Gopher Football 2021 Spring Practice Week #1 Recap (VIDEO)

Well, gee... I liked the video.

But then, I just had to read the comments. Couldn't stop myself.

Annnnnnd, there it is, as always. Minnesota: Land of 10,000 Buzz Kills.

Joy Whack-a-Mole. Perfect!

"So, more and more people are vaccinated, spring is in the air, fans will be allowed at the Spring Game! How ya feelin', Minnesotans!?"

"Not too bad. Could be worse, I guess. We need some rain. Pretty dry."

"Just to poke Murray in the eye"

Hey, my feelings aren't hurt. Minnesotans will be Minnesotans. To coin a generalization: more than a few Minnesotans are loathe to show "too much" enthusiasm. They tend to ignore silver linings, and continually focus on the clouds.

Example: if you show them a 'hype' video produced by the team they follow, which is designed to generate enthusiasm and excitement for the upcoming (post-COVID) season — they'll respond to said video by grumbling about something.

I grew up here, and have lived here all my life, so I'm used to it. I just find it bemusing.

"Just to poke Murray in the eye"

Hey, my feelings aren't hurt. Minnesotans will be Minnesotans. To coin a generalization: more than a few Minnesotans are loathe to show "too much" enthusiasm. They tend to ignore silver linings, and continually focus on the clouds.

Example: if you show them a 'hype' video produced by the team they follow, which is designed to generate enthusiasm and excitement for the upcoming (post-COVID) season — they'll respond to said video by grumbling about something.

I grew up here, and have lived here all my life, so I'm used to it. I just find it bemusing.
You read some folks posts and you get the feeling they haven't enjoyed a gopher game in the last 20 years.

I think it is a Scandinavian thing.

The Bamford "Joy Whack a Mole" bit covers it, as does How to Talk Minnesotan covers it in its own way:

I once heard it described as "Nordic Chill" but I think the official term is Law of Jante:

The ten rules state:

1. You're not to think you are anything special.
  2. You're not to think you are as good as we are.
  3. You're not to think you are smarter than we are.
  4. You're not to imagine yourself better than we are.
  5. You're not to think you know more than we do.
  6. You're not to think you are more important than we are.
  7. You're not to think you are good at anything.
  8. You're not to laugh at us.
  9. You're not to think anyone cares about you.
  10. You're not to think you can teach us anything.

The Janters who transgress this unwritten 'law' are regarded with suspicion and some hostility, as it goes against the town's communal desire to preserve harmony, social stability, and uniformity.

Anything / anyone supporting that "you" seems ripe for ridicule as well.

Those sort of matte metallic helmets are sweet. It's going to be a long wait for Fall if the Twins don't go on a nice run.

Well, gee... I liked the video.

But then, I just had to read the comments. Couldn't stop myself.

Annnnnnd, there it is, as always. Minnesota: Land of 10,000 Buzz Kills.
Yeah but you can make that comment about the comments section on any website and about any topic. You could have a story about some puppy saving a baby and there would still be an ahole keyboard warrior somewhere sitting behind his computer spewing hateful comments.

It really is amazing to see some of the crap that people are willing to say when there is no real threat of repercussions. That, and there are a lot of really sad people out there with nothing better to do with their lives then try and cut other people down.

It really is amazing to see some of the crap that people are willing to say when there is no real threat of repercussions. That, and there are a lot of really sad people out there with nothing better to do with their lives then try and cut other people down.
It's the double-edged sword of anonymity.

I love anonymity for voting, because then you can't pressure someone to vote a certain way. They get to vote how they really think is best, and you don't get to ever know how they voted.

In much the same way, but to a massively opposite affect in terms of goodness, anonymity in comments allows the darkest, worst, asshole-iest side of all people to rear its ugly head.

Top Bottom