Gopher Hole 2009 Freshmen of the year?

Schnoodler

Ice Cream Abuser
Reaction score
Thoughts on the most impactful freshmen of the year.

Nominees??

I should include JUCOs but I won't as they're not freshmen. If I did I most certainly would include Wills as the only one that started all year.

Carter, Cooper, Tinsley, Whaley, Gray, Allen, Wilhite. Anybody else with a shot?

Carter is the only one that won a starting job, kinda. Cooper probably the most spectacular. Whaley very solid freshmen year, I think probably a runner up to the two all big ten freshmen if they announced also rans. And of course Allen very solid as the PR.

I'm going with cooper.

Those are six really soid guys. i like it.

I vote for Gray, he adds an extra dimension to the offense, and forces opposing defenses to gameplan for him.

My vote is Allen. All the guy did was catch punts, everyone of 'em.

Mine too, His fielding punts as a true freshman was a very impressive thing to watch, he's gonna be a great one.

I have to go with Carter as he won a game all by himself. He also told the cops to f*ck off, earning him multiple brownie points.

Carter. Without him replacing Simmons in games our defensive stats would be so much worse. Corner is the hardest position on the field besides QB and for a true freshmen to step in and play it is amazing.

How could if be Allen? The guy seemed to only fair catch the ball. It may not of always been his fault, but that does not constitute a freshman of the year award.

IMO Keanon Cooper. Earned a lot of PT this year, looked like he belonged with an already solid group of linebackers. Blocked a punt at a critical moment in a game.

+1 This cannot be underemphasized. He had a ton of fair catches, and for just about every single one of those he had two or more guys coming at him like wild dogs to a slab of meat. Not muffing a single punt (I believe that is accurate) as a freshman deserves a ton of recognition.

Still, Cooper gets my vote. 999 out of 1000 times he blocks that punt against Wisconsin and the ball flies backwards, not forward inside our 20. Was seemingly on the ball every time he played and has a nose for the football. I am unbelievably happy we have him for three (hopefully) more years.

I've got to go with Whaley, he seemed to have the most impact.

Top Bottom