Golden on ESPN 2

Wheaton

Reaction score
Even though I don't think he is coming to Minnesota, Al Golden's Owls are currently playing on ESPN 2 against Ohio.

They are trailing 7-0 at the start of the second.

If Ohio wins then Frank Solich is automatically a candidate. That's how this works, right?

I'm a big fan of Golden. I have a solid 10 guys I'm happy with though. Hate to get dead set on a favorite and be upset when they make a hire.

I'm a big fan of Golden. I have a solid 10 guys I'm happy with though. Hate to get dead set on a favorite and be upset when they make a hire.

That's the way to do it. Keep your options both wide and open, and thereby minimize what might otherwise be an unrealistic sense of disappointment if your favorite candidate doesn't get (or want) the job. I've got my own list of 8-10 guys and would be happy to varying degrees with any of them and fully supportive of our hire no matter what. Just no Trestman, Maturi. Please don't do that to me as a fan. That's about all I ask.

If Ohio wins then Frank Solich is automatically a candidate. That's how this works, right?

No, no, no. Way off. Whoever wins this game is automatically the next coach.

Don't post this. People are very distant from what's going on at PSU but they think Golden is a lock to PSU.

Not sure I am a fan of Temple's "East Coast Offense" with 6 TE's listed on the depth chart. Yuck. Just a personal preference.

Don't post this. People are very distant from what's going on at PSU but they think Golden is a lock to PSU.

I don't think he is a lock to Penn State.

However, I think he would love that job and is more than content to wait out Jo Pa for his chance to interview.

If he would go after the Minnesota job he would leave a sweet gig he's got going for himself at Temple for a rebuilding program that is tough to win at in the beginning.

If he tries to get that Penn State Job he either gets it, or he doesn't and he gets to stick it out at Temple.

There appeared to be about 75 people in the stands....I counted them all!!!! Temple isn't exactly football crazy.

I am old enough to remember when Solich was the relatively-young "hot" coaching prospect. He was mentioned as a possibility for the Gophers both after Gutekunst and Wacker tenures. He stuck around and waited for the opportunity to succeed Dr. Tom and went 58-19 in six seasons, but that wasn't enough for the Husker faithful and he was fired. Took a year off and ended up in Ohio, where he's gone 37-34.

Talk about a tough crowd. In his six seasons at Nebraska, Solich finished in the Top 20 five times. He won (or tied for the lead) the Big-12 North three times. He was 34-15 in the conference (says something about the non-conference schedule if you manage to lose only four times in six seasons) and it wasn't enough. Fair or unfair, you know the fan base and administration have high expectations if you get fired after that level of performance.

I'm also old enough to remember when Solich was the 145-pound fullback for some pretty good Nebraska teams under Bob Devaney.

Solich is a solid coach, but lacks personality, which may be why we didn't hire him. He would have done as well or better than most. We could have had Pelini, too, it seems - and Patterson after the callback, if that story is true (and Wilkinson, Alvarez, etc.). We don't seem to get it right.

Solich is a solid coach, but lacks personality, which may be why we didn't hire him. He would have done as well or better than most. We could have had Pelini, too, it seems - and Patterson after the callback, if that story is true (and Wilkinson, Alvarez, etc.). We don't seem to get it right.

We also could have had John Wooden in basketball, but a snow storm and the administrations lack of urgency let him get away.

The full story is in Dave Mona's book, its a great read!

I don't believe the callback story, myself. Sure, there may have been another conversation, but I highly doubt it was, "I changed my mind. I'll take it." Just my guess, maybe because Sid is the only person I've heard talk about it. I'm sure in four or five years we will hear how close we were to getting him again -- or Harbaugh, or Bellotti, or whoever Maturi might talk to during this process who blows up later. I'm pissed that we didn't take Bobby Ross after Holtz left, but even with him I sometimes wonder if he would've actually said yes if he were offered the job.

Everything that i've read suggests that is very far from the truth.

It seems like Penn St is going to either promote from within (almost guranteed) and if they decide to rock the boat and not hire one of the coordinators it will be a big name, think the kind of guys that we want but consider "ungettable".

The name Al Golden hasn't exactly lit a fire under our fanbase could you imagine how boring he would sound to Penn St. people? It will either be a coordinator or Harbaugh/Patterson/Peterson type of hiring at Penn St.

I don't believe the callback story, myself. Sure, there may have been another conversation, but I highly doubt it was, "I changed my mind. I'll take it." Just my guess, maybe because Sid is the only person I've heard talk about it. I'm sure in four or five years we will hear how close we were to getting him again -- or Harbaugh, or Bellotti, or whoever Maturi might talk to during this process who blows up later. I'm pissed that we didn't take Bobby Ross after Holtz left, but even with him I sometimes wonder if he would've actually said yes if he were offered the job.

Good rule of thumb...if you only hear the story from Sid it is merely a product of the deterioration of an old man's brain.

Everything that i've read suggests that is very far from the truth.

It seems like Penn St is going to either promote from within (almost guranteed) and if they decide to rock the boat and not hire one of the coordinators it will be a big name, think the kind of guys that we want but consider "ungettable".

The name Al Golden hasn't exactly lit a fire under our fanbase could you imagine how boring he would sound to Penn St. people? It will either be a coordinator or Harbaugh/Patterson/Peterson type of hiring at Penn St.

It is far from guaranteed that one of the current coordinators will get that job when JoePa leaves. Al is very highly thought of by JoePa and if he is selected with the JoePa seal of approval as one of his boys then the majority of their fanbase and or former players will likely not have a problem with it.

Top Bottom