Gophers get Transfer DB from Miami (OH) Rowan Zolman

Of course i'll be pulling for him, but it feels like we're just grasping at straws to fill holes on defense at this point. We really got nailed by the portal on D. Brace yourselves for a DT transfer from another rando MAC school.
Yes because this staff has brought in so many useless rando transfers that haven’t contributed anything. Why the pessimism? Just cause he’s from a MAC school? If we can find a MAC transfer at DT that is as good as our Houston Baptist transfer that’d be great!

Yes because this staff has brought in so many useless rando transfers that haven’t contributed anything. Why the pessimism? Just cause he’s from a MAC school? If we can find a MAC transfer at DT that is as good as our Houston Baptist transfer that’d be great!
I can't stand the non-power 5 slander that constantly happens. Why do people always want a nonproven / nonstarter from a power 5 who got berried on the depth chart compared to a top end talent in a group of 5 conference.

just because they get recruited with a star value doesn't automatically mean their talent translates to college ball. Such casual takes from some people

This is a really intriguing addition. When Fleck came in, he stated multiple times that he didn't want to look at transfers for short-term solutions. That hasn't been the case for several reasons, but finding a player that can contribute on ST and as depth in the short term with long-term upside would seem to be more consistent with Fleck's roster management preferences.

I can't stand the non-power 5 slander that constantly happens. Why do people always want a nonproven / nonstarter from a power 5 who got berried on the depth chart compared to a top end talent in a group of 5 conference.

just because they get recruited with a star value doesn't automatically mean their talent translates to college ball. Such casual takes from some people
I agree. Recruiting is such an inexact science. This guy has good size. I think he will be a good pick-up for defense.

I agree. Recruiting is such an inexact science. This guy has good size. I think he will be a good pick-up for defense.
Some people blossom late. PJ gets it. Easier to snag rising stars from lower rungs than fallen stars from the higher rungs. And the rising stars are truly grateful. They might not be plug and play, but you get them for several years.

Last edited:

This guy had one start last year. Don’t know how you could claim he is a top end talent at this point in time

Of course i'll be pulling for him, but it feels like we're just grasping at straws to fill holes on defense at this point. We really got nailed by the portal on D. Brace yourselves for a DT transfer from another rando MAC school.
Kind of in between your line of thought and some of the rosier comments in this thread. The kid is 6'4 and is a verified good athlete with his track results from high school. I also don't think it should be discounted that he played as a true Freshman for Miami including starting a game. Kids that can come in and get on the field that early usually turn out well.

You would think Fleck's record with transfers would earn him some leeway as more often then not the guys he brings in end up being quality contributors for us.

As for Zolman we really don't know what role they have him pegged for and this could definitely be more of a future move as opposed to looking for a guy to fill an immediate need given his age.

You would think Fleck's record with transfers would earn him some leeway as more often then not the guys he brings in end up being quality contributors for us.

As for Zolman we really don't know what role they have him pegged for and this could definitely be more of a future move as opposed to looking for a guy to fill an immediate need given his age.

He is going to be competing with Gerlach for Sam LB snaps right off the bat. Also, Rossi is apparently VERY excited about this kid. To note: we have an analyst who came over from Miami of Ohio (Koehler) this offseason, so they had very good inside info on Zolman.

Agree. And when we land a 4star guy then rankings do matter
Because out of high school four stars turn out better than three stars very generally. But in the transfer portal it’s not so important where they come from or how many stars they had in high school. At least we haven’t seen data showing that.

Because out of high school four stars turn out better than three stars very generally. But in the transfer portal it’s not so important where they come from or how many stars they had in high school. At least we haven’t seen data showing that.
As soon as a kids college career starts his high school rating is completely meaningless (not that it was ever all that meaningful to begin with).

Sadly there are still some fans that will judge transfers based on what the recruiting sites thought they were going to be out of high school or where they committed.

As soon as a kids college career starts his high school rating is completely meaningless (not that it was ever all that meaningful to begin with).

Sadly there are still some fans that will judge transfers based on what the recruiting sites thought they were going to be out of high school or where they committed.
You get a lot more data points on a transfer than on a high school kid. Especially when you brought over a coach that worked with this particular kid for a year.

You get a lot more data points on a transfer than on a high school kid. Especially when you brought over a coach that worked with this particular kid for a year.
Yep, which is why I could care less where we get our transfers from. If the kid can play and help us it doesn't matter what 247 thought about him coming out of high school or what level the school he is coming from played at.

Will be very interesting to see what Zolman is able to do. Definitely feels like there is some potential for this to be one of those under the radar pickups that turns out to be awesome. Let's hope that is the case.

Yep, which is why I could care less where we get our transfers from. If the kid can play and help us it doesn't matter what 247 thought about him coming out of high school or what level the school he is coming from played at.

Will be very interesting to see what Zolman is able to do. Definitely feels like there is some potential for this to be one of those under the radar pickups that turns out to be awesome. Let's hope that is the case.
This was an opportunity to pick up a kid with long-term value. If he contributes on special teams this year, great. If he gets a role on defense his last two years, better yet.

Rowan.

Attachments

• 4CDA473B-1D1E-450D-9C01-7822DA3A3B53.jpeg
    4CDA473B-1D1E-450D-9C01-7822DA3A3B53.jpeg
    37.3 KB · Views: 1

He is going to be competing with Gerlach for Sam LB snaps right off the bat. Also, Rossi is apparently VERY excited about this kid. To note: we have an analyst who came over from Miami of Ohio (Koehler) this offseason, so they had very good inside info on Zolman.
This! I could see him having a Mike Rallis or Blake Cashman type trajectory. Both came in as safeties, starred on special teams, and then became huge contributors for us at LB.

People had boners over Wright the 4* wr from A&M it happens all the time

Top Bottom