Golden Gopher Bar--LA

Doc1001

Reaction score
I know its been talked about that there is a golden gopher bar in LA. Some gopher fans in here have talked about it. Its in downtown LA and they call themselves a dive bar. I wonder if the Rose Bowl crowd will be stopping by there in October. But did you know Taylor Swift used the bar in one of her videos?I know the gopher hole here is full of Taylor Swift fans ha.

I know its been talked about that there is a golden gopher bar in LA. Some gopher fans in here have talked about it. Its in downtown LA and they call themselves a dive bar. I wonder if the Rose Bowl crowd will be stopping by there in October. But did you know Taylor Swift used the bar in one of her videos?I know the gopher hole here is full of Taylor Swift fans ha.
going-to-vomit.gif

Lifelong Gopher fan here, and lifelong Los Angeles resident (pops is from Minnesoters).
I was very excited when i found this place as well, but disappointed to find it's extremely hipster and not really my type of place. Cool Place to take a picture in front of tho. Before the UCLA Game i'd recommend Barney's Beanery in Pasadena. It's right by the Rose Bowl.

Last edited:

Lifelong Gopher fan here, and lifelong Los Angeles resident (pops is from Minnesoters).
I was very excited when i found this place as well, but disappointed to find it's extremely hipster and not really my type of place. Cool Place to take a picture in front of tho. Before the UCLA Game i'd recommend Barney's Beanery in Pasadena. It's right by the Rose Bowl.
Yeah, a place right by the stadium is ideal on gameday...assume the drive time to/from DT LA could vary greatly. Is there a brewery/distillery close to the stadium or in the vicinity?

I hate to burst the bubble, but I lived in LA for more than a decade, have been to this bar, and it has nothing to do with the Minnesota Gophers. It's just a name and a cool neon sign. This is a dive/hipster bar. If you're visiting LA for a Gopher game, not only would I avoid staying in Downtown LA, I wouldn't even bother visiting this bar. LA has way more to offer. Stay in Pasadena or Santa Monica, and if you need a sports bar go to Barney's Beanery.

I hate to burst the bubble, but I lived in LA for more than a decade, have been to this bar, and it has nothing to do with the Minnesota Gophers. It's just a name and a cool neon sign. This is a dive/hipster bar. If you're visiting LA for a Gopher game, not only would I avoid staying in Downtown LA, I wouldn't even bother visiting this bar. LA has way more to offer. Stay in Pasadena or Santa Monica, and if you need a sports bar go to Barney's Beanery.
LA & SF are so forward thinking they have speed bumps on their sidewalks. :poop:

I wonder if its origins was a U of M sports bar and over the years morphed into something else entirely. Thanks for the good information if traveling out west.

100%

It looks like a place to get car-jacked or mugged.

It reminded me of San Francisco in the 1970s. You go past Market Street at that time, and you ask to get mugged. My friend and I wanted to eat something. We both brought a little money with us. So, we went to a Chinese dive bar where you could buy chow mien served from a water pitcher for ninety-nine cents. We placed our orders and went to use the bathroom. We passed by a swing door to the kitchen. We heard whacking sounds. It was the cook trying to swat cockroaches. We kept going through the side door. Three dudes started following us. We got shanghaied at a laundromat that had a security guard. It was over an hour before the coast was clear. We were dumb at age 20 going on a tour from Minnesota.

Last edited:

Yeah, a place right by the stadium is ideal on gameday...assume the drive time to/from DT LA could vary greatly. Is there a brewery/distillery close to the stadium or in the vicinity?
Stone Bewery has a location in Pasadena. Pretty famous out here, started in the San Diego area.
Congregation Ale House is really cool and really close to Rose Bowl

Stone Bewery has a location in Pasadena. Pretty famous out here, started in the San Diego area.
Congregation Ale House is really cool and really close to Rose Bowl
We should plan to take one of those over. Assuming the ale house is in a former church?

Santa Monica is also gross and far from the Rose Bowl. If you’re going for the Gopher game then stay in Pasadena and book Universal / maybe hike to the Hollywood sign.

I think we already knew that...we'll be taking over some place in Pasadena.

Top Bottom