Gopherhole's Sports Huddle Recap: Head Coach P.J. Fleck - 1/8/17

DL65

Reaction score
Newly selected football coach, P. J. Fleck, made his first Sports Huddle appearance on this morning's show. It was a rapid fire segment – questions and responses. P. J. Fleck had the same energy and enthusiasm that he displayed at his introduction presser on Friday.

1) Dave Mona asked Fleck for his first impressions of Minnesota during his first two days at the U:

“I haven’t had more fun in coaching,” Fleck said with enthusiasm.

2) Dave asked if there will be a spring game:

Yes. We’ll have a spring game . . . want to fill TCF Bank Stadium (spring game),” Fleck said.

3) What will you do at the coin toss – receive or defer:

“We will defer,” Fleck replied emphatically. He went on to say that they want to get the ball after making half-time adjustments.

4) Dave asked if there will be open practices:

Again, Fleck was quick in his succinct answer, “Yes . . . open practices.” He didn’t elaborate on the number and when the open practices will occur – obviously, too soon in his tenure.

5) Fleck was asked about an experience he had in recruiting Minnesota when he was at Northern Illinois:

The first high school coach that he contacted was Dave Nelson at Minnetonka. They had been visiting for about a half-hour to forty-five minutes, when Dave Nelson said he had to go home to take care of his dog. He invited Fleck to come with him to continue their visit at his house. Nelson was, “Gracious to a first-time position coach.”

6) Dave Mona asked a recruiting question. He wanted to know if he had had a chance to evaluate Minnesota’s current commits made by Tracy Claeys and his staff:"

“We tried to evaluate all the commits right away. We evaluated the commits of the state,” Fleck responded. He said the Minnesota high school commits "are on board." He is now evaluating the out-of-state commits.

7) Dave Mona asked for the number of recruits that he hopes to sign:

Fleck was non-committal in his quick response, “I’m not concerned with that right now. I took the job for the challenges!”

8) Fleck was asked where the Gophers will be on New Year’s Eve in 2017:"

He didn’t give an answer to the question – location of a bowl game. Instead, he talked about the future of the program, “It’s a process . . . to win national championships . . . process and vision with a National Championship level.”

9) Mike Max followed up Dave’s question with a similar question related to next season:

Again, his response was about the future of Golden Gophers football. “I’m not concerned with the wins, now . . . whatever we have to do to get championships.” He also said they intend to sustain the high level.

10) Dave asked if he would be at tonight’s men’s basketball game with Ohio State:

He will be introduced to the fans at the game. (Joking) “We might have Pitino throw me an “alley-oop.’’

11) Fleck was asked what he’s doing during the quiet/dead period of recruiting (non-face-to-face contact):

Fleck quickly responded, “Putting staff together today and recruiting . . . recruiting the most elite players.”

12) Dave asked a follow-up question related the hiring a staff:

“I’d like to have the staff hired by Thursday,” Fleck said. He’ll be talking to potential assistants at the National Coaches Convention, which starts tomorrow in Nashville, Tennessee.

13) Dave Mona about the status of Dan O’Brien and linebacker coach Mike Sherels:

“First and foremost, I appreciate the gracious welcome that I received,” Fleck said. Although he didn’t say specifically what they’ll be doing, as far as coaching, he said, “I’m going to make sure they have a role in Gopher football.”

Go Gophers!!

Thanks, DL. The White Mountains are excited.

Thanks, DL. Sherels stays in Gopher Football!

DL you are the man. Rapid Fire questions were met with rapid fire responses. You capture that in print. Again, thank you for you excellent transcription.

To clarify the scholarship # question, they asked him if he was trying to balance the number of players recruited with the potential for suspensions or transfers. He indicated pretty strongly that they were going to take a full class anyway no matter what and that he wasn't planning around who was or wasn't returning.

8) Fleck was asked where the Gophers will be on New Year’s Eve in 2017:"

How do you expect him to respond to a question like that? This prediction business is for the birds.

Thanks DL for taking the time to do this thread.

Fleck also apparently has a Sid bobblehead on his desk. He ended his interview praising Sid and saying he's praying for his recovery and the guys mentioned the bobblehead

Fleck also apparently has a Sid bobblehead on his desk. He ended his interview praising Sid and saying he's praying for his recovery and the guys mentioned the bobblehead

Correct. Coach Fleck's wife posted a photo of him at his desk with the bobblehead in sight.

Full spring game eh? Better be a real game situation then, people won't be interested if it's not. Also hope the band is invited to play as well :)

Full spring game eh? Better be a real game situation then, people won't be interested if it's not. Also hope the band is invited to play as well :)

Love it when new coaches who have no idea the long term (see 57 years) apathy and disappointment surrounding this program start planning on solving the problems without any plan what so ever. He could win the Big Ten, go the Rose Bowl and hire the dallas cowboy cheerleaders to entertain and we wouldn't get more than 25,000 at our spring game. Now give away free beer and the stadium would be full.

Love it when new coaches who have no idea the long term (see 57 years) apathy and disappointment surrounding this program start planning on solving the problems without any plan what so ever. He could win the Big Ten, go the Rose Bowl and hire the dallas cowboy cheerleaders to entertain and we wouldn't get more than 25,000 at our spring game. Now give away free beer and the stadium would be full.

Yeah, don't think we'd get a full stadium any time soon, but to even get like 5,000-10,000 would be leagues better and funner than now. Getting students to go is a big part of it I think, get them there and having fun and your attendance will increase slowly over the years. But I think if it had the atmosphere of a real game, it would do a lot.

This was my favorite part.

I know it was likely a joke, but if this were to happen, they better have someone else from Gopher Digital Productions film it and put it on YouTube.

Top Bottom