Gophers-Iowa gets 1.68 million viewers...makes top 10 most watched

More than 4X as many were watching Tennessee vs Alabama in the same TV window on CBS.

The TVs numbers for Iowa & Minnesota are nothing to brag about.
There are about 60 Div 1 football games broadcast each week. Being in the top 10 most popular games is a much bigger deal than you think. It keeps the Gophers in national exposure which helps both recruiting and fan support.

There are about 60 Div 1 football games broadcast each week. Being in the top 10 most popular games is a much bigger deal than you think. It keeps the Gophers in national exposure which helps both recruiting and fan support.
I'm not saying it isn't a big deal. There were 10 games featuring 20 teams on the traditional networks (2 CBS, 2 NBC, 3 FOX & 3 ABC).

Is it great to be one of those 20 teams featured? Yes. Far better than not being featured as they will be for at least the next 2 weeks on BTN.
It can also be underwhelming that the ratings were at the bottom, or nearly the bottom of those 10 games. They did outdraw Air Force at Navy.

Both things can be true.

I'm not sure why correcting you on the full picture of the TV ratings has to dampen your enthusiasm or positivity about the Gophers in general. It's doesn't detract my enjoyment of the victory one iota.

The game itself was not very aesthetically pleasing. Understatement. Iowa's star players are the Punter and Punt Returner. Not going to attract many eyeballs.

It's just a fact that not that many outside the Iowa/Minnesota fanbases were tuned in. That's ok.

It's subjective, but I I respectfully disagree about the aesthetics.

I thoroughly enjoy watching FleckBall. Today vs MSU was a great example. As a football fan, I love it.

I thoroughly enjoy watching FleckBall. Today vs MSU was a great example. As a football fan, I love it.
Scoring touchdowns as they did today was aestheticly pleasing. So was holding Mich St to FGs after the fumbles and just 1 TD overall.

I'm fine watching Fleckball too, but most of today's first half on offense wasn't that, it was just ugly.

I mean.....it was on NBC. Out of the network channel games.....we had the lowest viewership with the exception of Navy/Air Force. Not exactly a feather in the cap.

I'm fine watching Fleckball too, but most of today's first half on offense wasn't that, it was just ugly.
One of the pillars of Fleckball is ball security. That was a problem today.

Top Bottom