GopherLady: This soon-to-be 8-0 Gophers team deserves better. (picture)

Thanks to this photo, 9 to noon on KFAN opened with Gopher football and most of the discussion was regarding this photo.

This is a huge upcoming game. "Fans" should be looking for ways to get a ticket rather than excuses for not showing up.

P.S. I know I'm a jerk.

Way to take a great moment and make it negative. I thought the stadium was the most packed it's been all year and the lots were packed and there was great energy. The game was over in 20 minutes, so that changed the long term attendance.

I live in Austin but will be in Minnesota the Penn. St. weekend. I have nobody to go with and don't have an idea what time the game starts. Tickets look pretty expensive compared to watching the game at home with my family. I would love to go but I don't think it's worth going by myself and paying 200 not to sit in the upper deck. I'm so conflicted. Need to visit my ailing Grandma and spend time with her because she doesn't have much time left. Long drive from St. Cloud.

Not a fan of the way people are calling out fans for not going to games. I get it but being negative is only going to bring on more negativity. We have busy lives and I haven't missed a game on TV since Kill was a coach. People like me are still awesome and supportive fans even if we can't make games.

The reality is that the Gopher fan base is pretty damn weak. Saw the empty seats on the telecast and it was cringe-worthy.
Good news is they get a do-over in two weeks.

I live in Austin but will be in Minnesota the Penn. St. weekend. I have nobody to go with and don't have an idea what time the game starts. Tickets look pretty expensive compared to watching the game at home with my family. I would love to go but I don't think it's worth going by myself and paying 200 not to sit in the upper deck. I'm so conflicted. Need to visit my ailing Grandma and spend time with her because she doesn't have much time left. Long drive from St. Cloud.

Not a fan of the way people are calling out fans for not going to games. I get it but being negative is only going to bring on more negativity. We have busy lives and I haven't missed a game on TV since Kill was a coach. People like me are still awesome and supportive fans even if we can't make games.

Completely aside from your point regarding family and such, just to clarify, the only seats that are $200 on the lower level are between the 20s. Everything outside of that is quite a bit less than $200.

A couple years ago I gave up trying to complain about people not going to games. I will still criticize the prices but I won't criticize if someone doesn't want to be there or not. It's just not worth it. I've missed 4 home games since the 1996 season. I love going to the games and try my best to make it a fun experience. I'll admit, there have been a few times in recent years when I was giving serious debate as to whether it was worth it to continue but right now I'm glad I stuck it out.

A couple years ago I gave up trying to complain about people not going to games. I will still criticize the prices but I won't criticize if someone doesn't want to be there or not. It's just not worth it. I've missed 4 home games since the 1996 season. I love going to the games and try my best to make it a fun experience. I'll admit, there have been a few times in recent years when I was giving serious debate as to whether it was worth it to continue but right now I'm glad I stuck it out.

You are a true-blue fan, sir. My hat is off to you; I mean that.

How much revenue do empty seats generate?

There is two weeks until the game. People will buy tickets at the current prices (not saying it will sellout). Your comment assumes everyone is done buying.

I sold 2 tickets for $150/each on a secondary market, some people recognize how big this game is and are willing to pay to get there.

One of the most awesome things about this season: people like you finally are getting the reward they deserve and have waited so patiently for!!

The reality is that the Gopher fan base is pretty damn weak. Saw the empty seats on the telecast and it was cringe-worthy.
Good news is they get a do-over in two weeks.

Its everywhere. i saw a Miami game where the stadium looked almost empty and they have been a lot more competitive than the Gophers until the last few years.

There is two weeks until the game. People will buy tickets at the current prices (not saying it will sellout). Your comment assumes everyone is done buying.

I sold 2 tickets for $150/each on a secondary market, some people recognize how big this game is and are willing to pay to get there.

My comment doesn't "assume" anything at all. My question was in response to your question regarding potential lost revenue.

My comment doesn't "assume" anything at all. My question was in response to your question regarding potential lost revenue.

You got me. Lets sell all remaining tickets for $10 so everyone can afford to go and bring their entire family. It would also help sales if they can guarantee a unicorn shows up a craps a rainbow.

People forget that the students don’t have assigned seats. People forget that once the per game student ticket sale hits the prescribed number, they stop selling them (not to say it happened here).

People forget these are basically kids. People forget that about 90% of these kids minds revolve around sex. People forget that when these kids get together to have fun, they like to be close to each other. People forget that these kids like to go to football games to have fun, and be close together.

People forget that in the student section, the students are close together, and like to be in the lower deck.

I’ll bet right here that there are a minimum of 20% more students in that section than legally are supposed to fit there. Likely more. Take that 20-30% more and spread it in the upper deck. It would look a lot more full.

People, think.
They cram in 6000 to 7000 in lower deck that technically seats 4500. Wrist bands are given out. One thing I also noticed and heard, students that buy guest passes with parents and family go sit by them. Half the sections In upper deck Student section should be sold to high school teams across State they would fill in the seats.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

I caught just a little bit of PA's opening. From what I heard, it sounded like he was being critical of the fans who are complaining about attendance.

it was in the vein of "Gophers having one of their best seasons in decades, and all the talk on social media is about why more fans aren't attending games." as I heard it, PA was saying that fans should just enjoy the season, and if the Gophers keep winning, the attendance will follow. he was saying something about how LSU didn't become death valley overnight; then named some other schools with similar situations.

Bottom line - you can't force people to do something they don't want to do. you can't shame people into buying tickets they don't want to pay for, for an event they don't want to attend.

Hey- the U of MN told the TV networks they do not want to have night-time home games in November. I have to assume that is due to concerns that fans won't show up if the weather is not favorable.

We can talk this issue to death, but it all comes back to the same thing - the die-hard Gopher Football fan base is about 30,000 to 35,000 people. they will show up for (almost) every game. Beyond that, attendance comes from casual fans, band-wagon jumpers and fans of the other team.

I caught just a little bit of PA's opening. From what I heard, it sounded like he was being critical of the fans who are complaining about attendance.

it was in the vein of "Gophers having one of their best seasons in decades, and all the talk on social media is about why more fans aren't attending games." as I heard it, PA was saying that fans should just enjoy the season, and if the Gophers keep winning, the attendance will follow. he was saying something about how LSU didn't become death valley overnight; then named some other schools with similar situations.

Bottom line - you can't force people to do something they don't want to do. you can't shame people into buying tickets they don't want to pay for, for an event they don't want to attend.

Hey- the U of MN told the TV networks they do not want to have night-time home games in November. I have to assume that is due to concerns that fans won't show up if the weather is not favorable.

We can talk this issue to death, but it all comes back to the same thing - the die-hard Gopher Football fan base is about 30,000 to 35,000 people. they will show up for (almost) every game. Beyond that, attendance comes from casual fans, band-wagon jumpers and fans of the other team.

I don't think that was really true. There was a lot more talk about 8-0, Penn St, and Gameday. Seemed a few fans posted about the crowd and then fans of other teams (mostly Nebraska fans) jumped all over it.

Bottom line - you can't force people to do something they don't want to do. you can't shame people into buying tickets

Important to point out this stupid talk about deserving better, shameful more fans..., etc. is not being said by the University or the coach. Its coming mostly from the bleed maroon gopher fans that hope someday we can create a tradition of winning and game day experience rivaling the some of the helmet schools.

True, but water boarding has proven persuasive.

Just for comparison, there were a bunch of empty seats towards the end of the Ole Miss at #11 Auburn game tonight when it was just a 6 point lead. The student section looked less than half full. It appears attendance can be an issue at even a place like Auburn.

Its everywhere. i saw a Miami game where the stadium looked almost empty and they have been a lot more competitive than the Gophers until the last few years.

Not everywhere. There are 20 teams averaging over 70,000. Lots of teams have every seat sold. We have a really hard time selling 45,000 seats !

Just for comparison, there were a bunch of empty seats towards the end of the Ole Miss at #11 Auburn game tonight when it was just a 6 point lead. The student section looked less than half full. It appears attendance can be an issue at even a place like Auburn.

Auburn blows us away on attendance . Simple research.

Auburn blows us away on attendance . Simple research.

Auburn also has a much stronger history. My point still stands. The original post was complaining about students leaving early in a blowout. Auburn’s student section was half full in a 6 point game.

Yes, attendance is a “problem” everywhere. It just depend on if that “problem” is selling 25% of a 45K stadium or filling the last 1K seats at a 70K stadium. I remember some people trying to sell that it was a problem at Clemson on here not too long ago. But, we aren’t a
Sensitive fan base. Nah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Auburn also has a much stronger history. My point still stands. The original post was complaining about students leaving early in a blowout. Auburn’s student section was half full in a 6 point game.

My point is not about people leaving early, my point is people not coming at all. I was at a Penn State a year ago and there were 110,000 there with a empty seat i could see. The attendance records for all teams is in the NCAA database .

My point is not about people leaving early, my point is people not coming at all. I was at a Penn State a year ago and there were 110,000 there with a empty seat i could see. The attendance records for all teams is in the NCAA database .

There is not anything unique about the struggles the Gophers have drawing fans. Lots of "good" programs like Oregon, Stanford, Miami, Ga Tech, UCLA, Boston College, Colorado, Northwestern, Pitt, and others do not draw more than 50,000 fans most of the time, if ever in same cases.

This is a pro sports town with a lot of competition. Unless the Gophers win the division and win big bowl games most years , they will fall down in the pecking order. (Vikings first by a mile,) The corporate market for tickets is probably even more cut throat.

I am not sure why some hold the Gophers to an unrealistic standard that other urban, middle of the road programs are not held to.

I also guarantee that Iowa State and some of these other programs are not trying to charge local fans $100 plus per ticket for marginal seats as the U of M has done for this game. ( yes I know there is a 4 pack Cub Food deal for less out there - still horrible messaging for any casual Minnesota fan who calls the ticket office or gets on the site after being inspired to try to go to the game)

Last edited:

There is not anything unique about the struggles the Gophers have drawing fans. Lots of "good" programs like Oregon, Stanford, Miami, Ga Tech, UCLA, Boston College, Pitt, and others do not draw more than 50,000 fans most of the time, if ever in same cases.

This is a pro sports town with a lot of competition. Unless the Gophers win the division and win big bowl games most years , they will fall down in the pecking order. (Vikings first by a mile,) The corporate market for tickets is probably even more cut throat.

I am not sure why some hold the Gophers to an unrealistic standard that other urban, middle of the road programs are not held to.

Agree. Always said this was not a great college sports market. When Miami was winning they sold 75,000 seats. I am from the west coast and have seen the situation at Stanford. It is a small school with bigger stars on campus than athletes. Plus they are great competing in a ton of things instead of watching others. UCLA has had giant crowds when they were winning. We will not have them no matter how much we win. We built a small stadium. I been in all the facilities in this town and we will yield 40% of capacity to the opponents fans and you rarely see that anywhere.

Not quite on point - but amusing:

I work at a radio station. We are on the Gopher radio network for Football and Men's Basketball.

I was at work today (Saturday). at about 11:30am, the phone rang.

A female voice - sounding irritated - said "why isn't the Gopher game on the radio?"

my response - "What Gopher game?"

her response - "the Football Game!"

my response - "They don't play this week. they have a Bye. The Penn State Game is next week."

her response - long silence, then "OK," followed by sound of phone hanging up.

Top Bottom