Gopher Bowl projection

paulsonj72

Reaction score
Just saw as of now ESPN does NOT have the Gophers going to the Rose Bowl. HOWEVER they are still projected at this time to make an apperance in one of the New Years Day 6 bowls. ESPN has thwm going to MIami for the Orange Bowl still a prime bowl destination

OMG the Orange Bowl.

Vs. a potentially UNRANKED ACC team.

Yeah the ACC could actually send someone unranked to a NYD bowl game this year.

Just go where we're invited, and beat who's in front of us. Nothing else matters

OMG the Orange Bowl.

Vs. a potentially UNRANKED ACC team.

Yeah the ACC could actually send someone unranked to a NYD bowl game this year.

I remember a few years ago Gophers fans freaking out about having to play Syracuse let alone an ACC team in a bowl game.

The Gophers lost the game.

If the Gophers get invited to a NY6 bowl game no matter the opponent considering where this program has been for the last 50 years it shouldn’t be viewed as an insult.

I remember a few years ago Gophers fans freaking out about having to play Syracuse let alone an ACC team in a bowl game.

The Gophers lost the game.

If the Gophers get invited to a NY6 bowl game no matter the opponent considering where this program has been for the last 50 years it shouldn’t be viewed as an insult.
Insult? No.
Lower excitement? Yep.

If I recall correctly, "freaking out" was an overstatement, and the issue fans had wasn't in playing Syracuse but that Gopher fans were hoping for a most prestigious bowl.

If I recall correctly, "freaking out" was an overstatement, and the issue fans had wasn't in playing Syracuse but that Gopher fans were hoping for a most prestigious bowl.

Sounds exactly like how GT sounded last year before our bowl game.

The most recent ESPN bowl projections appear to be based strictly on the current rankings and don't take into account what could or will happen in the upcoming weeks of the season. For instance, currently one of the CFP semifinals has #1 LSU facing #4 Georgia. Those two teams will likely meet in the SEC Championship Game and if LSU beats the Bulldogs, especially by a big margin, then Georgia will almost certainly fall out of the CFP.

The current Rose Bowl bid in ESPN's predictions goes to Penn State because they ranked #8 and are the second highest ranked Big Ten team after #2 Ohio State. The Buckeyes are currently an 18.5 point favorite to beat the Nittany Lions, a loss that will likely send PSU out of the Top 10. These projections can be disregarded in favor of bowl predictions that take a look at what is going to happen rather than the status quo.

If the Gophers beat WI, they go to the Rose Bowl.

Unless Penn State somehow upsets OSU and that knocks OSU out of the top 4 in the CFP.

On the flip side, under that scenario, the Gophers would face PSU for the B1G Championship.

Now, if the CFP has to choose between a 1-loss Gopher team and a 1-loss OSU team, I think we all know how that will go down.

But, it still comes back to the 1st sentence - beat WI, Gophers are going to the Rose Bowl unless a whole bunch of unlikely events all happen.

Unless Penn State somehow upsets OSU and that knocks OSU out of the top 4 in the CFP.

On the flip side, under that scenario, the Gophers would face PSU for the B1G Championship.

Now, if the CFP has to choose between a 1-loss Gopher team and a 1-loss OSU team, I think we all know how that will go down.

But, it still comes back to the 1st sentence - beat WI, Gophers are going to the Rose Bowl unless a whole bunch of unlikely events all happen.

Are we sure that's a sure deal?

I'm not sure that Penn St. doesn't eek in on us somehow...

If I remember right about 2013, it wasn't as much about Syracuse & who they were as that we had just played them the year before at home.

How about PSU losing to Ohio State in a close game this weekend and the Gophers beat Wisconsin but then get drubbed in the Big 10 championship game by OSUO by a score of.... oh let's say 59-0 for instance. I could see PSU jumping back ahead of the Gophers in the final playoff ranking under that scenario.

I’m with SON. If we win this week and next we will go to the Rose Bowl unless some weird stuff in the East happens. Not guaranteed, but very very very likely.

They'd take both?

Just saw as of now ESPN does NOT have the Gophers going to the Rose Bowl. HOWEVER they are still projected at this time to make an apperance in one of the New Years Day 6 bowls. ESPN has thwm going to MIami for the Orange Bowl still a prime bowl destination
Orange is definitely in play - Guessing visit to TCF vs PSU helped our chances more than hurt given the potential storylines, warm weather destination, and most importantly - an impressive performance.

So many "ifs" in play here. But IF we play an undefeated Ohio State team in the B1G championship and we lose... Will the committee use the Ohio State performances as the measuring stick? Meaning, the Penn State loss to Ohio State v. the Minnesota loss to Ohio State is the judgement on who gets to represent the B1G in the Rose Bowl?

Personally, I think the Gophers should be in, we beat Penn State for goodness sake, but money talks and the narrative will be out there...

That's my biggest fear on us being snubbed. Gotta get through these two games first, of course.

If we go to the Orange Bowl, I could bring my family and we could drive down the Florida Keys. I was stationed in Homestead and I never made it all the way down the keys. If we went to the Citrus Bowl, I would bring my family and my wife could take our daughter to Disney World while I'm at the game.

2019 is the same as 2016, as far as the NY6 configuration goes, with Peach & Fiesta hosting the semi.

That year, Ohio St finished ranked #3 at 11-1, after not playing in the Big Ten champ game, and went to the CFP (where they were trounced 31-0 by Clemson). Penn St, won the Big Ten champ game (over Wisc) and finished ranked #5 at 11-2, and went to the Rose (where they lost 52-49 to USC). And Michigan finished ranked #6 at 10-2, and went to the Orange (where they lost to Florida St 33-32).

Wisc finished ranked #8 at 10-3, and went to the Cotton (where they beat .... guess who??).

If Penn St somehow beats Ohio St this weekend, then we go to the Big Ten champ game and win ... I really wonder if the same damn thing will happen to us?? Ohio St remains top 4, having not even won the champ game?

EDIT -- the major difference, at least as of now, is as follows: Penn St still had 2 losses, even though they upset Ohio St and won the BT champ game. We currently only have one loss. We have to beat Wisc to go to the BT champ game in the first place, so for discussion you have to assume the win there. That only leaves the NW game this week ... Take care of that, and it would probably be pretty difficult to put Ohio St at 11-1 with a loss to PSU ranked higher than Minn at 12-1 having beat PSU twice. But they still might try .......

Last edited:

Also interesting ... the Orange automatically gets the ACC champ, or the next highest ranked team if the champ is in the CFP (which has been Clemson every year since 2015 season). In the 12 year CFP/NY6 agreement, it hosts the semi 4 times. In the other 8 years, the Big Ten and SEC are guaranteed 3 bowls each, while Notre Dame can get no more than 2.

Big Ten has had 2, and SEC 1. So Notre Dame could theoretically be on the table for the Orange this year, as well.

I can't see them taking Penn St over us. We would have won our division, won the head to head, have a better record (11-2 vs 10-2).

As I'll be in FLA over NYear, selfishly I'm hoping this pans out. Rose Bowl next year, fellas

I can't see them taking Penn St over us. We would have won our division, won the head to head, have a better record (11-2 vs 10-2).
The only scenario we would have to worry about, at all, is if Penn St loses this week and we lose this week to NW.

That's the one where, say we then beat Wisconsin and go to the BT champ game at 10-2. Penn St would also be 10-2 (assuming they finish out with a win over Mich St). Then we lose in the champ game to Ohio St and end up 10-3. They remain 10-2. Ohio St goes to the CFP. Penn St is then the highest ranked team after Ohio St.

That's where we'd get screwed by playing in the BT champ game, and taking an extra loss.

As I'll be in FLA over NYear, selfishly I'm hoping this pans out. Rose Bowl next year, fellas
Screw that there aren't any guarantees we'll be contenders for the Rose Bowl next year. Give me the Rose Bowl this year while we got a shot.

Gophs would likely be playing an unranked team in Orange... unless Clemson loses a game.

Top Bottom