Gophers, Buckeyes lead Big Ten in preseason All-Conference picks on offense

swingman

Reaction score
from FOX-9:

Earlier this week, Phil Steele Publications released its preseason All-Big Ten teams, and 10 Gophers are on it. Minnesota had seven offensive, and three defensive players selected. The seven offensive players matches Ohio State for the most in the Big Ten.

Offensive lineman Conner Olson, and running back Mo Ibrahim were selected First Team All-Big Ten. Olson is one of the anchors of an offensive line that brings back everyone from the 2020 season, and adds Daniel Fa’alele back after opting out, and should have Curtis Dunlap Jr. back from injury. Ibrahim returns as the reigning Big Ten Running Back of the Year after leading the league in rushing (1,076 yards) and rushing touchdowns (15) despite having two games canceled due to COVID-19 issues.

Quarterback Tanner Morgan and offensive lineman Blaise Andries were named to the second team. Morgan had a historic sophomore season in 2019, leading the Gophers to an 11-2 record and win over Auburn in the Outback Bowl. Wide receiver Chris Autman-Bell, and offensive linemen John Michael Schmitz and Fa’alele were selected Third Team. Autman-Bell returns as Minnesota’s leading receiver from last season after making 22 catches for 430 yards, averaging 19.5 yards per catch, and scoring one touchdown.

The Gophers had defensive back Coney Durr and defensive lineman Nyles Pinckney selected Third team. Linebacker Mariano Sori-Marin was also selected Fourth Team. Durr finished fourth on the Gophers last year with 29 tackles in seven games, adding one interception and five pass break-ups. Pinckney, a transfer from Clemson, will be an immediate contributor on the defensive line and Sori-Marin led the Minnesota defense with 54 tackles las season.

Seven out of 11 is pretty damn good. Doesn't even include Dunlap. Jackson could probably find his way onto the list too.

Seven out of 11 is pretty damn good. Doesn't even include Dunlap. Jackson could probably find his way onto the list too.
Kieft might get NFL looks...NFL loves physical blocking backs.
Schlueter was AllBig HM last two years.
Agree on Jackson. Fleck/Simon can coach up WRs like nobody.

On defense, I hope Mafe uses this as bulletin board material...measureables make him a NFL prospect; needs to prove it on the field.

Post-season, won't be surprised to see Treadway on this list.

Well, gee... as we Minnesotans like to say, when something wonderful occurs:

Ya. Not too bad. Could be worse.

1. I have no idea how Mafe is not on this list.
  2. Did you ever think you'd see a Gophers QB on any preseason all-B1G list -- let alone 2nd team?
  3. The OL. Wow.
  4. No way MSM makes an all-B1G team.
  5. Love the Pinckney pick. He'll be a stud.

And yet I’m seeing predictions of 6-6 and 5-7 for the Gophers this year. I’m seeing some optimistic predictions as well, I’m just amazed at some of the doubtful pessimistic forecasts.

And yet I’m seeing predictions of 6-6 and 5-7 for the Gophers this year. I’m seeing some optimistic predictions as well, I’m just amazed at some of the doubtful pessimistic forecasts.
If you look at the schedule, we have a lot of toss up games. I am optimistic, but I can see why others aren't. Every game is winnable (maybe not OSU so much), but the following games will all be difficult and could be losses.

OSU
@iowa
Wisc
@NW
@Purdue
@Colorado
@ Indiana

Throw in a letdown loss or two and it's not out of the question. Not saying I agree with 6-6, but I get it.

draft.gif

Gophers are still a team where as far as anyone outside is concerned:

"Prove you can win at a higher level consistently... and then we'll feel like we can pick you to do better."

Considering their history, that's fair.

Until then, as far as most folks predicting things, dark horse type predictions are going to be their peak off-season type predictions.

Top Bottom