Gopher Divine Comedy??

WriterGoph

Reaction score
I mentioned this is another thread last week, but wouldn't it be the ultimate piece of comedy from the universe if this offseason plays out like this:

-- Gopher fan base ready for a coaching change
-- Season gets ended early by COVID
-- Pitino gets another year (arguably) due to COVID and economic environment
-- Carr announces for NBA draft, but then returns to team
-- Gophers land one of the best transfers available to replace Oturu
-- Gophers land another solid transfer to replace Demir
-- Gophers get local kid Walton (after all the consternation about not being able to recruit Minnesota players)
-- Robbins gets immediate eligibility from NCAA

Now, a bunch of these have already happened. Wouldn't it be the most un-Gopher offseason if all these boxes get checked? If it hasn't already happened, the tone amongst our fans heading into next season could be massively different than it was 3-4 weeks ago

Last edited:

You forgot the last step.

- season gets canceled after first pre-season game when COVID19 second wave hits like an earthquake!

Now that would complete a perfect Gopher off-season!

Sounds pretty Gopher-like to me. The squad you put out there if all those things are occur finishes in the 10-12 range in B10. And now Peyton is gone.

Sounds pretty Gopher-like to me. The squad you put out there if all those things are occur finishes in the 10-12 range in B10. And now Peyton is gone.

A. You're absolutely nuts. Take a break from the LSD.
B. Since when are the Gophers landing top transfer targets in the country?

A. You're absolutely nuts. Take a break from the LSD.
B. Since when are the Gophers landing top transfer targets in the country?

Best be checking you're Gopher hoops history, my boy. Especially under Richard.

Whats your rationale there? We would have a competitive starting 5 with our bench probably going 3 or 4 deep

Whats your rationale there? We would have a competitive starting 5 with our bench probably going 3 or 4 deep

We say this stuff every year. Willis gone and we've lost one of our best Bigs we've ever had. Hoping for the best, but I've seen this show before.

He is just being a dick. Surprised he didn't pull out his usual "Lil' Ricky"

Ultimately, no sane (or non-trolling) person could genuinely argue that the Gophers would not be in a much better position if the things I laid out happened. Arguably, even if we don't get Walton, but Carr comes back and Robbins get immediately eligible, this team will likely be much deeper and improved from last year

We say this stuff every year. Willis gone and we've lost one of our best Bigs we've ever had. Hoping for the best, but I've seen this show before.

There is a strong likelihood Willis wouldn't have started this next season and while Robbins might not be Oturu yet, he is a VERY strong replacement (some are calling him the best transfer that was available). Sure there might be some dropoff, but the rest of our team also gets older (development) and deeper.

Robbins seems better than Oturu as a system-based post. Looks like more your traditional post-up option versus taking guys one-on-one all over the floor as Oturu did. I hope this helps Pitino transition into more of a system-based offensive coach. IMO Pitino has always just been the guy that rolls the ball out there and wants our talent to make it happen. I know there was a lot of talk about his system being revolved around pick-and-roll, and sure that's fair. I'd just like to see more ball movement within an offense. Have Robbins going block to block and occasionally use him in the pick-and-roll late clock. Or use Johnson. To me Johnson's game seems more comparable to Oturu's. And no I'm not comparing their talent. But first glance seems like Johnson can play on the perimeter or in the post with a good matchup.

Overall I just like the way this roster is put together at this point. You've got variety on the perimeter and multiple guys that can do different things. I really hope to see Robbins this year as I don't think Johnson at the 5 is best for him, or the team. I'd almost rather see Omersa or Freeman, or possibly Curry, develop more and keep Johnson at the 4. Mix him in at the 5 occassionally.

I like the potential of the way this offense could look, if the staff can develop it into that.

He is just being a dick. Surprised he didn't pull out his usual "Lil' Ricky"

Ultimately, no sane (or non-trolling) person could genuinely argue that the Gophers would not be in a much better position if the things I laid out happened. Arguably, even if we don't get Walton, but Carr comes back and Robbins get immediately eligible, this team will likely be much deeper and improved from last year
There is truth to it but it has to be done with insight and respect to what other programs are doing. Like a transfer being called one of the best. May be true but if the elite programs showed no interest because of position fit or incoming freshman or redshirts than what does it mean. The season will reveal who made the most progress. Some of the best, just in the conference return nearly everyone plus add very impressive classes.

There is truth to it but it has to be done with insight and respect to what other programs are doing. Like a transfer being called one of the best. May be true but if the elite programs showed no interest because of position fit or incoming freshman or redshirts than what does it mean. The season will reveal who made the most progress. Some of the best, just in the conference return nearly everyone plus add very impressive classes.
Built, I respect your basketball knowledge and connections. But the bolded point is one you've come back to multiple times - that the blue bloods didn't offer Robbins and therefore weren't interested.

I'm telling you, it happened too quickly and unexpectedly for him to gather a host of high-level offers. If hot girl Nancy broke up with her boyfriend on Tuesday, then started dating someone else on Wednesday, it didn't mean I wasn't interested in asking her out myself. It means I didn't find out in time to give her a call.

Built, you can watch the films on Robbins and make your own evaluation instead of saying, you don't know enough, or none of the Blue Bloods offered... Of course we will have to see if it transfers to the B1G, but his film looks like he was physical and aggressive enough to fit in the B1G.

It looks is that Robbins had not planned to leave, but once his other teammates left he thought maybe I could play for my uncle in Minnesota and make a jump to P5. He put in his notice, talked to the U and it happen in just a day or two. He didn't wait for suitors to come calling.

Built, I respect your basketball knowledge and connections. But the bolded point is one you've come back to multiple times - that the blue bloods didn't offer Robbins and therefore weren't interested.

I'm telling you, it happened too quickly and unexpectedly for him to gather a host of high-level offers. If hot girl Nancy broke up with her boyfriend on Tuesday, then started dating someone else on Wednesday, it didn't mean I wasn't interested in asking her out myself. It means I didn't find out in time to give her a call.
So you consider yourself a blue blood huh? :)

Top Bottom