Give credit where credit is due

walleyeking

Reaction score
Why is there no love for Liedner? He played a fantastic game. Did he make some mistakes, yes. But he made ALOT of phenomenal plays and reads. I am just saying he deserves a pat on the back. Thank you Mitch for playing your heart out! Also thank you players and staff that was a hell of a game. That was a great experience at TCF. Next time the final out come will be different.

It was nice to see the coaches let him play. They let him throw and it worked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He was very good tonight, and he had to be in order for us to have a chance. MI was going to stuff the run from the word go. The staff clearly told Mitch there wouldn't be wide open receivers running around against a defense like that. You have to take some chances, throw to guys who are covered 1 - 1, and hope they make the play. Hopefully this is the beginning of more good things to come. Fingers crossed!

Why is there no love for Liedner? He played a fantastic game. Did he make some mistakes, yes. But he made ALOT of phenomenal plays and reads. I am just saying he deserves a pat on the back. Thank you Mitch for playing your heart out! Also thank you players and staff that was a hell of a game. That was a great experience at TCF. Next time the final out come will be different.

Ditto. A certain percentage of posters will never give Leidner any credit because it would require them to re-evaluate their conclusions and at least half of our countrymen aren't very capable of that. If he has a good game, their sentiments would be "The sun even shines on a dog's a$$ once in awhile."

As I see it, one of the primary stories of this season is that Leidner is developing into a pretty decent quarterback. He was given more freedom to throw than usual last night and the result was a new career high in passing yards. I'd say his biggest weakness going forward is that his eyes don't move quickly enough yet and he still misses easier targets while going for more difficult ones.

Another emerging story is the development of Lingen.

Great post. We could have gone fetal position at any number of points.

But what happened was the Gophs played toe-to-toe with a Top 20 team to the very end.

Mitch and the receivers were a huge part of that fact.

We're feeling the birthing pains of the post-Kill era of Golden Gophers Football.

I agree some passes he throws perfectly-- but the next pass he is way off or misses the wide open receiver (I think Wozniak in the 1st half had no one within 20 yards of him over the middle).

If his consistency would improve more people would feel comfortable with him. Also he had some decent runs last night which were nice to see

Mitch was awesome. 2 games in a row actually.

He played well had some nice zip on throws, had some risky decisions that panned out for him and had some luck that Michigan's DBs couldn't catch but overall a nice game from Leidner .

I think he looked as fast as he's been all year last night. He's not Boykin or anything but he did look a little bit faster than earlier in the season.

Great Post! Minnesota put up more points on offense than any team Michigan has played this year, including Michigan State. Mitch played great and gutsy. The guy has some serious stones and mental toughness. Also, great leadership. He left it all out there. It was a great game, great atmosphere. I like Claeys more aggressive mindset. Fun to watch, they played a great game against a great defense and great coach. Minnesota outgained MI by a wide margin, had more passing yards, more rushing yards, more time of possession, and 20 first downs. Really quite amazing to see considering how the offense has performed most of the season, especially against the #1 defense in the country. Crazy.

Because he's from a MN HS. Same treatment Weber got on this site.

Fantastic game - thats why I love college football - what an atmosphere!

Agreed. Leidner played a great game. Other than Northwestern (and perhaps Nebraska - although that was a 300-yard game), I think he has passed much better than last season.

Because he's from a MN HS. Same treatment Weber got on this site.

Maybe that's the reason, but that sounds pretty simplistic to me. I've lived in five states and I don't care where a player is from. My one knock on Webber is that he didn't improve as much as I expected during his career. When I watched him as a freshman I thought he had very good potential but the eventual reality was less than I thought it would be. Leidner is a different story. He started out with very little fan regard for his abilities and he has been developing into someone who is surpassing those expectations.

I thought Mitch Leidner played a pretty good game yesterday. Yesterday with the exception of a couple punts was the first time
I thought the Gophers played a complete game on both sides of the ball all year. Disappointing outcome no doubt, thought as well as the Gophers played they deserved to win the football game, but there is not such a thing as deserves to win in football. For whatever reason maybe not having one more time out or not clocking the ball after the reversal of the TD call and that letdown impacted the end of the game. I thought the Gophers finally played to their ability and talent level last night and could compete with anyone in the conference. Michigan had a really good defense and we put up some yards and scored some but they Michigan made one more play. Was nice to see the team compete all 60 minutes on both offense and defense, they didn't get rewarded for it but I thought the guys fought their butts off last night.

Go back and look at the board. There are more than a few people who seemingly never want the Gophers to successfully throw the ball. Not "manly" enough for them.

Top Bottom