GI: What happened to the decommitments in the PJ Fleck era at Minnesota?

pharmacygopher

114 Row 11
Reaction score
Interesting read.

Would have been nice to have kept some of those guys but shows PJ identifying talent early on. Hopefully now with more of an established track record here, MN continues to look like an attractive option. In another thread it was noted there have been fewer decommitments the past few years. Hopefully that continues.

Thanks for the article. Yes, interesting read. It's really a potpourri of results for the decommits.

Most people think of decommits as a decision by the player but really there are many where the decision was the Gophs. I'm guessing at least half of these were really the decision of MN and not some "loss" as the media would have portrayed it.

Lot of juco guys on the list. Interesting to see that we haven’t pursued nearly as many post portal, looks like we haven’t signed a juco player since 2019 unless I’m missing someone.

Lot of juco guys on the list. Interesting to see that we haven’t pursued nearly as many post portal, looks like we haven’t signed a juco player since 2019 unless I’m missing someone.
I know PJ when he came in said he wasn't a big JUCO proponent, so that makes sense. In the portal world I suppose it makes even more sense.

Note to Ryan Burns: Please use a spell check program and proofread before submitting articles! Getting through that was pretty brutal.

Yeah, the portal has really hurt JuCo in general. It sounds bad, but if you're a program looking for depth/talent, why not choose from the population of athletes with presumably less baggage who also have shown they can handle being at college/away from home.

Most people think of decommits as a decision by the player but really there are many where the decision was the Gophs. I'm guessing at least half of these were really the decision of MN and not some "loss" as the R
A lot of them were Minnesota's decision, but in fairness to Ryan he has to be careful how he words that. I am sure he depends on the staff for a lot of his recruiting information and it just doesn't benefit them at all to have "Minnesota pulled the offer" out there in print (or video/audio).

The OT that ended up at Florida could have been a really nice piece for us last year. The DE from Illinois (that ended up committing a crime and getting his offer pulled) was such a big get at the time and if he played to his recruiting ranking would have really helped as well. I am sure every program has its share of "what ifs?" but in the Gophers specific situation where we seem to be perpetually one game or even one play away from breaking in to a new tier of the college football hierarchy they seem to carry a little more weight than average.

Top Bottom