Gophers big man Eric Curry cleared for some full contact to open first practice

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

The Gophers are being careful with junior big man Eric Curry this fall, so he can progress toward making an impact again after two injury-plagued seasons.

Curry, who missed a total of 19 games of the 2018-19 season with knee and foot injuries, participated in full contact drills in Tuesday’s first official practice of the seaso

“He’s very, very important when he’s healthy, but he’s missed a lot of time,” Gophers coach Richard Pitino said Tuesday. “He did 45 to 50 minutes of non-contact (Monday), and he did some contact. But still we’re bringing him along slowly. We’ll be able to rev that up every couple weeks.”

During 3-on-3 drills Tuesday, Curry competed in full contact. He boxed out for rebounds. He posted up. He tried his best to defend the paint and guard ball screens. After scoring on a baseline layup over Drexel transfer Alihan Demir during one sequence, Curry's teammates cheered him on. He ended practice standing and watching the 5-on-5 session.

When asked if Curry would be ready to play for the Nov. 5 season opener vs. Cleveland State," Pitino said he “would anticipate that."

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...ull-contact-to-open-first-practice/561246962/

Go Gophers!!

Crossing fingers, eyes, and toes that he can stay healthy this year!

He's a smart player, and I think the best passing big man we've had in quite some time. He just looked tethered to the ground last year. I hope he's healthy.

He's a smart player, and I think the best passing big man we've had in quite some time. He just looked tethered to the ground last year. I hope he's healthy.

I see guys like Cook and Bridgewater and how far they have come from their injury, it makes me hopeful.

Hopefully those statements are about the injuries he has already endured.

The tweet she linked in her comment just said he wasn't fully cleared yet, but is looking good.

A fully recovered and effective Curry is critical for the team. Oturu played 24mpg last season and a back up is essential

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

This is so sad. Curry had such a promising career just completely derailed by injury. He really should strongly consider a medical retirement at this point.

At this point it's pretty safe to say we'll have a 4th spot opening for 2020.

Tough Break...The Doctors need to determine if he is fit to continue to pursue college basketball...health trumps hoops... Could get a 6th year earn a Masters at the U and leave here with a bright future

CRAP. Let me start of by saying I hope it's not too serious (ie. season-ending); glad it's not the same knee as 2017. Worst-case, if it is season-ending, there are two ways it could play out:

1. He gets to use another redshirt year and a 6th year since it's another season lost to injury (ala Rodney Smith or Micah Dew-Treadway in football) and still has two years of eligibility left.

2. If the injuries are too much, I assume he will graduate after this season and he may choose to medically retire.

Obviously, very much hope he is okay and can return. Such a cruel journey Eric's has been with all these injuries. :(

Hope it's minor but man he cannot catch a break.

Omersa will need to step up now.

Dang, how do you go from almost cleared to out indefinitely with another knee injury... he really can't catch a break

Should have kept his brace on.

Poor kid.

Damn, that sucks. Both knees now?

Top Bottom