GopherHole's Sports Huddle Summary: Coach Jerry Kill - 3/17/13

DL65

Reaction score
Mike Max joined Sid Hartman on today's Sports Huddle with the questioning of several guests. Coach Kill's responses and comments to their queries are as follows:

1) Sid opened the questioning asking what the coaches do after Signing Day and the fall and winter recruiting season: Kill responded saying they focus on preparations for spring drills by evaluating film as they try to ascertain what they did well last season and what were their shortcomings. They also restart the recruiting cycle by evaluating players (high school juniors) that they looked at last year as well as players that have surfaced on their recruiting list.

Kill also said the coaches spend a lot of time with the players making sure that "things are on track" (academic studies and winter conditioning drills). He closed the question by discussing the team competition that occurred Friday morning (6 a.m.). They (players) were excited, loud and boisterous. One team of Gopher players won the Rose Bowl trophy (didn't get the name of the team leader) and Aaron Hill's team won the Capital One Trophy.

2) Subject then turned to the team's success in their academic studies (Sid said the team has 3.0 GPA): Kill replied, "A lot of the credit goes to the players (holding themselves accountable) and Academic Services." He was pleased that the players took advantage of the resources provided by Academic Services, i.e., tutoring.

3) Sid said the coaches must be happy that they have Jamel Harbison back from his injury: Kill responded by saying the wide receiving corps had worked very hard during the off-season. He sounded pleased about the strides that the receivers have taken and gained since last season. Kill then said, "We feel good having Jamel back - will help us . . . he's not 100% and we'll be careful."

Kill then mentioned Roland Johnson and Marcus Jones having had knee surgery, but they're not as far along as Jamel Harbison is.

He closed the question by saying he was pleased with the wide receivers and the work that they've put in since the end of the season.

4) Sid asked about opening the season on Thursday night: Kill responded saying it's important to play as many games at home as possible (he'd like to have 8 home games). He said he told Maturi, when he was hired, that having home games was paramount to turning a program around. Kill said the dropping of North Carolina from the Gopher schedule was because they want to have additional games at home (instead of the home and away schedule with the Tar Heels). Additional home games means additional revenue. As to playing on Thursday, he didn't have a problem playing Thursday as long as it's at home; however, he said they need to be careful that they don't infringe or adversely affect the high school games.

His final comment, related to Sid's question, was "It's important we play at home."

5) Sid asked about facing new coaches in the upcoming season: Kill said, "All coaches have habits . . . we evaluate film of their previous stops . . . first games are always difficult." Apparently UNLV has two new coordinators and Kill said they'll be studying film and will see what they've done in the past.

6) The last topic covered was concerned with upcoming training camps for high school students and younger: April 13 the coaching staff and players will conduct a free camp for youth of all ages and June 9th is the start of Kill's summer camps. The June 9 camp is for high school juniors.

Kill said the state's high school coaches will conduct their annual clinic on April 4. Their keynote speaker this year is Butch Jones of Tennessee.

Today's Sports Huddle with Coach Jerry Kill was lighter than usual with information.

Go Gophers!!

Mike Max joined Sid Hartman on today's Sports Huddle with the questioning of several guests. Coach Kill's responses and comments to their queries are as follows:

1) Sid opened the questioning asking what the coaches do after Signing Day and the fall and winter recruiting season: Kill responded saying they focus on preparations for spring drills by evaluating film as they try to ascertain what they did well last season and what were their shortcomings. They also restart the recruiting cycle by evaluating players (high school juniors) that they looked at last year as well as players that have surfaced on their recruiting list.

Kill also said the coaches spend a lot of time with the players making sure that "things are on track" (academic studies and winter conditioning drills). He closed the question by discussing the team competition that occurred Friday morning (6 a.m.). They (players) were excited, loud and boisterous. One team of Gopher players won the Rose Bowl trophy (didn't get the name of the team leader) and Aaron Hill's team won the Capital One Trophy.

2) Subject then turned to the team's success in their academic studies (Sid said the team has 3.0 GPA): Kill replied, "A lot of the credit goes to the players (holding themselves accountable) and Academic Services." He was pleased that the players took advantage of the resources provided by Academic Services, i.e., tutoring.

3) Sid said the coaches must be happy that they have Jamel Harbison back from his injury: Kill responded by saying the wide receiving corps had worked very hard during the off-season. He sounded pleased about the strides that the receivers have taken and gained since last season. Kill then said, "We feel good having Jamel back - will help us . . . he's not 100% and we'll be careful."

Kill then mentioned Roland Johnson and Marcus Jones having had knee surgery, but they're not as far along as Jamel Harbison is.

He closed the question by saying he was pleased with the wide receivers and the work that they've put in since the end of the season.

4) Sid asked about opening the season on Thursday night: Kill responded saying it's important to play as many games at home as possible (he'd like to have 8 home games). He said he told Maturi, when he was hired, that having home games was paramount to turning a program around. Kill said the dropping of North Carolina from the Gopher schedule was because they want to have additional games at home (instead of the home and away schedule with the Tar Heels). Additional home games means additional revenue. As to playing on Thursday, he didn't have a problem playing Thursday as long as it's at home; however, he said they need to be careful that they don't infringe or adversely affect the high school games.

His final comment, related to Sid's question, was "It's important we play at home."

5) Sid asked about facing new coaches in the upcoming season: Kill said, "All coaches have habits . . . we evaluate film of their previous stops . . . first games are always difficult." Apparently UNLV has two new coordinators and Kill said they'll be studying film and will see what they've done in the past.

6) The last topic covered was concerned with upcoming training camps for high school students and younger: April 13 the coaching staff and players will conduct a free camp for youth of all ages and June 9th is the start of Kill's summer camps. The June 9 camp is for high school juniors.

Kill said the state's high school coaches will conduct their annual clinic on April 4. Their keynote speaker this year is Butch Jones of Tennessee.

Today's Sports Huddle with Coach Jerry Kill was lighter than usual with information.

Go Gophers!!

Nice job DL65 and thanks. Wish Kill wouldn't have mentioned the North Carolina series. They DIDN'T get another Home game, they just exchanged a better opponent for a lesser one. The average listener probably thinks the Gophers DID get that extra Home Game, wonder if Jerry was playing to that? The "hosts" didn't call him on it did they? Maybe you "miss heard" DL, but I doubt that. Hope Kill just misspoke, but got a feeling he knew actually what he was doing.

Nice job DL65 and thanks. Wish Kill wouldn't have mentioned the North Carolina series. They DIDN'T get another Home game, they just exchanged a better opponent for a lesser one. The average listener probably thinks the Gophers DID get that extra Home Game, wonder if Jerry was playing to that? The "hosts" didn't call him on it did they? Maybe you "miss heard" DL, but I doubt that. Hope Kill just misspoke, but got a feeling he knew actually what he was doing.

Neither Sid nor Mike responded to Kill's statement (when Kill was on the show) about dropping North Carolina from the Gopher schedule. However, later in the show, in response to a caller, Sid and Mike Max said the dropping of North Carolina was a big, big mistake by Teague and Kill.

Go Gophers!!

I hope this is the last time they open at home on a Thursday. Pretty much every metro area HS opens that night. He acknowledged it, hopefully meaning it won't happen again.

I hope this is the last time they open at home on a Thursday. Pretty much every metro area HS opens that night. He acknowledged it, hopefully meaning it won't happen again.

They're also scheduled to open on Thursday night at home in 2014 against Eastern Illinois.

No Barker question? Interesting that no one has picked up on it.

No Barker question? Interesting that no one has picked up on it.

And rightfully so, no Barker question. If we really got a true answer, just think of how short GH threads about him would be.

Perhaps they know Kill won't comment...but...even a statement that he wouldn't comment about personal interactions with other individuals would be a "statement of record..." Perhaps it happened. Perhaps it didn't happen. Perhaps AJ might want to shed some light. Or, maybe we will all have wait for the games to be played to see what happens. I wish all concerned...or unconcerned parties the very best of luck...Go Gophers!

; 0 )

As a season ticket holder I hope they open on a Thursday every year. I don't attend HS football games.

Perhaps they know Kill won't comment...but...even a statement that he wouldn't comment about personal interactions with other individuals would be a "statement of record..." Perhaps it happened. Perhaps it didn't happen. Perhaps AJ might want to shed some light. Or, maybe we will all have wait for the games to be played to see what happens. I wish all concerned...or unconcerned parties the very best of luck...Go Gophers!

; 0 )

Agreed. I'm not convinced the meeting happened. There's no source that's quoted and not a single newspaper, radio show, etc. running a story. As far as anyone knows it wasa tweet to get traffic to a website to sell advertising

Per DL65:

"...He (Coach Kill) closed the question by saying he was pleased with the wide receivers and the work that they've put in since the end of the season..."

That quote MAY tell us all we need to know about the alleged meeting of the minds between aj & Coach Kill. Our coach says he is pleased with the wide receivers and the work that they've put in. That says a LOT to me.

And, remember, before aj's "break out first half of the Big Ten season in 2012, he had caught what...one or two passes in his previous seasons with the Gophers? The 2013 season brings ALL KINDS of Opportunity for the 2013 season's wide receivers. We MAY have a star...or two ready to emerge in our receiving corps! The answers don't always lie in the past. Sometimes given a chance some kids IMPROVE and EMERGE in a new season!

That is one of the wonderful things about the future. Just watch our Golden Gopher Receivers rise to the occasion of the 2013 Big Ten Football Season! Who knows what surprises will arise in two oh one three!!!

I'm getting ready for some football...

; 0 )

As a season ticket holder I hope they open on a Thursday every year. I don't attend HS football games.
Well, as long as you're happy, that's the main thing.

Lots of high school kids go to Gopher games. With an aging fan base that is dwindling year by year, the Gophers need to get high school kids interested in the program. They can't go if they have prior commitments. It also helps in recruiting. Do you want Jeff Jones watching from the field on a Saturday, or would you prefer it if he couldn't attend the game?

In any case, thanks for your fine work, as always, DL65!

Lots of high school kids go to Gopher games. With an aging fan base that is dwindling year by year, the Gophers need to get high school kids interested in the program. They can't go if they have prior commitments. It also helps in recruiting. Do you want Jeff Jones watching from the field on a Saturday, or would you prefer it if he couldn't attend the game?

It is the one Friday they should consider playing.

Per DL65:

"...He (Coach Kill) closed the question by saying he was pleased with the wide receivers and the work that they've put in since the end of the season..."

That quote MAY tell us all we need to know about the alleged meeting of the minds between aj & Coach Kill. Our coach says he is pleased with the wide receivers and the work that they've put in. That says a LOT to me.

And, remember, before aj's "break out first half of the Big Ten season in 2012, he had caught what...one or two passes in his previous seasons with the Gophers? The 2013 season brings ALL KINDS of Opportunity for the 2013 season's wide receivers. We MAY have a star...or two ready to emerge in our receiving corps! The answers don't always lie in the past. Sometimes given a chance some kids IMPROVE and EMERGE in a new season!

That is one of the wonderful things about the future. Just watch our Golden Gopher Receivers rise to the occasion of the 2013 Big Ten Football Season! Who knows what surprises will arise in two oh one three!!!

; 0 )

wren is back! We truly are in the dead period.

They're also scheduled to open on Thursday night at home in 2014 against Eastern Illinois.

It is the one Friday they should consider playing.

The Gophers will be opening at home on a Thursday into (at least the near) perpetuity. That's the arrangement that was made with the State Fair. Get used to it.

wren is back! We truly are in the dead period.

Prepare yourselves for non-sensical ramblings with random words capitalized. If you read Gopherhole backwards, it has a secret message that wren's computer got repossessed. Is he now posting from a local public library?

Prepare yourselves for non-sensical ramblings with random words capitalized. If you read Gopherhole backwards, it has a secret message that wren's computer got repossessed. Is he now posting from a local public library?

So does this mean he's out of rehab?

Per DL65:

; 0 )

Welcome back Wren!

Wren, it is good to have you back. Way Back!!! :)

Thank you Dr. Don (way back?) and Bob. To the other comments I will only "consider their source" realize that my presence after having been banned for the past year must just be overwhelming them emotionally. Much like the PRODIGAL SON, my return may be ok to some people and "not so ok" to others. I understand that.

I'll pretty much just ignore mean-spirited types of posters. Unless, of course there might be a positive contrast of point of view to offer.

The past year was a good one. I hung out over on the Strib site a bit. The security on that site has greatly improved over the course of time. I am eyeinthesky over there.

The situation in the Gopher Football Program is slowly rising. Coach Kill has a huge task, but, it is my hope that he can continue to lead his team toward becoming more competitive within the conference and that the players and coaches and we fans can have a bowl game to attend most seasons. IF that can happen MORE...much more may some day be possible. And that is all I ask from this program! Sometimes very good things happen "along the way" to getting better and becoming more competitive and by just "being there" as the team improves.

So, I would like to say: "brewball is over..." This is a new era of Golden Gopher Football. We have a long way to go. I apologize to any fans I may have offended during the years prior to Coach Kill arriving. However, I do believe that I had a lot of valid concerns about some specific individuals within the athletic department. I was also very stubborn about a number of things.

This is a good site. I have missed it.

If I choose not to respond to every little slur, challenge, offensive remark it will be only because the "garbage" someone may try to trash me with would be no worse than the "garbage" I would be guilty of trying to trash that person with. I really will try to take the high road here.

I DO promise to NEVER let the ba$hers get me down. And I WILL enjoy every last Golden Gopher Football Season I may have the good fortune to witness in person...in TCF BANK STADIUM and on the road. I had a great season with my Golden Gophers last year. I made every home game...got to Lincoln Nebraska and got to the bowl game in Houston, TX.

I have a hunch that the 2013 season will have some surprises and will hopefully be a good productive season. I am hoping for a bowl game reward for our players, coaches and we fans.

This is my 60th season of listening to, watching..in person...and...on tv...and on the road. My first road game was at Kinnick Stadium in Iowa City in 1967. My first Big Ten Game...and Gopher game was in MEMORIAL STADIUM...the BRICKHOUSE in 1959 against Indiana. It was the Gopher's only conference win and I saw Sandy Stephens play that day. My longest period of being away from Gopher Football was from 1968...1969...1970...1971: my years in the Service.

So, now I'll just kind of kick-back, settle in and enjoy having the ability to post here once in a while. The strib was a nice home away from home...and...there are a lot of reasons to post over there too, once in a while. They are doing a pretty nice job with Gopher Football now. That's a good thing. GOPHER HOLE does a great job with Gopher Football too!

I kept reading the HOLE...made a few contributions...and sometimes really did wish I could come on here to join in a thread or two...Being able to do that now seems good. It kind of feels as though I'm coming home. But, I added appreciation for my strib site too. So, I'll be talking with some of you from time to time. To the friendly, good folks: it's good to see you. To those who want to be any other way than friendly, good folks...I really have too much to do to either be offended or to feel "put out" by any little thing you may think of trying to do. You certainly have every right to do what ever you want...but...I certainly won't be a part of it.

Go Gophers!

It's pretty nice to be back...

wren

; 0 )

Go Gophers!

It's pretty nice to be back...

wren

; 0 )

Welcome back. While you we're gone everyone was persuaded that OUT OF CONFERENCE wins are as important as BIG TEN WINS. You have some work to do.

Top Bottom