Gophers at #10 in CFP poll

Big Time!

You know you've made it when you lose a game and are still in the top 10.

Not bad at all. Higher than I expected us. Like they said on the show, everything is still in front of us. We have a clear path to a Rose Bowl or CFP spot.

They also moved Iowa up to 17, as the second highest 3 loss team.

Lots of respect for the big ten in these rankings

Oh boy oh boy oh boy! My fam is headed to Northwestern and this will make for a great road trip

We could easily be #8 instead of Penn St, but they put them there for the game this weekend. Will be a great gauge of how much higher OSU is then the rest of the conf.

Very fair ranking - but idiotic that we're behind PSU.

Actually a fair ranking. PSU ahead of us because they lost to a better team than we did.

If we beat NW and WI, hard to keep us behind Oregon (or even Bama / Georgia at that point.

If we lose to NW or WI it all doesn't matter and we can just worry about Bowl games.

Well PSU has wins over #13 Michigan, #17 Iowa, IU who was top 25 last week and a 7-3 Pitt so not too surprising that some would argue they still have the better overall resume even if we won the head to head.

Their explanation was that Penn State has a win over Michigan that helps them. They beat newly ranked Indiana. They beat Iowa. And now they consider the win over Pitt to be something of value since they’re 7-3 as of right now. They’re only 2 spots ahead of us, and things will kinda play themselves out. Penn State has to play OSU, if they lose and we beat Wisconsin the following week we should be easily ahead of them. 11-1 Minnesota with wins over Penn State and Wisconsin should end up ahead of 10-2 Penn State with wins over Michigan, Iowa, Indiana, and Pitt. But if we go to the big ten championship and get beat, we’d probably drop behind them again. I don’t know, it’ll be interesting.

Well PSU has wins over #13 Michigan, #17 Iowa, IU who was top 25 last week and a 7-3 Pitt so not too surprising that some would argue they still have the better overall resume even if we won the head to head.
Assuming the same record, head-to-head has to be the tiebreaker. It has to be. Otherwise there is no point in playing the games. Strength of schedule and resume and all the other things come into play when the two teams haven't played each other.

Lol, for extra fun they played out the scenario if MN wins out. Most think they would be in the CFP. Of course, none of them believe the Gophers can win against OSU. But, they ruminated on how fun the selection process would be if we somehow upset them.

If we’d have beaten Iowa, there’d be no question. We would probably be up a spot from where we were before.
Agreed, we'd have jumped Utah with a win, and possibly even Oregon.

Just win out, all we can do at this point. Top 10 is still damn good.

I didn't get to watch the show. Which rationalization did they go with for that: "Body of Work" or "Eye Test"?

Very happy to be eating crow right now.

They still have PSU in rose bowl over the Gophers but I bet that all changes if we win and Ohio St

This is three games out, but if we happen to beat NW and WI.
Then if we play OSU and win, how do you not take MN over OSU?
I would find it odd to not take the winner of that game.

Big problem to have down the line but meaningless if we lose one of our next two.

per Paul:

CFP Committee chair Rob Mullens explains decision to drop Minnesota behind Penn State on latest rankings

Why did Minnesota slide behind a team it has a head-to-head victory over? CFP Committee chair Rob Mullens explained the decision:

“Well we certainly had a lot of discussion and if you’re in the room there’s a lot of things that we consider,” explained Mullens. “Head to head is one piece, they also had a conference loss to Iowa, an opponent who Penn State beat. And then you look at Penn State’s resume and the win against Michigan is impressive, and they have the best non-conference win, beating a 7-3 Pittsburgh team.”

Kirk Herbstreit went on to discuss that rationale. He admitted the Committee was in a difficult spot debating between the two teams and it was good to see some of their rationale explained:

“I thought his answer not only told you a lot about those two teams, but how the committee evaluates things,” said Herbstreit. “They were put in a tough spot, where Penn State lost to Minnesota just a couple of weeks ago, and then you have the rankings today with Minnesota losing last weekend to Iowa and now Penn State is ahead of them. He mentioned that the head to head is one component.”

Go Gophers!!

The guy cites the fact that PSU won at Iowa, a common opponent.

Hmm, too bad there isn't any more recent, direct way to compare the two teams...

Guys ... they only put PSU higher this week so that the PSU - Ohio St game can be billed as high as possible.

Sure, they’re not “supposed” to do that. But they think it doesn’t matter because:
- they think Ohio St is going to win
- there’s really little difference, at this point, between 10 and 8. We can still do everything we want to do, starting this week, from either position.

To degrade head-to-head is a weak argument. With that logic, a P. St. win would mean that they do not move ahead of Ohio St ? If Ohio St looses this week, look for ‘ bama to move up. That leaves the BIG out of the playoffs.
How Does the committee rank the following one loss teams? If it were to come out this way?

Alabama
Minnesota
Ohio St.
Penn St.
Oregon
Baylor
Utah
Georgia
Oklahoma

Assuming the same record, head-to-head has to be the tiebreaker. It has to be. Otherwise there is no point in playing the games. Strength of schedule and resume and all the other things come into play when the two teams haven't played each other.
Thing is if we win the next 2, lose to Ohio St, and they lose to Ohio St we WON'T have the same record. We will be 11-2 and they will be 10-2. Would have to think that extra Big Ten win has to count for something.

Thing is if we win the next 2, lose to Ohio St, and they lose to Ohio St we WON'T have the same record. We will be 11-2 and they will be 10-2. Would have to think that extra Big Ten win has to count for something.

If we finish with 11 wins and they finish with 10, we should be ranked ahead of them in the final pre-bowl rankings.

I think the Pittsburgh non-conference win for PSU is why the committee decided to the slot them ahead of MN. Don't have too much of a problem with it.

I think the Pittsburgh non-conference win for PSU is why the committee decided to the slot them ahead of MN. Don't have too much of a problem with it.

Combo of Pittsburgh, Michigan and Iowa wins being worth more than us just beating Penn State. I can see the argument both ways, and I'm fine with us being behind them right now. Either we pass them after this week OR we face them a second time in Indy for all the marbles.

Top Bottom