Gopher defense

RememberMurray

Reaction score
Yes, I know it was Iowa's offense, which is known for being notoriously bad.

But Iowa had 200 yards rushing vs Wisconsin just one week ago. Minnesota's run defense never gave them a sliver of daylight.

— If the Gopher defense has reverted to their previous form under Rossi,

— If the staff can patch together some kind of plan with the remaining healthy running backs,

— If Kaliakmanis can show once again what we all know he's capable of (Wisconsin last season),

... then this season can still be a memorable one.

FLOYD IS HOME!

But Iowa had 200 yards rushing vs Wisconsin just one week ago. Minnesota's run defense never gave them a sliver of daylight.

— If the staff can patch together some kind of plan with the remaining healthy running backs,

— If Kaliakmanis can show once again what we all know he's capable of (Wisconsin last season),

FLOYD IS HOME!

This. All of this.

We need all three of those things, along with minimizing turnovers.

So I don't think the title of this thread is aptly "Gopher defense".

It should be "What we need for the rest of the year!"

I get that Iowa quarterback was terrible in their O in general isn’t very good. Sometimes things that appear to be bad or blessings in disguise and I think the penalty drive where they scored a touchdown right before the half caused our coaches to tear into our D I’ve never seen that bunch so motivated as they were in the second half yesterday it was fun to watch. Sometimes a little kick in the tail for kids this age can really work. Just super fun watching them stuff Iowa in the second half.

FLOYD IS HOME!
Well Iowa got almost half of its rushing yards on one play. Without that it was a relatively pedestrian output.

Last edited:

We sold out on run defense and dared the QB to beat us. Outside of first drive the plan work great. Not sure we can do that against everyone.
Correct. We can enjoy the win yesterday while still recognizing the obvious. Clearly, playing the worst offense in modern college football will make our defense look and perform better. Until they do this against better offensive teams, I’ll chalk yesterday up to playing Iowa. The defense shouldn’t be overmatched by Michigan State’s offense next week. It’ll be a good test to see if the defense can do this two weeks in a row. My concern is Purdue’s passing game, but we have other games to worry about first. Just glad they were able to actually do what they should have been able to do, against that horrible Iowa offense.

I still don’t understand: why did Gousby come into the game when Green went out with injury??

Why not the guy who … you know, won MVP of the bowl game last year??????

I still don’t understand: why did Gousby come into the game when Green went out with injury??

Why not the guy who … you know, won MVP of the bowl game last year??????

Did you watch him in the spring game ? He got toasted over and over. He doesn't have the quick reaction time and speed needed. IMHO

The defense did what they should have against what very well may be the worst offense in major CFB. That isn’t a rip, that’s all they can do. It also isn’t all that impressive.

I did too, and it was one of the most promising aspects of the defense yesterday. I sure hope they can keep that up next week and beyond.
I wonder if they have been held back a little bit due to the linebackers struggling.

But with that situation they smelled blood and were cut loose.

I wonder if they have been held back a little bit due to the linebackers struggling.

But with that situation they smelled blood and were cut loose.

When we play non-mobile QBs we play well as our D is designed to do that.

When we play mobile QBs we are awful as our D plays contain and our LBs are used to covering TEs not slot WRs.

This causes time for the QB to move around in the pocket and let WRs get behind the LBs and find massive holes in the zone

The defense did what they should have against what very well may be the worst offense in major CFB. That isn’t a rip, that’s all they can do. It also isn’t all that impressive.
Is Iowa's o-line that bad this year?

Correct. We can enjoy the win yesterday while still recognizing the obvious. Clearly, playing the worst offense in modern college football will make our defense look and perform better. Until they do this against better offensive teams, I’ll chalk yesterday up to playing Iowa. The defense shouldn’t be overmatched by Michigan State’s offense next week. It’ll be a good test to see if the defense can do this two weeks in a row. My concern is Purdue’s passing game, but we have other games to worry about first. Just glad they were able to actually do what they should have been able to do, against that horrible Iowa offense.
We can beat Purdue, but our offense will have to score some TDs. Our run defense has been good; our pass defense is still a work in progress. Purdue might expose our pass defense. But we beat Iowa, so I am happy for now.

@Texan Gopher fair enough. I think some dudes are gamers and sometimes coaches outthink and paralyze themselves by refusing to go off anything other than what they see in practice.

Given what happened to Gousby against UNC, I think we have to be willing to try it ..

@Texan Gopher fair enough. I think some dudes are gamers and sometimes coaches outthink and paralyze themselves by refusing to go off anything other than what they see in practice.

Given what happened to Gousby against UNC, I think we have to be willing to try it ..
You could be correct for sure. It would be fun to be in the coaches meetings and see what they say when it comes to whose getting the snaps and why.

Well said. Iowa is bad on offense but that was still holding a ranked conference opponent to 127 total yards on the road.

It felt like they could have played another half and Iowa still would not have scored.

Well said. Iowa is bad on offense but that was still holding a ranked conference opponent to 127 total yards on the road.

It felt like they could have played another half and Iowa still would not have scored.

Yep.

And Iowa was 6-1, ranked #24 in the nation, and they were playing at home in front of a big crowd wearing black and yellow.

Obviously, people have every right to try to minimize this if that's what they choose to do. My own opinion is that this was an impressive win.

Did Gousby do something wrong yesterday? I’d say at the very least, a wrong decision was most certainly not made, there.

I don’t think so, was just surprised that he was the guy going in. Thinking to myself “ah cripes, they’re going to throw right over the top of him again!”

Holding any team to 2 yards in a half is impressive. Iowa had as many turnovers as yards in the 2nd half and we added 4 sacks. Iowa running backs had 20 Carries for 33 yards. Everything about that is incredibly impressive no matter the opponent

Top Bottom