GopherHole's Weekly Sports Huddle Summary: Coach Jerry Kill - 7/21/13

DL65

Reaction score
Coach Kill's comments and responses to Sid and Dave's questions on today's Sports Huddle:

1) Sid opened the Kill segment by asking about the summer camps that Kill and his staff have conducted at the U this summer. According to Sid, more than 120 campers have participated: "We felt it went well (June camps and this weekend) . . . (Kill and staff had a long day yesterday) got out at 11:30 p.m. . . . have another camp today," said Kill.

Kill sounded pleased with this year's campers, "A lot of good kids." He went onto say they have a lot of film to watch of the prospects that attended the camps. There was greater participation this year . . . Kill said he believed the camps doubled in size.

Once again, Kill stressed the importance of camps for evaluation, especially for prospects that don't have spring drills as they do in the southern states.

2) Sid asked if there were kids at this year's camps that'll be offered scholarships: Kill responded, "Several kids are prospects to play (at the U)." Kill acknowledged that they've offered some of the campers and that he's looking forward to today's camp. He also said immediate needs of the team, which can change during the season, influences the recruiting process (who and what they're looking for and the tenders offered).

Kill said 8 or 9 of last year's signees received their offers during the camps or what they observed in spring drills. He said you look for players that "fit your program and can play (at BCS level).

Kill said they recruited well in 2012; however, he sounded very positive about the 2013 group that will participate in fall drills for the first time. According to the strength and conditioning coaches, the 2013 class is more athletic . . . they need to spend time in the weight room to get stronger.

3) Mona asked about the speed of social media (twitter) in reporting commitments by recruits: Kill replied, "It happens in a hurry . . . it's amazing." He went onto talk about the technological changes that have impacted and increased the interest in recruiting. However, he didn't dwell on the topic.

4) Sid mentioned Kill's recent appearance in Alabama in which he addressed high school football coaches at the U of Alabama: Kill made a correction as to the location of the clinic, which was in Montgomery, Alabama. He said, "It was a privilege" to speak before the state's Coaches Association. One of the groups officers attended Kill's alma mater.

Sid then followed up by saying that several Gopher players and Minnesota recruits are from Alabama: Kill said that it's true they spend a lot of time recruiting high school athletes in Alabama. Assistant coach Jay Sawvel recruits the state.

Kill, once again, stressed the importance of building relationships when it comes to recruiting. He mentioned the many years that his staff has been together, which is a bonus because of the relationships that they've garnered and developed, "Treat people right and good things come back to you."

5) Sid made another comment - about the camps and recruiting - in which Kill was not able to respond because of NCAA rules and regulations. Sid said when he was visiting one of the recent camps, he visited with former Viking wider receiver, Jake Reed. Reed lives in Texas and his son was attending the Minnesota camp. I believe Sid said Reed's son is a receiver that the U is looking at.

6) Mona then mentioned three freshmen players - Donavahn Jones, Chris Streveler, and Drew Wolitarsky: Kill's comments about the three recruits are as follows:

a) Donavahn Jones: "Donavahn will start camp at quarterback (Donavahn wants a chance to play the qb position), but he'll be catching balls at wide receiver." Kill sounded very positive about Jones' athletic ability (wants to get the best athletes on the field). Kill said Jones has a vertical jump of over 40 inches.

b) Chris Streveler: Streveler is a quarterback; however, Kill has talked frequently about his athleticism, running, and ability to catch passes, "Streveler has been catching balls this summer."

c) Drew Wolitarsky: "Quarterbacks - Nelson and Leidner - would tell you really good thing about Drew." (Kill was relating the quarterbacks comments about Drew's catching abilities as displayed this summer.) Kill also said, ". . . has done well in the weight room . . . he understands the game." Kill credited the coaching that Drew received in high school, for getting him to understand the nuances of the game.

7) Sid asked about the team losing some practice time when fall drills begin: Kill said he expects to lose 2 or 3 allotted practices because summer school being in session when fall drills start. "We must utilize and manage our time . . . that's life."

Go Gophers!!

As always, thanks. I think I gave myself a repetitive motion injury clicking refresh for the update. ;-) With all the talk about commits, I was really eager to read this summary.

Thanks again!

Thanks DL...I can't wait for this season!

@TCFBankStadium: New home team tunnel canopy, game day is right around the corner (Aug 29 vs. UNLV).

Attachments

• image-2986683586.jpg
    image-2986683586.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 68

Don't always pop on to say thanks, but every time I read it I always say to myself, "Thanks, you've done a nice service to many of us who don't get to hear it live."

Don't always pop on to say thanks, but every time I read it I always say to myself, "Thanks, you've done a nice service to many of us who don't get to hear it live."

People love DL65 because he is awesome at servicing many of us.

Thanks, DL, for your priceless addition to GopherHole.

DL65 or Anybody - Is there any way we can e-mail Dave Mona to ask him to ask Jerry next week if any of the earlier practices are going to be open to the public? They were last year and I love to have the chance to see some of the new freshmen before the start of the season.

P.S. - How does one e-mail Jerry to request this?

DL65 or Anybody - Is there any way we can e-mail Dave Mona to ask him to ask Jerry next week if any of the earlier practices are going to be open to the public? They were last year and I love to have the chance to see some of the new freshmen before the start of the season.

According to public email site:

[email protected]
[email protected]

Either will get read by his personal assistant.

Killjoy, I know you raised your question in a thread early last week, and I'm sure others are wondering the same thing. I can tell you, Dave Mona frequently visits GopherHole, and, as we know, has credited this site with questions raised by GopherHolers that he has asked Jerry Kill during the weekly segment. I'm confident he'll ask your question and I wouldn't be surprised if it's next week.

Dave only asked a couple questions today and they were queries that he received via test messaging.

I'll start another thread requesting questions for Dave and Sid. Hopefully there'll be submittals that will catch his eye and be of interest to the listening audience.

I don't have coach Kill's email address, however, I'm sure someone will get it to you.

Go Gophers!!

Thanks highway and DL65 -

I really appreciate your quick response to my question. I will send an email to coach Kill thanking him for allowing fans to attend some of the early practices last fan and requesting any information on their plans for this fall be posted on the Gophersports site and/or discussed on the Sports Huddle next Sunday. I will add my question to DL65's questions for Dave Mona string when it is posted.

I was impressed to hear that Strevler is getting bigger. Supposedly he grew an inch and is up to 220 and has not lost a step. Sounds like he will be playing some receiver this year as well. Coach is bound and determined to get the best athletes on the field no matter what.

I wonder if he did that with Jordan Lynch at Northern Illinois besides QB.

Top Bottom