherwise we defend at a high level, limit turnovers, and shoot efficient shots we will be fine. No one else stands out to me and I see our team growing. I really like our new assistants and am excite don't to see this group improve. If they are awful I'm more than ok moving on.

Not even close, god you people are clowns

That team had Mason, Murphy, McBreyer and Joey King. It might have been more talented than this one. It shouldn't have been 9-22. It also lost a lot of close games.

I did watch the game and quite frankly your statement doesn't hold water, unless you have selective memory of course. When you get down 19 , you don't cut that to one despite horrible free throw shooting and horrible shooting in general. I'll give you this, Oturu needs to command the ball more, but hey my 5'0" goalie needs to stop going down like he's 6'4" Ann by the second period, cats out of the bag with his scouting report.
But his two moms don't hold him accountable, so he doesn't take to coaching, has an excuse for everything, which gives home fake confidence in his abilities. One of his mom's runs a Twitter, I want to start a burner account so I can say how I really feel, not like I can go in the locker room and be like hey good effort boys, you played well enough to win, but your goalie equipment s a lazy sack of **** who is 0-5 in his starts, but you guys are 6-0 when the other goalie starts, but it's bantams and I have to play both because of the association made me take both.

This was a really strange post. It started as a sort of defense of a Pitino and ended up with a withering attack on I assume a youth hockey goalie.

Are you having a stroke? Should we call someone?

Billy Donovan’s recommendation didn’t mean anything?

You must not know the history between Billy Donovan and Rick Pitino. Either that or you assume that we don't.

Billy Donovan averaged 11 minutes per game (and something like 3 pts per game) in the year before Rick Pitino arrived at Providence. During Pitino's first year (Donovan's junior year), Donovan averaged over 30 minutes a game and led the team in scoring. During Donovan's senior year, he averaged over 20 points per game and 7 assists per game, Providence went to the final four, and Donovan parlayed those two years into an NBA contract as a first round pick.

Donovan didn't last very long in the NBA. I believe he then worked as a stockbroker but didn't like it and wanted to get into coaching. He contacted Pitino again, Pitino brought him to Kentucky as an assistant, and he spent five years in that position before getting his first coaching job at Marshall (undoubtedly, Pitino provided whatever assistance he could to help Donovan secure that position).

Now asks yourself: given that history with Richard Pitino's father, would you not have given his son a glowing recommendation?

Short answer: Billy Donovan's recommendation shouldn't have meant very much at all.

You must not know the history between Billy Donovan and Rick Pitino. Either that or you assume that we don't.

Billy Donovan averaged 11 minutes per game (and something like 3 pts per game) in the year before Rick Pitino arrived at Providence. During Pitino's first year (Donovan's junior year), Donovan averaged over 30 minutes a game and led the team in scoring. During Donovan's senior year, he averaged over 20 points per game and 7 assists per game, Providence went to the final four, and Donovan parlayed those two years into an NBA contract as a first round pick.

Donovan didn't last very long in the NBA. I believe he then worked as a stockbroker but didn't like it and wanted to get into coaching. He contacted Pitino again, Pitino brought him to Kentucky as an assistant, and he spent five years in that position before getting his first coaching job at Marshall (undoubtedly, Pitino provided whatever assistance he could to help Donovan secure that position).

Now asks yourself: given that history with Richard Pitino's father, would you not have given his son a glowing recommendation?

Short answer: Billy Donovan's recommendation shouldn't have meant very much at all.

I knew the history and knew most of you knew, but the history lesson was nice.

If I thought he was good sure I would give a good recommendation. If I didn't think he was ready or good, I would not have. In business and in life honesty means a lot to me. These coaches are a fraternity yes, but they also don't really like throwing their name in the mud by not giving a positive recommendation.

Of course Richards father has helped in climb in the business quickly, but it's asinine and disrespectful to him to say he hasn't earned anything. I found Norwood to be a moron just as much as everyone else and certainly didn't care for how he ran this hiring, but he didnt hire Pitino by just name alone.

The tourney win was fun, but the 9-11 conference bored the schit out of me. I'm just thankful you can get in with losing conference records.

So you've been bored with gopher basketball pretty much your whole life?

If I thought he was good sure I would give a good recommendation. If I didn't think he was ready or good, I would not have. In business and in life honesty means a lot to me. These coaches are a fraternity yes, but they also don't really like throwing their name in the mud by not giving a positive recommendation.

Of course Richards father has helped in climb in the business quickly, but it's asinine and disrespectful to him to say he hasn't earned anything. I found Norwood to be a moron just as much as everyone else and certainly didn't care for how he ran this hiring, but he didnt hire Pitino by just name alone.

It’s not asinine or disrespectful to say he hasn’t earned anything, it’s simply factual. There is 0.0% chance that he is a Division I assistant coach at age 22 if he had a different last name and was born to a different father. That undeserved position set in motion a career that enabled him to be a Power 5 head coach at age 30. He hasn’t earned anything - everything he has attained to this point is due to his blood. He seems like a great guy and someone I’d be happy to call my friend, but he is not a good Big Ten head basketball coach (to put it mildly) and I’d rather have an asshole who is a quality coach than a cool guy who sucks at his job.

I didn't say Richard hasn't earned anything. I believe he's earned a 7th year based on what he did last year. I do not believe he has earned an 8th yet.

I guess asking you "what you would have done" if you were Billy Donovan was a poor choice on my part. Perhaps you really are extremely principled or you just like to tell everyone that you are.

I'm sure Pitino Jr. was good enough to get a recommendation for some position, but I suspect that, absent a very important relationship, a 31 year old with little coaching or playing experience probably wouldn't have been the first candidate to come to the mind of an established coach's when thinking about the ideal candidate for a head coaching job in the Big Ten conference.

It’s not asinine or disrespectful to say he hasn’t earned anything, it’s simply factual. There is 0.0% chance that he is a Division I assistant coach at age 22 if he had a different last name and was born to a different father. That undeserved position set in motion a career that enabled him to be a Power 5 head coach at age 30. He hasn’t earned anything - everything he has attained to this point is due to his blood. He seems like a great guy and someone I’d be happy to call my friend, but he is not a good Big Ten head basketball coach (to put it mildly) and I’d rather have an asshole who is a quality coach than a cool guy who sucks at his job.

Man I love your interjections. I said having his father be a lengendary coach did help him get started. I also said he was unprepared to be a Big Ten coach, but to ignore that he was well thought of on the staffs he was with is assinine and disrespectful. You're right though, he should just not take jobs since he's a Pitino. Hate that argument.

Last edited:

I didn't say Richard hasn't earned anything. I believe he's earned a 7th year based on what he did last year. I do not believe he has earned an 8th yet.

I guess asking you "what you would have done" if you were Billy Donovan was a poor choice on my part. Perhaps you really are extremely principled or you just like to tell everyone that you are.

I'm sure Pitino Jr. was good enough to get a recommendation for some position, but I suspect that, absent a very important relationship, a 31 year old with little coaching or playing experience probably wouldn't have been the first candidate to come to the mind of an established coach's when thinking about the ideal candidate for a head coaching job in the Big Ten conference.

No doubt his career was accelerated by being a Pitino. Don't disagree there at all, but he didn't get everything handed to him is my only argument. Agree on the 8th year as well. I just have more confidence that this ship will get righted still this year.

Man I love your interjections. I said having his father be a lengendary coach did help him get started. I also said he wasn't unprepared to be a Big Ten coach, but to ignore that he was well thought of on the staffs he was with is assinine and disrespectful. You're right though, he should just not take jobs since he's a Pitino. Hate that argument.

I’m not blaming him for seeking out jobs or accepting them, I’m blaming the athletic directors who hire him and retain him despite his lack of ability, achievement, and qualifications.

I’m not blaming him for seeking out jobs or accepting them, I’m blaming the athletic directors who hire him and retain him despite his lack of ability, achievement, and qualifications.

What does he lack in ability? Have you seen him run a practice, been in the room for his player evals, X's and O's? What should he have done differently in your opinion. I appreciate your use of data and fact based evidence so I'd like to hear your opinion. Fully aware results are poor so let's move beyond that.

Correct he didn't have qualifications or enough achievemeant yet. Who should we have gotten instead?

What does he lack in ability? Have you seen him run a practice, been in the room for his player evals, X's and O's? What should he have done differently in your opinion. I appreciate your use of data and fact based evidence so I'd like to hear your opinion. Fully aware results are poor so let's move beyond that.

Correct he didn't have qualifications or enough achievemeant yet. Who should we have gotten instead?

You ask me for data, and then say I can’t use results. The results are the data. Nothing more needs to be said. If he had the ability, we wouldn’t be staring another historically bad season in the face in year 7.

You ask me for data, and then say I can’t use results. The results are the data. Nothing more needs to be said. If he had the ability, we wouldn’t be staring another historically bad season in the face in year 7.

Ok then, why are the results bad. What specifically do you feel he should've done better?

Thanks for the addition and depth to your opinions. No wonder so many like you on here lol

Again, these aren’t my opinions, these are facts. He is, in fact, bad at his job and, in fact, needs to win a lot more games.

I literally could not care less whether anyone here likes me.

Again, these aren’t my opinions, these are facts. He is, in fact, bad at his job and, in fact, needs to win a lot more games.

I literally could not care less whether anyone here likes me.

Correct was hoping for a deeper discussion. You wouldn’t post the way to you unless you enjoyed people not caring for you though. That’s fact as well. :)

Just ignore Dolly. He hasn't had his Oreos yet for the day. Once he eats a couple sleeves of Mega Stuffs he'll settle down and go back in his hole.

Top Bottom