Game notes from Nebraska

I’m surprised we’ve played 60 times. Maybe that’s just because I’m only 30.

Well, I'm 63 — and I was surprised (shocked, even) that Minnesota leads the series 32-25-2. It seemed (to someone my age, at least) that Nebraska was great for decades and decades, while we were mediocre.

Well, I'm 63 — and I was surprised (shocked, even) that Minnesota leads the series 32-25-2. It seemed (to someone my age, at least) that Nebraska was great for decades and decades, while we were mediocre.

Except for a few years in the stone age, Nebraska was pretty average until the Devaney/Osborne/Solich era (1962-2003) where they compiled an overall national 82% winning record. Up until 1960, Minnesota lead the series 29-6-2. Minnesota won every game played every year throughout the 1940's. Nebraska won all 16 games played from 1963-2012 by an average score of 39-8.

Except for a few years in the stone age, Nebraska was pretty average until the Devaney/Osborne/Solich era (1962-2003) where they compiled an overall national 82% winning record. Up until 1960, Minnesota lead the series 29-6-2. Minnesota won every game played every year throughout the 1940's. Nebraska won all 16 games played from 1963-2012 by an average score of 39-8.

That's an 82% winning percentage maintained over 41 years. Included in that run: 5 National Championships (1970, 1971, 1994, 1995, 1997).

Amazing!

I hope that's where Minnesota is headed now.

Bierman had a great record against them, 12-3. His big win, 61-7, in 1945 at Lincoln, when Dr. Tom was a teenager, may have contributed to the saintly Dr. piling on 84 points against the Gophers in 1983. Two years before Bierman's big win, in 1943, a wartime interim coach led the Gophers to a 54-0 win over Nebraska. That must have stung Osborne, too.

I like this chart from the OP's link. The two offenses are pretty close but I underestimated the Gophs defense in comparison.

8808ac46afa6595bb8714fb6f338a0a6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

That QB from Robbinsdale started it all, Dennis Claridge.

I’m surprised we’ve played 60 times. Maybe that’s just because I’m only 30.
Not only that, but a note says "Nebraska has played Minnesota more than any other opponents.." on page 3. Can that be right? Or maybe they just missed a qualifier word.

I like this chart from the OP's link. The two offenses are pretty close but I underestimated the Gophs defense in comparison.
8808ac46afa6595bb8714fb6f338a0a6.jpg

How are we 15th in conference in passing offense?

A bit disappointed the OP's link doesn't mention the $5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy.

How are we 15th in conference in passing offense?

Doesn’t make sense to me at all. There are 14 teams, and there’s no way in hell we’re behind Rutgers. I mean those are the two most obvious disqualifications right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not only that, but a note says "Nebraska has played Minnesota more than any other opponents.." on page 3. Can that be right? Or maybe they just missed a qualifier word.

I did a cursory search on winsipedia yesterday and I believe it was meant to say played Minnesota more than any B1G opponent.

Top Bottom