Gophers big man Eric Curry cleared for some full contact to open first practice

BleedGopher

Administrator
per Marcus:

The Gophers are being careful with junior big man Eric Curry this fall, so he can progress toward making an impact again after two injury-plagued seasons.

Curry, who missed a total of 19 games of the 2018-19 season with knee and foot injuries, participated in full contact drills in Tuesday’s first official practice of the seaso

“He’s very, very important when he’s healthy, but he’s missed a lot of time,” Gophers coach Richard Pitino said Tuesday. “He did 45 to 50 minutes of non-contact (Monday), and he did some contact. But still we’re bringing him along slowly. We’ll be able to rev that up every couple weeks.”

During 3-on-3 drills Tuesday, Curry competed in full contact. He boxed out for rebounds. He posted up. He tried his best to defend the paint and guard ball screens. After scoring on a baseline layup over Drexel transfer Alihan Demir during one sequence, Curry's teammates cheered him on. He ended practice standing and watching the 5-on-5 session.

When asked if Curry would be ready to play for the Nov. 5 season opener vs. Cleveland State," Pitino said he “would anticipate that."

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-big-man-eric-curry-cleared-for-some-full-contact-to-open-first-practice/561246962/

Go Gophers!!

Urbandale

He's a smart player, and I think the best passing big man we've had in quite some time. He just looked tethered to the ground last year. I hope he's healthy.

jovs

He's a smart player, and I think the best passing big man we've had in quite some time. He just looked tethered to the ground last year. I hope he's healthy.
I see guys like Cook and Bridgewater and how far they have come from their injury, it makes me hopeful.

theczar

A fully recovered and effective Curry is critical for the team. Oturu played 24mpg last season and a back up is essential

Zeppelin Gopher

This is so sad. Curry had such a promising career just completely derailed by injury. He really should strongly consider a medical retirement at this point.

At this point it's pretty safe to say we'll have a 4th spot opening for 2020.

theczar

Tough Break...The Doctors need to determine if he is fit to continue to pursue college basketball...health trumps hoops... Could get a 6th year earn a Masters at the U and leave here with a bright future

WriterGoph

CRAP. Let me start of by saying I hope it's not too serious (ie. season-ending); glad it's not the same knee as 2017. Worst-case, if it is season-ending, there are two ways it could play out:

1. He gets to use another redshirt year and a 6th year since it's another season lost to injury (ala Rodney Smith or Micah Dew-Treadway in football) and still has two years of eligibility left.

2. If the injuries are too much, I assume he will graduate after this season and he may choose to medically retire.

Obviously, very much hope he is okay and can return. Such a cruel journey Eric's has been with all these injuries. :(

Latest profile posts