Gizmo Brew Works Chapel Hill

PMWinSTP

Reaction score
This looks like a good place to take over for the UNC game. Thoughts?

Bumped to get some responses.

This looks like a good place to take over for the UNC game. Thoughts?

I'm taking over everywhere I go.... just look for the hillbilly ass looking gopher fan... you'll know it's me

We'll check it out if others plan to! We're flying in so either bar hopping or depending on the kindness of strangers in joining a tailgate.

Gizmo Brew Works is pretty new, right on Franklin St. Can't say I have been there, but another decent pair of options are He's Not Here, about two blocks away, as well as Pantana Bob's. Younger crowd, but good outdoor seating, and I can attest it is much more college authentic. Gizmo sort of looks like the old Library, just newer.

Also, on Friday, I would check out The Carolina Inn, as they typically have live music and drinks. It is called Fridays on The Porch.

After the game, the more sophisticated should check out The Crunkleton, a members only drink place where 10 bucks gets you in, but great mixologist and a great selection of bourbon.

I will be in Chapel Hill for this one. Native Minnesotan and long-time sufferer of Gophers football. Went out of state for school, to include UNC, so this weekend i will be in Carolina blue, though it was a difficult decision. Next year, I will be back home and supporting the home Maroon and Gold.

Thanks for having me, and if you have any other questions, I can try to assist. Haven't been back to CH in about 5 years, but I try to stay abreast of what restaurant bars are doing.

We're getting in Thursday night & are headed to the 'Top Of the Hill' to watch the Vikings, drinks & dinner. Looks like a good spot for the Vikes game if anyone wants to check it out?

When the Heels aren't playing it isn't as sports bar like as you may hope. Definitely a great spot to chill out on the patio and overlook CH's main intersection. Probably one of the better meet up spots, but if I recall the tv's won't be in the patio area, so you will be up at the bar. Might I suggest Carolina Brewery if the goal is to meet up AND watch the game? Either way, not confident they will do sound, but never hurts to ask. I am looking to see about going to the Durham Bulls minor league baseball game and midway through leave and head into Tabacco Road sports bar that is just behind the left field wall.

Otherwise, if that is a no go, I would be game to meet up with some Gophers/Vikings to watch the game in CH!

Gizmo Brew Works is pretty new, right on Franklin St. Can't say I have been there, but another decent pair of options are He's Not Here, about two blocks away, as well as Pantana Bob's. Younger crowd, but good outdoor seating, and I can attest it is much more college authentic. Gizmo sort of looks like the old Library, just newer.

Also, on Friday, I would check out The Carolina Inn, as they typically have live music and drinks. It is called Fridays on The Porch.

After the game, the more sophisticated should check out The Crunkleton, a members only drink place where 10 bucks gets you in, but great mixologist and a great selection of bourbon.

I will be in Chapel Hill for this one. Native Minnesotan and long-time sufferer of Gophers football. Went out of state for school, to include UNC, so this weekend i will be in Carolina blue, though it was a difficult decision. Next year, I will be back home and supporting the home Maroon and Gold.

Thanks for having me, and if you have any other questions, I can try to assist. Haven't been back to CH in about 5 years, but I try to stay abreast of what restaurant bars are doing.
Appreciate the insight. Our group will include some kids (ages 12-16). Will they be allowed in the campus bars/brew pubs during the day? Or will we need to stick to tailgating and restaurants?

Ca
Appreciate the insight. Our group will include some kids (ages 12-16). Will they be allowed in the campus bars/brew pubs during the day? Or will we need to stick to tailgating and restaurants?
Carolina Brewery and Top Of The Hill are kid friendly. I believe Pantana's is as well, but may not be the best option for kids. Friday on the Porch at Carolina Inn is all ages. On gameday, the north entry to Kenan Satdium (near the Bell Tower) has Tar Heel Town, and that should be kid friendly, but obviously UNC-centric. If the kids want to meet the live mascot, a dorset horned sheep, it will be in the Bell Tower or Tar Heel Town area. I am not as versed in kid-friendly stuff. If you want a decent meal with the family, I would suggest Mama Dip's for down home, or for a novelty, Sutton's Drug, a soda fountain-style throwback. Both are in the heart of CH.

Unfortunately, many of the larger tailgate areas are lots, but on the west side of the stadium there is an area just outside of the stadium where I read they are now doing some events in the small forested area, and that is also where there is some tailgating in a better location, and most are friendly enough to hang out if you are extroverted enough to walk up to tailgates.
Also, if you are tailgating the lots near the basketball arena, see if the basketball museum is open next door. They do a good job showcasing the history of Carolina basketball.

Ca

Carolina Brewery and Top Of The Hill are kid friendly. I believe Pantana's is as well, but may not be the best option for kids. Friday on the Porch at Carolina Inn is all ages. On gameday, the north entry to Kenan Satdium (near the Bell Tower) has Tar Heel Town, and that should be kid friendly, but obviously UNC-centric. If the kids want to meet the live mascot, a dorset horned sheep, it will be in the Bell Tower or Tar Heel Town area. I am not as versed in kid-friendly stuff. If you want a decent meal with the family, I would suggest Mama Dip's for down home, or for a novelty, Sutton's Drug, a soda fountain-style throwback. Both are in the heart of CH.

Unfortunately, many of the larger tailgate areas are lots, but on the west side of the stadium there is an area just outside of the stadium where I read they are now doing some events in the small forested area, and that is also where there is some tailgating in a better location, and most are friendly enough to hang out if you are extroverted enough to walk up to tailgates.
Also, if you are tailgating the lots near the basketball arena, see if the basketball museum is open next door. They do a good job showcasing the history of Carolina basketball.
Thanks for the tips!

Sooooo… are gopher fans hanging out y gizmo or any of the multiple options Aztec threw out there?

Our crew will most likely stop in, but the plan is to hop around until we find the right place...whatever form that takes Friday night
Sorry for the inundation of options in this thread. I am sure Gizmo will be fine, I am just not familiar with that one as it is new and there are great options in town that I know about. Enjoy Chapel Hill, and hopefully i will see a healthy amount of Maroon and Gold in town.

Ski-U-Mah and Go Heels!

Ca

We will have some kids with us and plan to go to either Carolina Brewery or Top of the Hill for some pregame.

Last edited:

Sigh I've lost my ability to post attachments lol..

I'll be in a "uff-da, I could gopher a beer" t shirt... find me BEFORE the game for a nip of pure tn mtn dew

Top Bottom