GopherHole's Sports Huddle Summary: Coach Jeryy - 2/10/13

DL65

Reaction score
Coach Kill's comments and responses to Sid Hartman's and Mike Max's questions on today's Sports Huddle:

1) Max opened the questioning by asking about this coming week's Big 10 Coaches meeting and whether or not the Conference will expand to 9 or 10 conference games in the current 12 game schedule: Kill anticpates that it will be a topic of discussion as well as NCAA rules that will be coming down August 1st.

Max asked if he thought they'd be going to a 13 game schedule and Kill responded saying, "I don't know." However, he did express some concerns with an expanded schedule. His primary concerns were safety-related and academics. He had a cautionary tone. He didn't sound too positive about adding a 13th game to the regular season schedule.

2) Sid asked if he was still signing guys (2013 recruiting class): Kill, once again responded, "We'll always be recruiting." He then said they're focusing on next year's class; however, he said that he had a recruit in Friday and Saturday, but he didn't indicate whether he was a junior or potential member of the 2013 recruiting class. I sensed it might have been the latter.

3) Sid asked about the players' routine now that school is back in session: "They're lifting Monday, Wednesday and Friday and running at 6 a.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday." He also mentioned academic schedules and community service activities as an important part of their routine.

He sounded pleased with the players work effort. The squad has been broken down to small groups so that they can receive individual attention in the weight room.

4) Max asked about the Gopher's 6-9 TE recruit, Wozniak: "I'm hoping he'll be like Matt Spaeth . . . definitely a tight end . . . he'll get bigger and stronger."

5) Sid asked about Donavahn Jones: Kill said Jones was heavily recruited by teams across the country and especially in the SEC. Some of the SEC teams, i.e., Arkansas looked at him as a defensive back; however, Jones is wanting a shot at quarterback. He's currently 6-3 and 195 pounds and is athletic and fast. Kill said that there are 6 or 7 other recruits in this year's class that are very similar in their athleticism, which he likes, and he said it is unusal to have that many similar athletes in a class. Kill credited assistant coach Anderson for recruiting Jones . . . he said Jones' mother and Anderson are from the same town, Rockford, Illinois. He talked about the importance of building relationships when recruiting.

6) Sid asked about some walkons receiving scholarships: Kill acknowledged that he had given some scholarships recently to some walkons and will probably be granting another scholarship to a current walkon player. However, Kill did not give out any names: "I don't want to give the names up at this point and time."

7) Sid then asked about the four recruits that are already enrolled and in school: Kill sounded excited when he discussed the four players.

Hendrick Ekpe: He's put on 11 pounds since arriving at Minnesota. He's presently 241 pounds and he expects him to play DE at 260-265 lbs.

Damien Wilson: He's 6-2 and weighs 253 pounds. He'll play the Mike (inside) Linebacker position.

Chris Streveler: He's excited about the strength that he's shown and his foot speed, "He's a 4.5 guy."

Jordan Hinojosa: Kill said he's a hardworking kid that is raw and needs to gain strength in the weight room. Despite being raw, he sounded very positive about Hinojosa's potential and the effort that he's putting forth.

He sounded pleased with the team's workouts in the weight room as well as their individual drills and that they've bought into the Jerry Kill system and the necessity of hard work.

Go Gophers!!

Another thanks from me, DL. Good job as always.

I really think Wilson is going to be very good. I know people gush about Campbell's athleticism but Wilson is really going to turn some heads I think. He can really move for being 253.

Don't expect to see many Fr. this yr. Most will be redshirted. This yr. if 2 players are close the FR. will be redshirted.

Don't expect to see many Fr. this yr. Most will be redshirted. This yr. if 2 players are close the FR. will be redshirted.

I wouldn't be shocked, Kill seems to want to play the best players. I don't think a tie goes to being RS, I think it goes to them playing. If we RS too many kids, we'll have a tiny class in a few years and Kill needs to continue winning to keep his job (all coaches need to).

I agree. Besides playing the best player Kill also seems very determined to balance his classes in terms of numbers and positions so he does not end up some years with very small recruiting classes or becoming too thin at a position. It would be great to think we are in a position to redshirt heavily so that we can develop players but I do not feel we are there yet in terms of talent or balanced classes.

I agree. Besides playing the best player Kill also seems very determined to balance his classes in terms of numbers and positions so he does not end up some years with very small recruiting classes or becoming too thin at a position. It would be great to think we are in a position to redshirt heavily so that we can develop players but I do not feel we are there yet in terms of talent or balanced classes.

This is why I think Kill will become much more selective with this class for who ends up red-shirting. Last year we signed 28-29 guys, and there is no way we would ever want a senior class that big, so it was almost inevitable that we were going to play lots of freshman. I wouldn't be surprised if the only freshman who play this year are Edwards and Laster.

I wouldn't be shocked, Kill seems to want to play the best players. I don't think a tie goes to being RS, I think it goes to them playing. If we RS too many kids, we'll have a tiny class in a few years and Kill needs to continue winning to keep his job (all coaches need to).

+1 If you have two players who are equal, always go with the younger player. Coaching 101.

This is why I think Kill will become much more selective with this class for who ends up red-shirting. Last year we signed 28-29 guys, and there is no way we would ever want a senior class that big, so it was almost inevitable that we were going to play lots of freshman. I wouldn't be surprised if the only freshman who play this year are Edwards and Laster.

I've been trying to get a better idea of what would be an ideal size for a senior class.

They are going to be smaller because players who don't play much or get injured will leave the team every year.

We have 10 FR who were RS last season (Williams, Pirsig, Hayes, Harbison, Leidner, Anyanwu, Leuer, Lynn, Timms, Rallis), I don't really have a solid opinion, but ideally I am curious what the coaching staff would like that senior class to look like in 4 years.

I'd guess that we'd want roughly 15 SRs, ideally (or is that too many?) on every class. To get to that, we'd want 6-8 ish players to not RS this year (assuming we lose 3 of those guys to natural attrition).

I've been trying to get a better idea of what would be an ideal size for a senior class.

They are going to be smaller because players who don't play much or get injured will leave the team every year.

We have 10 FR who were RS last season (Williams, Pirsig, Hayes, Harbison, Leidner, Anyanwu, Leuer, Lynn, Timms, Rallis), I don't really have a solid opinion, but ideally I am curious what the coaching staff would like that senior class to look like in 4 years.

I'd guess that we'd want roughly 15 SRs, ideally (or is that too many?) on every class. To get to that, we'd want 6-8 ish players to not RS this year (assuming we lose 3 of those guys to natural attrition).

My "way too early" guess on who will not redshirt this year: QB Jones, RB Edwards, one of the two WR (Carter or Wolitarsky), DE Ekpe, LB Laster, CB Myrick, and K Santoso. That's seven and would leave us fairly balanced at most positions.

My "way too early" guess on who will not redshirt this year: QB Jones, RB Edwards, one of the two WR (Carter or Wolitarsky), DE Ekpe, LB Laster, CB Myrick, and K Santoso. That's seven and would leave us fairly balanced at most positions.

I'd say they keep redshirts on all QB's they tried that this year until the top two went down. Agree with you on Edwards as well as on of the WR's. And agree with everyone you listed on the defensive side of the football.

BTW... Were under 200 days until the Season opener!!! Still wondering how thats going to work when the state fair is going on...

My simplistic way of viewing it is that if there are 85 scholarships per team, you would ideally want 17 players (85/5) per class: Sr, Jr, Soph, RFresh, True Freshman. But you're right, attrition always happens so we will always be off by a few.

Here's my guess on the targets for balancing the classes. With 85 scholarships spread over 5 years, the ideal would seem to be around 17 in each class. Then redshirt about the same number each year and you are balanced.

I'd say they keep redshirts on all QB's they tried that this year until the top two went down. Agree with you on Edwards as well as on of the WR's. And agree with everyone you listed on the defensive side of the football.

BTW... Were under 200 days until the Season opener!!! Still wondering how thats going to work when the state fair is going on...

Yeah, I'm thinking if Jones is the freakish athlete some say he is, they will find a way to get him on the field. Maybe a wildcat guy once in awhile. But who knows, I'm totally guessing.

Yeah, I think it's anywhere between 15 and 17, meaning that we'd probably want to play 5-7 FR this season to keep the classes balanced.

Yeah, I'm thinking if Jones is the freakish athlete some say he is, they will find a way to get him on the field. Maybe a wildcat guy once in awhile. But who knows, I'm totally guessing.

Ya suppose how he looks at QB this spring time will tell. Speculation is fuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnn.

Top Bottom