Gopher Sports: Whalen's Blog Reflections

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

Like everyone, the last month has been the most surreal time of my life. March started like any other March. We were traveling to the BIG tournament getting ready to make a run in Indianapolis. We felt really optimistic about our draw in the bracket. Our first three games would have been Penn State, Ohio State and Iowa. We had beaten Penn State in our first BIG game of the season, lost by three to Ohio State at home on New Year's Eve, and played Iowa very tough both times we faced them. We felt good going into the tournament but eventually the size and depth of Ohio State was too much for us. Our women gave it their best but it was Ohio State's night. Great job by them reaching the finals before falling to the eventual champion, Maryland.

Upon arriving home from the BIG Tournament, we began our spring break so our women went their separate ways. This week was a time of rest, recovery and a bit of reflection as our conference season had come to an end. All the while, the Coronavirus was becoming more and more prevalent on our TV screens and radios.

I was sitting in a gym recruiting the day it felt like our world changed forever. As I said leading up to March, we had heard some talk of Coronavirus and COVID-19 but until that point, it felt like it was "somewhere else." As I was sitting there watching some wonderful young players, it felt like every hour something was being postponed or shut down. First, the NCAA released that they were going to proceed with the NCAA Men's and Women's basketball tournaments, but without fans! By 8:30 that evening, the NBA had suspended the season. It was almost something out of a movie. I left the gym from recruiting that evening, and I knew things would probably never be the same.

Thanks for passing that on to us.

Top Bottom