Gophers Coaching New Look in 2024

hungan1

Reaction score
What are they going to do in Offense and Defense with Rossi gone? Is Harbaugh still going to be the OC?

What changes are forthcoming?

The Gophers need to keep up with the changes or go spiraling down to the bottom of the Big Ten.

I’m not expecting any offensive of changes.

The plays were there offensively, the players just execute for the most part.

Defense is still a mystery.
Yep....at this point seems like the offensive staff won't be changing so hopefully better play from the QB position a healthy Taylor and hopefully some more consistent play out of the receivers leads to improvement on that side of the ball.

Defense - looks like the DC is going to come from outside. Gotta think better health and depth at the LB position will go a long way towards fixing many of the issues we saw this year. But remains to be seen what the D will look like in 2024. So far have had minimal transfer loses on that side of the ball and have already brought in some new faces. Perich is a wild card, if he can come in and play right away that could provide a huge boost to the D next year.

Fleck is still the head coach.

any changes - I think - will be relatively minor. Tweaks, not overhauls.

the DC hire will be interesting because, in the past, Fleck pretty much left Rossi alone to do his thing. will he keep that stance with a new DC?

on offense - well, if you go out and sign one of the top QB's in FCS, I would think that you would want to use him. no sense bringing in a guy like that to just hand off the ball. So, I would at least hope that the offense would see a little more passing - or should I say more creative passing. that's the chicken-and-egg debate: was Harbaugh holding back the offense - or was the offense held by by the QB's lack of execution? next year we'll get to see what the offense looks like with a different QB at the helm.

Fleck is still the head coach.

any changes - I think - will be relatively minor. Tweaks, not overhauls.

the DC hire will be interesting because, in the past, Fleck pretty much left Rossi alone to do his thing. will he keep that stance with a new DC?

on offense - well, if you go out and sign one of the top QB's in FCS, I would think that you would want to use him. no sense bringing in a guy like that to just hand off the ball. So, I would at least hope that the offense would see a little more passing - or should I say more creative passing. that's the chicken-and-egg debate: was Harbaugh holding back the offense - or was the offense held by by the QB's lack of execution? next year we'll get to see what the offense looks like with a different QB at the helm.
Our offense left a lot of plays on the field this season with dropped TDs and inaccurate or uncatchable throws from the QB. Plus we were decimated at RB by injuries.

Obviously we can't say for certain that Harbaugh wasn't the problem but I like our chances of having a vastly improved offense with....

An experienced QB who has had a ton of success at the FCS level.
A healthy Taylor with a solid #2 option in Bangura behind him
WR is still a bit of a question mark but having Jackson and Brockington should give Brosmer some options to work with.
Most of the O-Line returning.

I'm not cutting PJ (and co) any slack here on playcalling but it's really difficult to mix in passing on early downs when your accuracy is so awful you miss on the easy ones. Unfortunately for us, 2nd and 10 was a borderline death sentence.

If Mythical Max can just hit the easy ones, I expect we'll see a slightly less predictable offense.

On defense, no clue.

The lack of experience and depth at LB really hurt the D this season. If Lindenberg and an experienced Maverick can play day one, we should be much improved there. If some young LBs have developed, for depth and rotation, that is better still. And, Mason Carrier … might have as good a chance as Koi to see some action as a Frosh. Wouldn’t be surprised if PJ brought in an experienced grad transfer LB for rotation, stability, mentoring, etc., but it has to be someone more ready to plug and play in the B1G than Selig was.

I am more concerned about the D backfield, simply because the spiritual leader, Nubin, is gone. Green, Bryson, Gousby and Koi bring a lot of athleticism to the Safety position, but experience and canniness must be gained. I think we start with two good Corners, but experienced depth will be an issue. Hope in long passing downs we either get more aggressive with blitzing, or we learn how a zone 7-8 person should be played so that it isn’t Swiss Cheese (i.e., copy Iowa’s active and smothering zone defense).

Last edited:

I thought this thread was going to be about PJ's eyes again.
👁️👁️

Last edited:

Top Bottom