Gophers are in "serious consideration" for the Capital One Bowl. A Q&A with CEO Hogan

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Gophers are in "serious consideration" for the Capital One Bowl. A Q&A with CEO Hogan

Nadine had a long Q&A with the Capital One Bowl CEO:

NB: Nebraska has been there 2 years in a row, is it important for you is it to have different teams come every year or at least every few years?

SH: With all due respect to Nebraska, because they are a great fan base and a fine team, I think that the conference you've seen in 2014 and beyond, everyone is focused on how you can create an atmosphere and a sprit that's good for everyone—that's good for the fans and the market. It keeps things fresh and competitive. It's a delicate balance; you want to put quality team against quality team, but you also need to create the experience that these kids have and keep that fresh and new.

There's no question, that that's a big factor, not only now or moving forward. I'm not sure that Nebraska, and every team at this point in the season, is focused on bigger things. They're trying to get to a championship—potentially win a championship. When that's all done, I'm not sure the team would love to come to Orlando 3 or 4 years in a row.

There's too much football to be played to think about that kind of decision. Minnesota, we're all excited about, and you see they have two of the biggest games of the season to end the season with Wisconsin and Michigan State—these are the teams. Wisconsin, Michigan State, Minnesota, these are the teams that are in the picture. You're probably going to get a team from these three. How do those games go, how does this play out? The stakes couldn't be any bigger than these last weeks.

NB: I know there is a lot of football left to play, but what would the Gophers have to do to be selected by you, or be in serious consideration?

SH: I think they're doing what they need to do to be in serious consideration, they are in serious consideration. Now they just have to win, they have to play it out. The win over Nebraska is a big one, when you look at teams that are tied head-to-head, they have that win on the field. You make a strong argument, they deserve to be the team. If it came down to those two schools, they won on the field and that's important, and you want to honor that, and we've always tried to honor that in Orlando.

If you look back at our history, it's been more about who had the most successful season, and sometimes that's created some repeat scenarios. That will be a nuance that everybody works on. A head to head victory—and they got one against Nebraska. Now they have Wisconsin and Michigan State, if it comes down to it, that's going to be an important factor.

http://www.startribune.com/local/yourvoices/231982221.html

Listening to bowl reps talk is like listening to coaches talk about their next opponent. They use lots of words and say almost nothing of any value. About the only thing I got out of all that is they really don't want Nebraska again. Seems fairly obvious we would need to win out to have any shot at the Capital One bowl, don't really see any other scenario that puts us there.

Yeah, but even if we finish 6-2 and Michigan is 5-3 (or 4-4), you'll hear this same guy say basically that "We usually don't have the opportunity to bring in a marquee team like Michigan to our bowl game. Minnesota is clearly on the rise, and we know they'll have an opportunity to play in our bowl game in the future". That's basically word for word what the azzclown CEO of the Alamo bowl said to us back in 1999. Just substitute "PSU" for "SCum".

Almost did a spittake when this guy preaches about creating an experience for "the kids". It's all about filling hotel rooms. TV ratings come in a close 2nd. Creating a good football matchup or doing what's right rank pretty far down on the list.

FWIW, I think the Outback is better than Cap One from a fan point of view. The venue is better (we saw cops pull a dead body out of lagoon in the parking lot we were tailgating in at Cap One), the restaurants are a LOT better, and there are beaches. When we go to Orlando, we spend as little time there as possible, then hit the Tampa beaches to relax. (If you are traveling with kids, ignore everything I said except the venue part.)

i'm surprised that they are looking at us and not Michigan or Nebraska, so maybe if all of the other bowls are doing the same thing then Wiscy gets the sugar bowl, MSU gets the capital one bowl and we get the Outback ahead of Michigan, NU and Iowa, i will definitely be rooting for Northwestern, Penn State and OSU when they play those teams

Listening to bowl reps talk is like listening to coaches talk about their next opponent. They use lots of words and say almost nothing of any value. About the only thing I got out of all that is they really don't want Nebraska again. Seems fairly obvious we would need to win out to have any shot at the Capital One bowl, don't really see any other scenario that puts us there.

You got that right.

i'm surprised that they are looking at us and not Michigan or Nebraska, so maybe if all of the other bowls are doing the same thing then Wiscy gets the sugar bowl, MSU gets the capital one bowl and we get the Outback ahead of Michigan, NU and Iowa, i will definitely be rooting for Northwestern, Penn State and OSU when they play those teams

That would be best case unless MN wins out.

Have heard all of this before. Eff this guy.

Tough crowd! I thought it was very gracious of him to spend so much time with me. I also did like that he knew our season like the back of his hand, I didn't expect that. I'm sure he prepped for the interview, but it's still good to know that people are at least watching...they were never before.

With 3 weeks left, anything could happen, there are just so many scenarios. We'll make it really easy on ourselves if we just win...and hope that we don't get leap frogged!

Yeah, but even if we finish 6-2 and Michigan is 5-3 (or 4-4), you'll hear this same guy say basically that "We usually don't have the opportunity to bring in a marquee team like Michigan to our bowl game.

If Minnesota finishes 10-2 (6-2) and Michigan finishes 8-4 (4-4), the Capital One Bowl and Outback Bowl would not be allowed to select Michigan ahead of Minnesota due to the two-win rule.

However, those are the only two Big Ten bowls that must follow that rule. Obviously, an 8-4 Minnesota wouldn't be in the running for either of those games. But if the Gator Bowl is looking at the 8-4 Gophers or 6-6 Michigan, they would be able to take the Wolverines.

Tough crowd! I thought it was very gracious of him to spend so much time with me. I also did like that he knew our season like the back of his hand, I didn't expect that. I'm sure he prepped for the interview, but it's still good to know that people are at least watching...they were never before.

With 3 weeks left, anything could happen, there are just so many scenarios. We'll make it really easy on ourselves if we just win...and hope that we don't get leap frogged!

Thanks for the interview G.L. Win two and they're heading to Florida. Win one and they could/should head to Florida. They'd be a great story, a National story and there will be thousands of Gopher fans there. How many will come from more that 500 miles away would be a question but honestly, are there still people out there who think that Minnesotans don't/won't go to Florida in the Winter?:cool:

Jike's right about the Capital One and Outback Bowls. On the Gator Bowl, if Michigan goes 6-6 and Minnesota is 9-3, or even 8-4, the long shot could be taking the Wolverines, even with all the expatriate Michiganders living in Florida. Who wants to bet on 15,000 of them showing-up to see a team that had B1G Ten Championship aspirations just to boo Brady Hoke?

Oh and TAW was right, it can happen; :D playing in Raymond James Stadium and staying at the beach sounds a lot better than playing in the Citrus Bowl and staying in Orlando, in the middle of a million people down there for the Holidays.

Though we'll be down there either way? :drink:

Thanks for the interview G.L. Win two and they're heading to Florida. Win one and they could/should head to Florida. They'd be a great story, a National story and there will be thousands of Gopher fans there. How many will come from more that 500 miles away would be a question but honestly, are there still people out there who think that Minnesotans don't/won't go to Florida in the Winter?:cool:

Jike's right about the Capital One and Outback Bowls. On the Gator Bowl, if Michigan goes 6-6 and Minnesota is 9-3, or even 8-4, the long shot could be taking the Wolverines, even with all the expatriate Michiganders living in Florida. Who wants to bet on 15,000 of them showing-up to see a team that had B1G Ten Championship aspirations just to boo Brady Hoke?

Oh and TAW was right, it can happen; :D playing in Raymond James Stadium and staying at the beach sounds a lot better than playing in the Citrus Bowl and staying in Orlando, in the middle of a million people down there for the Holidays.

Though we'll be down there either way? :drink:

Life must be rough, Iceland. HAHA. :cool:

Yeah, but even if we finish 6-2 and Michigan is 5-3 (or 4-4), you'll hear this same guy say basically that "We usually don't have the opportunity to bring in a marquee team like Michigan to our bowl game. Minnesota is clearly on the rise, and we know they'll have an opportunity to play in our bowl game in the future". That's basically word for word what the azzclown CEO of the Alamo bowl said to us back in 1999. Just substitute "PSU" for "SCum".

Almost did a spittake when this guy preaches about creating an experience for "the kids". It's all about filling hotel rooms. TV ratings come in a close 2nd. Creating a good football matchup or doing what's right rank pretty far down on the list.

I guess I don't blame someone for wanting to fill hotel rooms. When it comes to this sort of thing, Gopher fans need to put up or shut up. And yes, I'm talking to myself when I say this.

Capital one I would travel too.

I would find a way to go to the Capital one bowl, even as broke as I am during the holiday season. I said it would likely only be the Rose bowl because that is historic chance in a lifetime to co-workers but I would find a way to go Cap one if Gophers were invited. Captial One bowl is always an excellent game against an SEC team, one of the bowl games I always make an effort to watch on TV.
This one I would find a way to scrape the money together to go, Outback bowl or Gator I would even probably try to dig the money together to go. Beat the Badgers, and maybe then MSU and things start to fall in to place. I have not been to a bowl game since 1999 Sun bowl. This year I would make an effort to go, maybe even Arizona if they go there to Buffalo Wild wings. This year I'm in a traveling mood so I would follow the Gophers, I'm hangin on to my last three vacation days because of the Gophers this year.
This is not easy task these last two games are against the best two opponents we will have faced this year. At lest one of the games is at TCF.
I keep hoping we win out so I can burn the last three days after Christmas week.

Life must be rough, Iceland. HAHA. :cool:

Not in the least Mr.Bigelow, not in the least! :cool:

First trip down to Florida was 6 of us in a Ford LTD packed into two rooms in Daytona Beach and being in Disney World when they set an attendance record. This trip will be by air, renting a car and my Wife and I staying in a nice place. Hopefully seeing a Golden Gopher victory in Tampa, Orlando or Jacksonville!

Only three things should be the same. The weather will be good, we'll have a great time and more than one meal will be a Double Steakburger Platter from Steak 'n Shake!

Not in the least Mr.Bigelow, not in the least! :cool:

First trip down to Florida was 6 of us in a Ford LTD packed into two rooms in Daytona Beach and being in Disney World when they set an attendance record. This trip will be by air, renting a car and my Wife and I staying in a nice place. Hopefully seeing a Golden Gopher victory in Tampa, Orlando or Jacksonville!

Only three things should be the same. The weather will be good, we'll have a great time and more than one meal will be a Double Steakburger Platter from Steak 'n Shake!

Nice! That is a lot of people to pack into a Ford LTD. :cool: It would be nice if it were the game in Orlando. One of my good friends from college lives there, so it would be an additional reason to go down and visit him, his wife and their recently arrived son! But, either way, I would be pleased with any bowl game in FL! Looking forward to making it to the bowl game this year! :)

What is absent here is Rose Bowl talk.

I know it is highly improbable. What if the Gophers beat both UW & MSU, and the right teams lose to propel the Gophers into the B1G Championship game as the No. 2 B1G team against OSU, and OSU is ranked No. 2 in the BCS?

'Just dreamin'... :drink:

I know it is highly improbable. What if the Gophers beat both UW & MSU, and the right teams lose to propel the Gophers into the B1G Championship game as the No. 2 B1G team against OSU, and OSU is ranked No. 2 in the BCS?

And if (big if) we do play and do lose to OSU, even if they are #2 and headed to the NC, we aren't getting the Rose Bowl. It would likely go to another BCS eligible team in the conference (if there is one). History has shown that losers of conference championship games do not get BCS bids unless ranked in say the top 7 going in (and even then it's not a sure fire thing).

Our own conference can look no further than two years ago. Wisconsin and MSU were both highly ranked and played in the CCG. Wisconsin won, went to the Rose Bowl and MSU to the Capital One bowl while Michigan snuck into the Sugar without having to leave their couch the final Saturday of the season.

Then we would likely need to win in order to make the Rose Bowl. As has been oft discussed, the loser of the Conference Championship Game is usually punished by not making the BCS. The more likely path is probably to win out and have MSU lose in the championship game. Obviously this is all extremely unlikely (less than 2% chance :)) but it is fun to think about.

Looking at the possibiity of being passed over (assuming, of course, we're in a position to be overlooked), Michigan hasn't played in the Capital One Bowl since 1/1/08 and before that not since 1/1/02. The Wolverines wll be hard to resist if it boils down to it. Looking at other possibilities with that bowl, no Orlando trips for Wisconsin since 1/1/07 or for Iowa since 1/1/05. Nebraska went the past two seasons.

For the Outback Bowl, Nebraska has never gone bowlng in Tampa. It's 1/1/08 for Wisconsin and 1/1/09 for Iowa. Michigan was just there last season.

The BW3 Bowl is technically ahead of the Gator Bowl in the pecking order, but let's face it, the Gator Bowl has the history and the January 1 game date if not the more attractive destination. Nebraska went there 1/1/09 as a Big 12 member. The game has only been tied to the Big Ten since 1/1/11. Michigan went. However, neither Wisconsin (never) or Iowa (1983) have played there in recent memory.

The BW3 Bowl hosted us three times in four years during the Mason era. Wisconsin last went in 1996. Iowa went in December of 2010 and 2011. Neither Michigan or Nebraska have played there. Since a recent Fiesta Bowl trip might make a school's fans less apt to hit Arizona for a minor bowl, it's worth noting that Michigan, Iowa, and Wisconsin have never gone there while Nebraska is about a dozen years removed from its most recent trip.

Have heard all of this before. Eff this guy.

Why should we "eff" this guy? Because he wants the best possible match-up for the bowl he is charged with running? Seems to me we should be excited that some big-time bowl games are looking at a program which has not had a lot of that recently. Sure, he spins his wheels and doesn't get overly specific, but why should he?

Looking at the possibiity of being passed over (assuming, of course, we're in a position to be overlooked), Michigan hasn't played in the Capital One Bowl since 1/1/08 and before that not since 1/1/02. The Wolverines wll be hard to resist if it boils down to it. Looking at other possibilities with that bowl, no Orlando trips for Wisconsin since 1/1/07 or for Iowa since 1/1/05. Nebraska went the past two seasons.

For the Outback Bowl, Nebraska has never gone bowlng in Tampa. It's 1/1/08 for Wisconsin and 1/1/09 for Iowa. Michigan was just there last season.

The BW3 Bowl is technically ahead of the Gator Bowl in the pecking order, but let's face it, the Gator Bowl has the history and the January 1 game date if not the more attractive destination. Nebraska went there 1/1/09 as a Big 12 member. The game has only been tied to the Big Ten since 1/1/11. Michigan went. However, neither Wisconsin (never) or Iowa (1983) have played there in recent memory.

The BW3 Bowl hosted us three times in four years during the Mason era. Wisconsin last went in 1996. Iowa went in December of 2010 and 2011. Neither Michigan or Nebraska have played there. Since a recent Fiesta Bowl trip might make a school's fans less apt to hit Arizona for a minor bowl, it's worth noting that Michigan, Iowa, and Wisconsin have never gone there while Nebraska is about a dozen years removed from its most recent trip.

Don't bother, nothing new to see here. Sports Realist finds scenarios where everything goes badly. What a surprise. :rolleyes:

actually if we do that and finish 10-2 then i will be complaining about getting left out of the sugar bowl instead of celebrating the capitol one bowl

actually if we do that and finish 10-2 then I will be complaining about getting left out of the sugar bowl instead of celebrating the capitol one bowl

Now there, THERE die hard gopher, that's the epitome of a true Minnesotan!

Don't bother, nothing new to see here. Sports Realist finds scenarios where everything goes badly. What a surprise. :rolleyes:

Yeah, yeah. I know. It's more a matter of trying to cushion against a fall that hopefully happen. On the other hand, I once told a good friend that I was more of a glass half empty than half full kind of guy. He said "Either way, the other half of the glass has air in it, so it's full anyway, now quit your bellyaching".

Yeah, yeah. I know. It's more a matter of trying to cushion against a fall that hopefully happen. On the other hand, I once told a good friend that I was more of a glass half empty than half full kind of guy. He said "Either way, the other half of the glass has air in it, so it's full anyway, now quit your bellyaching".

Sounds like a wise person! :cool:

Top Bottom