Gophers goalie Wilcox among 70 Hobey nominees

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the STrib:

Gophers goalie Adam Wilcox made the list of nominees for the Hobey Baker Award on Tuesday and also was named the Big Ten’s third star of the week.

Wilcox is the Gophers’ lone candidate for the Hobey, the award given annually to the nation’s top player. He has a 2.12 goals-against average and a .923 save percentage.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/240208221.html

Go Gophers!!

I'd love to a Gopher get it, but there's no way in hell it's going to happen with Wilcox. He's 19th in GAA, 20th in Save %, and has exactly as many shutouts as Mike Shibrowski. He has been very solid, but he absolutely doesn't deserve to be in the Hobey contention.

I'm kind of liking how the Gophers are so highly rated, yet if you go look at how the individual Gophers rank nationally, they are barely noticeable. In this day and age of players bolting to the NHL after 3, 2 and even after just 1 year, not having any superstars on the team could prevent what happened last year, the mass bolting early of so many Gopher players. Now we seem to be doing just fine without the players who left, but if it happens every year, it would eventually be too hard to overcome. The top scorers on the team are mostly Freshmen, and then Juniors, with the Seniors coming in behind the Sophmores. This could bode well for next year. We could likely have almost the same team back next year with almost 95% of our goal scoring coming back if no one bolts early for the NHL.

Then maybe next year we can hope someone catches on fire and has a shot at winning the Hobey. Maybe even Wilcox?! That would be the best gift of all if he made the biggest improvement because its almost never that goalies bolt earlier for the NHL, right?! Although you couldn't blame him if he did win the Hobey for taking advantage of the moment and avoiding the risk of injury and all.

I'm kind of liking how the Gophers are so highly rated, yet if you go look at how the individual Gophers rank nationally, they are barely noticeable. In this day and age of players bolting to the NHL after 3, 2 and even after just 1 year, not having any superstars on the team could prevent what happened last year, the mass bolting early of so many Gopher players. Now we seem to be doing just fine without the players who left, but if it happens every year, it would eventually be too hard to overcome. The top scorers on the team are mostly Freshmen, and then Juniors, with the Seniors coming in behind the Sophmores. This could bode well for next year. We could likely have almost the same team back next year with almost 95% of our goal scoring coming back if no one bolts early for the NHL.

Then maybe next year we can hope someone catches on fire and has a shot at winning the Hobey. Maybe even Wilcox?! That would be the best gift of all if he made the biggest improvement because its almost never that goalies bolt earlier for the NHL, right?! Although you couldn't blame him if he did win the Hobey for taking advantage of the moment and avoiding the risk of injury and all.

Agree. Winning the Hobey is cool and all, but I'll take the No. 1 ranking and first place in the Big Ten over that anytime. What I would really like of course is another national title, but those don't come around every day. Maybe they'll get there, maybe they won't. But overall, I like where they are at. I also like the fact that we really don't have a definite superstar that catches all the headlines, like Nick Bjugstad the past few years or even when Phil Kessel was here. Rather, it's definitely a balanced team that can come at you from a variety of places, which is always nice. In addition, I like the fact that while we still have a boatload of NHL draft picks (like always), most of these guys are multiple-year-in-college type of players. Hopefully, that bodes well for the future.

Top Bottom