Gophers defense was record-setting good vs. New Mexico State

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

Minnesota allowed only 33 offensive plays, which set a program mark for fewest plays run by an opposing team in a game. Nebraska in 1960 and Middle Tennessee State in 2010 each ran 40 plays in a game.

Go Gophers!!

when the punter and the defense are bored those are champagne problems
One thing is certain....the Iowa punter is not going to have any issues with boredom this season. Heck at some point they may just decide to speed the process of getting their defense back on the field and just punt on first down. Might improve their scoring chances.

One thing is certain....the Iowa punter is not going to have any issues with boredom this season. Heck at some point they may just decide to speed the process of getting their defense back on the field and just punt on first down. Might improve their scoring chances.
It'd be safer to kneel three times and then punt

New Mexico St didn't run a play in Gophers territory until under 13 minutes remained in the game. They ran a total of 3 plays on the Minnesota half of the field.

The Waterboy

New Mexico St didn't run a play in Gophers territory until under 13 minutes remained in the game. They ran a total of 3 plays on the Minnesota half of the field.
I noticed that too. I kept turning to my friends asking "have they been in MN territory yet?"

Problem there is that each kneel down costs you yards....and the goal would be to pin the opponent as deep in their territory as possible. Running offensive plays just increases the odds of losing valuable yardage that the punter might not be able to overcome.

The most amazing part of that Iowa game was that their offense had phenomenal starting field position all game and still managed to only score 3 points.

Top Bottom