Game VS. Kansas next year

It has also been confirmed from some ND rag that we bumped their game for a national tv game. Whether its Kansas or not, there appears to be some smoke to this fire.

Now Sid's backtracking from what he first reported. Way to cover your hide! Can't say that I'm surprised?

"Kansas men's basketball coach Bill Self said at the recent first- and second-round NCAA tournament games here that the Gophers and Kansas were talking about a home-and-home series and there was a report out of Lawrence, Kan., that it was set. But KU senior associate athletic director Larry Keating said the schools have talked, but no agreement has yet been reached."

I have heard the story of KU playing in ND for Jeff Boschee back in the day. But do schools really do this? Schedule games based on one individual player's personal history or where they happen to grow up. Is this a Kansas thing?

I know that KU has done this at least one other time. Roy Williams scheduled a home-and-home series with University of Nevada-Reno because of David Padgett, a Reno native who played a year with the Jayhawks before transferring to Louisville. I think they played in Reno during Padgett's freshman season at Kansas, and hosted the Wolfpack in Lawrence the following season when Padgett was redshirting in Louisville. Come to think of it, isn't every year a redshirt year with the Cardinals?

I know that Billy Donvan does this for players that stay 4 years. I'm not sure he does it for 'every' 4 year player, but the high-end ones at least. For example, I know they played AT New Hampshire for Matt Bonner. Most of the guys on the championship teams didn't play 4 years so he hasn't had to do it much. Perhaps the Gophers would have gotten a game if Mike Miller had stayed 4 years since SDSU wasn't D I yet.

Now Sid's backtracking from what he first reported. Way to cover your hide! Can't say that I'm surprised?

"Kansas men's basketball coach Bill Self said at the recent first- and second-round NCAA tournament games here that the Gophers and Kansas were talking about a home-and-home series and there was a report out of Lawrence, Kan., that it was set. But KU senior associate athletic director Larry Keating said the schools have talked, but no agreement has yet been reached."

I still think this is going to happen. You know the KU or Minnesota athletic departments aren't going to confirm anything until every T is crossed. Perhaps they are still negotiating whether it will be a home-and-home or 'neutral' sites at the Target and Sprint Centers.

I've given up Sid bashing - at 89 he's getting a pass from me.

I have to say that I am surprised to learn from this board that student/players hometowns have any kind of effect on scheduling. I never would have guessed that, but several posters have noted credible examples. At first I thought that this was odd and dumb. But, I guess really it's kind of quaint and old-school. Cool that coaches could really arrange that as a spiff to a kid that's earned it for whatever reason.

KU would be a great oppourtunity no matter why it comes about - I hope it still can. On a more strategic basis though, while I get that the gophers should play some lower division neighbors, they should also over the long haul establish some templates for around half a dozen higher quality games.

The ACC challenge is a good template, but I think the Gophers ought to also look south (easy to do from MN) and west to initiate some informal rivalries. As the westernmost team in the conference, we'd have some natural affinities with a couple of good peer schools. Prime examples being Kansas, Mizoo and Colorado, I think both the Big 12 and the PAC 10 are similarly struggling for quality non-conf games. Other likely "partners" could be Arizona, Iowa State, UNLV, Utah, Cal, and Washington.

I'm not sure, but I think that there are a lot of informal non-conf rivalries among eastern schools No point trying to break in to that mess. We should get some of our own going to our south and west

I know there are some potential "L"s out there. But, it's worth risking Tubby's 20 win streak to build a better team and watch some better games.

Aldrich has announced he is staying at Kansas for next year. Hopefully that will help the Gophers finalize a game with Kansas. Keep your fingers crossed.

Kansas has a history of scheduling games at the hometowns of players but Bill Self really hasn't kept that going. Roy is really big on it. I think this potential series has more to do with the coaches. Self and Tubby did a home and home with KU and UK. Also, I'm sure Maturi and Perkins did some talking at the Insight Bowl.

Top Bottom