Gopher Tendency: Play to the Level of the Opponent

BG scored after both so I think that's a change in momentum.

If they would have continued scoring.....maybe. But it's not like the 4th down miss changed how impotent our offense was. South Alabama put up 22 points on this team. There's no possible excuse to defend Sanford after this.

If they would have continued scoring.....maybe. But it's not like the 4th down miss changed how impotent our offense was. South Alabama put up 22 points on this team. There's no possible excuse to defend Sanford after this.
You play the field position game when things aren't clicking. The punter was pinning them deep and the defense was playing well. Two really bad decisions were made, and not by the OC.

You play the field position game when things aren't clicking. The punter was pinning them deep and the defense was playing well. Two really bad decisions were made, and not by the OC.

Two bad decisions. The OC was making bad decisions all game. We have ten points to show for that.

Two bad decisions. The OC was making bad decisions all game. We have ten points to show for that.
Those decisions led to 14 points. Defense played well enough to shutout this team but for those two decisions. Both gave BG short fields. That you're more pissed at the OC than Fleck is baffling.

Those decisions led to 14 points. Defense played well enough to shutout this team but for those two decisions. Both gave BG short fields. That you're more pissed at the OC than Fleck is baffling.

We were knocked out of field goal range TWICE because BG knew a pass was coming on third down after running on first and second. Ten points against this team is the reason we lost.

We were knocked out of field goal range TWICE because BG knew a pass was coming on third down after running on first and second. Ten points against this team is the reason we lost.
Nope

Last time I checked....we were favored by 31. So putting up ten points tells you all you need to know about how badly the offense underperformed. That starts with the playcalling.

Last time I checked....we were favored by 31. So putting up ten points tells you all you need to know about how badly the offense underperformed. That starts with the playcalling.
Those are Vegas odds for betting. Defense shuts out this opponent but for those decisions.

Football is not all about the athletes, or the Gophers would have won handily. It's about Coaching and putting the players in the best places to do what they do best. You add some bone head coaching decisions that baffled me last year and continue to baffle me this year, and then some bland predictable play calling into it, and you're not giving any of the players the best chance to win. When KC was the OC, he knew how to use Morgan to maximize his protentional. Nothing has changed except a new OC... and if you look at how the OC calls plays, you'll see it's very predictable. You can put Tom Brady at quarterback but if you call runs up the middle 80% on first and second, then ask him to try to pass vs a defense that is ready for it, his stats won't be that great either. Not to mention the design of the plays have no imagination or redirection at all... Then during the game, while they're stacking the box with 9 defenders, what does the OC do? Run right into it... he has no clue on how to beat it, except just close his eyes and hope the RB breaks a long run against that 9 man front.

TLDR:
OC is trash, and Fleck isn't good at game management. The End.

Those are Vegas odds for betting. Defense shuts out this opponent but for those decisions.

BG still had to go 65 yards for their second touchdown. So.....no. You can't blame the loss of a shutout on that missed field goal. The defense was worn down by the short drives. TOP in this game was 31:30 to 28:30. That's not good for an offense with the gameplan of run as much as possible.

BG still had to go 65 yards for their second touchdown. So.....no. You can't blame the loss of a shutout on that missed field goal. The defense was worn down by the short drives. TOP in this game was 31:30 to 28:30. That's not good for an offense with the gameplan of run as much as possible.
You pin them deep with a punt. Two really bad decisions.

You pin them deep with a punt. Two really bad decisions.

If the opposing offense goes 65 yards for a touchdown.....then you no longer get to say that the opposing team would have gone scoreless.

Also.....worth noting.....our first three points came on a drive that started at BG's 23 yard line. Just more proof that the offense was the biggest problem in the game. Bowling Green scored a touchdown from their drive that started at our 24.

PJ continues to preach the mantra of making your new best, but it seems his teams play to the level of its competition rather than rise to new levels.

What is your perspective on this?
That would seem to be the case so far, in an every-other-week pattern. Today's team would lose to all but Illinois - maybe even to Illinois. The Colorado game team could get to a bowl, maybe beat Wisconsin, too. Who knows which team will show up week to week?

Why is that baffling? We couldn’t score 14 points against a bad MAC team.

It's a problem when the head coach is known for being a motivator and a culture guy and then the team plays down to opposition frequently.

Out-hustled, out-prepared, out-coached.
Where is our Senior lead team? Yes coaching played a huge role. The seniors need to be PO'd and not let lack of hustle exist.

PJ continues to preach the mantra of making your new best, but it seems his teams play to the level of its competition rather than rise to new levels.

What is your perspective on this?
I think it’s more that we coach to the level of competition.
When have far better athletes than teams (BG, MOH, SDSU, Fresno, GSU) it seems our game plan is very basic on offense. Run a select few plays, because like people have said on here, we should be able to score regardless. When we face teams of equal or greater talent, we use the entire playbook and even throw in some new wrinkles.
That is all on coaching and more specifically the HC. I think he likes having close NC games with these inferior teams to get his team to stay focused and learn how to fight through adversity. When you play with fire like that sometimes you get burned and yesterday we were charred.
next week vs Purdue or offense will be different because we will use more of it. Only problem with that is Sanford doesn’t understand how to best utilize it and the players he has so it will still be a struggle.

I might have missed the video. Did Fleck do the locker room surf?

I bet the BG HC did.

Top Bottom