Gopher Gameday Pregame

sgarvey03

Reaction score
Which is the best bar in dinkytown / stadium village where a large group (~10 people) can congregate to get drinks and food prior to the gopher game. Sally's? Blarney's? Looking for more informal as it would be hard to get tables together.

Well you'll need to get there early if you want table together. Sallys probably has the most room to accommodate that followed by Stubs.

Which is the best bar in dinkytown / stadium village where a large group (~10 people) can congregate to get drinks and food prior to the gopher game. Sally's? Blarney's? Looking for more informal as it would be hard to get tables together.

Mannings is a good place. We've sat 9 in their corner booths and they have the back room where you may be able to push together enough tables to accomdate 10.

Informal you say...
I nominate Surly Brewery. They have cafeteria like seating and serve food, (burgers, bbq) but I haven't been there before a game. Probably one of the busiest places I would assume.

Anyone vouch for it for pregame?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Can be hit or miss sometimes for crowds but the McNamara Alumni Center could be an option also.

if its strictly bars, Stub and Herbs or Sallys gets my vote. Stub and herbs is usually an older crowd where sallys is like current students/recent grads

Informal you say...
I nominate Surly Brewery. They have cafeteria like seating and serve food, (burgers, bbq) but I haven't been there before a game. Probably one of the busiest places I would assume.

I have been there pregame several times (usually prior to the Thursday night openers) and it has been easy to get a table and I didn't find it to be overly crowded - both in the main hall as well as upstairs in the pizza room. So, in my experience Surly can be a very good choice but admittedly these visits were not on a Saturday and perhaps it is more crowded on the weekend.

The Corner bar. Great Gopher crowd and they have a party bus that will drop you off at The Bank.

You have Town Hall, Republic (old Sgt. Preston's), and Corner Bar at Seven Corners on the West Bank. All have room for a large group. Republic has probably 100 beers on tap.

Informal you say...

Surly is great. The only thing I don't like is there is no tv's to follow the earlier games.

if its strictly bars, Stub and Herbs or Sallys gets my vote. Stub and herbs is usually an older crowd where sallys is like current students/recent grads

Don't people call it "Sturbs" anymore?

Noodles and company

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Don't people call it "Sturbs" anymore?

Seemed like the OP is not all that familiar with Stadium Village, didnt want him googling Sturbs and coming up empty.

I've never been to Kollege Klub in Dinkytown, but it used to be the library, briefly the pourhouse....Could be an option as well

But at this point, I'm just naming all the bars in the area. I think you're only shot at a table is to be there by 3pm

When were you at the U? In my day (mid 80s-early 90s) that's what pretty much everybody called it.

Never a student, I do work at the U.

Graduate of UMD-so my hockey loyalties are divided

I'm not saying it isn't a thing, just never heard it. With that said, I'd know what poeple are talking about if they were talking in reference of bars near TCF/Gopher

Thanks for the recommendations. When I was a student we would go directly from our house to the game so never got a great feel for how crowded the bar scene was during the day prior to gametime

Never a student, I do work at the U.

Graduate of UMD-so my hockey loyalties are divided

I'm not saying it isn't a thing, just never heard it. With that said, I'd know what poeple are talking about if they were talking in reference of bars near TCF/Gopher

The only alternative name I recall was Stub's. Nobody ever used the full name. What do they call it now?

The only alternative name I recall was Stub's. Nobody ever used the full name. What do they call it now?

I've just heard it called Stubs.

There very well could be still be students saying Sturbs.

I've just heard it called Stubs.

There very well could be still be students saying Sturbs.

When I was a student in mid-2000's it was both. Mostly Stub's but also Sturbs.

Graduated in 2017, I heard it as Sterbs.

Top Bottom