GH Reporting That Osenieks Will Sign Monday

well doesnt this mean that if cobbs isnt leaving that we dont have a scholarship for cory?

Yes - Oto expects to make the decision to be a Gopher tomorrow.

So GW, does this prep school have some really good kids (or kid) coming out in 2011? Just wondering if Tubby is maybe trying to lay some ground work for another player there, or possibly some other international kid. Thanks in advance.

well doesnt this mean that if cobbs isnt leaving that we dont have a scholarship for cory?

We have five open scholarships right now: Westbrook, Johnson, Bostick, Carter, and White. So far we've only signed 3 guys. We'll still have one open for Joseph.

This kid seems to have really flown under the radar. I saw he had an offer from Florida, which is always a good sign. I'm definitely intrigued by him - if he gets stronger, he could definitely pose some matchup problems.

Does anyone know if a decision has been made about whether Brust can sign with another big ten program without sitting out a year? I'm assuming Brust is the backup plan for Cory??? Although it sounds like he's more of a SG than a PG.

So GW, does this prep school have some really good kids (or kid) coming out in 2011? Just wondering if Tubby is maybe trying to lay some ground work for another player there, or possibly some other international kid. Thanks in advance.

Yes, and the Gophers have shown interest in 2011 guard Bruce Barron. Another 2011 Brehm guy getting plenty of interest from schools is Dre Henley (before the 2009-10 season, he played at De La Salle with Mike Shaw)... just by the nature of the school, if the bball program remains strong they will continue to bring in new talent, sometimes for only one to two years..

Brehm highlights, including vs. Findlay

If we sign Oto, I certainly hope he is better then our own Kevin Noreen.

MnHoops just tweeted Oto said he WILL sign tomorrow, I found Oto's twitter account and it looks like its true. Welcome to the Gopher family!

Oto already tweeted it, now Marcus said he received a message from Oto that he will sign at noon tomorrow.

Oto already tweeted it, now Marcus said he received a message from Oto that he will sign at noon tomorrow.

I like the signing personally. We get a legit 6-8 or 6-9 guy who can shoot the three pretty well. When was the last time we had a guy who could consistently knock a three down with that height? I dont remember off hand

I like the signing personally. We get a legit 6-8 or 6-9 guy who can shoot the three pretty well. When was the last time we had a guy who could consistently knock a three down with that height? I dont remember off hand

Rick Rickert.

BleedGopher- Do you just wait by the computer for Marcus to tweet something so you can post it?

Latvian Oto Osenieks commits to Gophers
Pioneer Press

Updated: 04/18/2010 08:10:14 PM CDT

The University of Minnesota men's basketball team has gone international again, this time with Latvian forward Oto Osenieks, who gave an oral commitment to the Gophers on Sunday.

Canadian center Maurice Walker signed on the first day of the late signing period last Wednesday. Osenieks, who was offered a scholarship by coach Tubby Smith during an official visit over the weekend, told the Pioneer Press he would sign his letter of intent with Minnesota at noon Monday.

"I liked it a lot," Osenieks said in an e-mail of his visit to Minnesota's campus. "I am signing tomorrow."

The 6-foot-9, 215-pound Osenieks moved to the U.S. last year and played his senior season at Brehm Prep in Carbondale, Ill. He is Smith's fourth recruit in the 2010 class, joining Walker, Nebraska center Elliott Eliason and Tennessee guard Austin Hollins.

Brehm Prep coach Aaron Lee told local Rivals.com and Scout.com that Osenieks was an excellent outside shooter and ball handler with the ability to play on the wing or in the post in the Big Ten Conference. He also considered Iowa State, Providence and Florida.

The Gophers still are looking for a point guard. Their top target, Cory Joseph of Findlay Prep in Las Vegas, brother of Minnesota sophomore and Canada native Devoe Joseph, is expected to announce his college decision this week.

http://www.twincities.com/gophers/ci_14910576?nclick_check=1

Go Gophers!!

Welcome to Minnesota Oto!

I have a feeling he could take a lot of crap for this video. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD8JskjjlzU

Osenieks_Oto.jpg

I thought you were kidding, but that looks like him... oh boy.

Pretty funny though.

Top Bottom