Gophers Game Preview: Minnesota Needs to Win, Impress Against Ohio For Homecoming

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Gophers Game Preview: Minnesota Needs to Win, Impress Against Ohio For Homecoming
By Grant Erickson and Travis Erickson

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/557057?referrer_id=388419

Ohio (3-0 overall, MAC 0-0) at Minnesota (2-1 overall, 0-0 Big Ten)
When: Saturday, 2:30 p.m. CT – Minneapolis, Minn.
Stadium: TCF Bank Stadium (52,525)
TV/Radio: Big Ten Network, KFAN 100.3
Series: Minnesota leads the series 8-1-1
Last Meeting: August 13, 2003; Minnesota won 42-20 in Athens, Ohio
Coach: Frank Solich (11th season, 74-56)
National Championships: Ohio (0); Minnesota (7)

INSIDE THE GAME

Ohio Offense

Former Nebraska coach and current Ohio head coach, Frank Solich, has a lengthy resume from over 40 years on a football sideline. At Ohio, Solich has moved toward a more open offense rather than the power football he employed in Lincoln.

“It's still some option foundation and some things like that, but formationally-wise and things like that it's a lot more of a one-back type of running game and more open formations than tight ends and power football,” said Claeys. “They're spreading you out more like everybody else is.”

Hearing the Boos

Jerry Kill noted that he couldn’t hear the offense getting booed off the field on Saturday, but seemed to understand that Minnesota will have to improve on that side of the ball against Ohio.

“The way I look at it, they pay a ticket, they can boo,” said Kill. “Hell, I'd have booed. I might not have booed, I might have been screaming and yelling. I mean, my wife asked me the same question after the press conference. She said, well, you didn't play very good on offense.”

Depleted Line

One way for Minnesota to improve their offense against the Bobcats will be to get greater push up front. The hobbled offensive line has put in work this week to improve on last Saturday’s disappointing performance.

“Just go out and work every day,” said Matt Limegrover when asked how his line could get better. “You know, I mean, you've got to mix and match. You've got to find some things that maybe guys you didn't think they were strong in an area.”

Matchup to Watch

Ohio passing attack vs. Minnesota defensive backs — Despite battling injuries, the Golden Gophers’ secondary has been consistently stout this season. Minnesota ranks third in pass defense efficiency and fourth in pass defense in the Big Ten. The experienced and athletic Minnesota defensive backs will be the toughest test for Ohio this season.

“We’ll get tested heavily this week because their defensive backs are very good,” said Frank Solich. “It is not going to be a deal where we can just throw the ball up. We are going to have some guys open, and hit them when they are.”

STORYLINE CENTRAL

Luke O’Roark of The Post
details Ohio’s underdog mentality entering Saturday’s game. The 3-0 Bobcats respect Jerry Kill and the Gophers but are eager to prove themselves against a Power 5 opponent like Minnesota.

Jason Arkley of The Athens Messenger has a similar take; writing about Ohio’s transition from favorite to underdog. Last week, against FCS Southeastern Louisiana, the favored Bobcats easily took care of business, 35-14. Saturday brings the reverse where Ohio finds itself as a 10-point underdog.

Also from Jason Arkley, the Bobcats are well aware of Minnesota’s stingy defense. Arkley notes that Southeastern Louisiana stacked the box and was able to limit Ohio to just 115 yards rushing.

WHO WINS?

The Gophers Win If…

They can win the turnover battle. Against Kent State, the Gophers lost the turnover battle and lost it badly – throwing two interceptions and allowing an 80-yard fumble return for a touchdown. By giving the ball up three times, the Gophers let the Golden Flashes stay in the game, something they want to avoid against Ohio.

“I just was listening to Kirk Ferentz talk about back when he got the job, when they went to the Rose Bowl and so forth, offensively they weren't very good,” said Kill. “They were great on defense and special teams, and he said we just didn't turn the ball over and were smart.”

The Bobcats Win If…

They can find a way to exploit the Gophers’ defense through the air. Obviously, that won’t be easy. Through three games, Minnesota’s pass defense has been exceptional – ranking 18th in the country by allowing less than 150 passing yards per game. The Gophers were successful stopping the Kent State passing game but will see more talented receivers this week.

“The running game stuff for the most part will be similar to what we've seen last week with a little bit more option to it, but the biggest difference is the passing game,” said Tracy Claeys. “If you put too many in the box, they do have some skilled receivers that can catch the ball and make some big plays.”

I think the key is whether Ohio is successful in selling out against the run.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom