Give me your pre-game festivities report

Inigo Montoya

Reaction score
Whether it be tailgating in the University owned lots, a private parking lot, a house party, one of the local bars, or a University sanctioned event.

What, if anything, would you do different prior to a game when the kickoff is anything other than an 11:00 am start?

Will your plans change for the Cal game with an 11:00 kickoff?

Did you go to more than one bar / restaurant before the game? Which provided the best atmosphere?

Sally's.....Enjoyed very much the parking lot scene. Got there at 3:00. Cold beer. Summits were $6. Miller and GB Premium were $5. Lots to look at. Crowd had nice mix of age. Music was great. Just the right volume. Classic rock mixed with some country and The Rouser on occasion. Met some really nice people. Headed to the game at about 5.
Not sure what I'm doing for the Cal game. My brother, who usually accompanies me, has to work. My wife isn't able to make it either. I will definitely be there.
Anyone with reviews of the other pregame places?

Good and bad

The lots around the stadium did eventually fill up but in the early afternoon they were close to empty. I know not everyone has the time to be out there so early, but it was one of the few night games on a beautiful day - for me that means maximum tailgating.

Got to the fair ground parking around 11:30 AM. They had the main parking lot blocked off, and it was confusing as to where to park. We waited until noon for the first shuttle. Shuttle service was airconditioned and fast! Got to the stadium and walked around....simply amazing. We ran into Joel Maturi outside the stadium on a golf cart, I gave him a high five. We then went to Goldy's locker room and got some bling. After this, we headed to Stub and Herbs. Beer was $6 and Bloody Mary's were $7, but there was a nice crowd around 2:00. Around 4:00 we headed to McNamara for the Gopher Walk. The day was perfect, so much maroon and gold pride.

Started at Stub and Herb's shortly after 11am, an ok crowd considering the game was 7 hours away. PBR for 3.50, I think a Miller/Bud/Coors Light was 4. After a couple beers, it was over to campus pizza for a few more and some pizza. The crowd at Campus Pizza wasn't too bad, but obviously all there for the game. 5 bucks for a tap of Grain Belt, or Miller Lite, then a chunk of next level up beers for 6. Then it was back to Stub and Herbs, probably about 2 or 2:30pm, and it was packed inside. A couple more beers, then over to the Alum Center for the Victory Walk, also very hopping, great to see. From there, it was back to Stub's, this time for the Beer Garden, very busy, but seemed well set up. Surly Beers for 6 bucks a pop.

Didn't make it to Sally's, likely will this weekend.

I have to admit that I was mildly disappointed by the early turnout in the Northstar lot but it did eventually start to liven up around 2:00 or so. The only thing different I'll be doing for the 11:00 kickoff is starting earlier.

I had a great time tailgating and everything, our group tends to go all out. But yeah people have to start getting into the spirit of things a little more. I realize it will take some time....I hope our community embraces the fact that a home game, especially a night game, should be an all day event if your schedules allow. The idea should not be to arrive half hour before the game and leave right away after, like most probably did at the dome. I was a little sad to see the Library beer tent completely empty at noon when we walked by.

The Library beer tent in their parking lot behind the bar was empty most of the day. If you're looking for a place to have some drinks before the game and want to avoid the crowds or can't get into the bars closer to TCF, head a few blocks to the Library. They had a hot dog stand outside and 2 big screen TVs with college football on. No loud music either so you can talk if you're into that.

Top Bottom