Game 7: Gophers Host Norfolk State (11-29-23)

Nice win over a team that will win a lot of games this year. This team is steadily improving and is going to surprise some B10 teams come conference play. On to Drake, that game should be a good one.

Good win, other than Braun having another off night, little to complain about. Really expected this to be a much closer game than it was.

We need Sanders, Holloway, Czinano or maybe even Johnson to develop as regular rotation players (or at least two of them). Sanders seems to be the closest to developing a little harder edge to her game. Things become a little dicey when the starters hit the bench.

If Hart has a counter move, its time to break it out.

I continue to like how Plitzuweit controls the pace of play

We need Sanders, Holloway, Czinano or maybe even Johnson to develop as regular rotation players (or at least two of them). Sanders seems to be the closest to developing a little harder edge to her game. Things become a little dicey when the starters hit the bench.

Sanders needs to become a passer seems like she get tunnel vison a lot..

tonight she missed a couple open players and rather drove again 2 or 3 players.. and turned it over..

but agree someone off the bench needs to help the starts with the scoring load..

Peaking ahead, the Drake game is interesting because they're an "at the threshold NCAA tournament" team. As a lower tournament seed last season, they nearly beat Louisville. This year they're looking maybe not quite as good but currently being projected as a threshold team.

Also looking ahead, I remember what Maryland's Brenda Frese said the other day about an opponent coming in waves, meaning strong performers off the bench, and how hard it is to match that.

Yes, my observation as well... Norfolk was sneaky good and our starters were able to dominate or respond to Norfolk runs. But, the bench has shortened and with the little better competition the bench looks suspect.

I expected Sanders to play smarter...she is gritty but makes a lot of poor or questionable decisions.
Holloway cannot play behind the big girl posts on defense. Johnson has the athleticism to help but is just so raw, so inexperienced and mostly lost on both ends.
Czinano seems to have a chance to help but to beat Big Ten teams the first five will have to play well and play a lot of minutes.

The style of Drake will be interesting to see how we matchup. I wouldn't think we can keep up for 40 minutes. Braun can't have a 10 or 15 point night for us to score enough points, I wouldn't think.

Battle is looking way more confident. She is making herself a threat to the defense. If the real Grace is a 33% or better three point shooter that will be huge. Heyer just seems to make plays
and that consistency is indispensable.

Fun to see them play defense, rebound and compete. Coach P seems like the real deal.

Overall the team is really executing on defense. I see great help and rotations, nice effort, denying the post, playing the passing lanes, trapping the screens. I am very impressed with the improvement. The ladies are developing. That is all you can ask for.
Not surprising at all. This coaching staff won't rest on this 30 point win. They are always looking to see what they can do better and will have the Gophers as prepared as possible for a challenging B1G season.

Coach P has this team looking completely different than last years in just a few months of work. I am eager to see how they perform against Drake. Do they have anyone to match up against Hart?

Coach P has this team looking completely different than last years in just a few months of work. I am eager to see how they perform against Drake. Do they have anyone to match up against Hart?
Anna Miller who is 6'3.. but Drake plays 5 out for the most part. So I wouldn't be shocked to see maybe a bit more Nia on Saturday then Sophie. Maybe play Mal at the 5 a bit

Sanders needs to become a passer seems like she get tunnel vison a lot..

tonight she missed a couple open players and rather drove again 2 or 3 players.. and turned it over..

but agree someone off the bench needs to help the starts with the scoring load..

I'm thinking that Plitzuweit wants Sanders to attack the basket (since it's generally the first thing she does). Whether they want her to pass or score I haven't decided. I do think they want her to go harder around the screens to create space.

I'm thinking that Plitzuweit wants Sanders to attack the basket (since it's generally the first thing she does). Whether they want her to pass or score I haven't decided. I do think they want her to go harder around the screens to create space.
I guess but she usually gets stuck because the defense collapses on her but she doesn't look to kick out or anything she tries to go through 2-3 players.. like at the end of the first quarter last night came in with 1:08 left.. and she turns it over right away.. just feel like she isn't helping the offense much right now and in fact just looks for her offense.. kind of reminds me of AP from the Lynx.

I like what I'm seeing so far this season. The defense has been much better, continuing to improve. Hart seems to be integrating well into the offense...and she'll kick it out to an open teammate if she can't get a shot. Battle already showing that she is an improved player. Nice to see that the team can still cover for Braun when she has an off shooting night. Braun playing much better D than last year. Heyer really a nice all-around player. I especially like the way she rebounds. GG not playing like a first year player; has a good feel for the game and gives the Gophers another 3-point threat. As others have pointed out, the Gophers will need contributions from the bench. I don't expect much scoring from the bench players, but I am hoping they're able to play good D and provide some hustle plays that can lead to points on the offensive end. I like the fact that Sanders will go to the hoop, but as others have said, she'll need to do a better job of distributing when she is double- or triple-teamed.

Attended the St. Thomas vs. Iowa State game last night. Cyclones scored at will against the Tommies.
Left the game at the end of third quarter, Tommies were down by like 40 points. Tommies offense was two guards bombing ill advised shots that did not sniff the basket. Cyclones height advantage was also apparent.

It's news.

Grace Grocholski's 26 points were the most by a Big Ten freshman this season.

Boom! 5-8 on shotting 3's.

She'll be holding that position for four years, from game one of her freshman season. Fire away.

View attachment 28628

Hoping this garners the first of many B1G Freshman of the Week honors for GG!

I like what I'm seeing so far this season. The defense has been much better, continuing to improve. Hart seems to be integrating well into the offense...and she'll kick it out to an open teammate if she can't get a shot. Battle already showing that she is an improved player. Nice to see that the team can still cover for Braun when she has an off shooting night. Braun playing much better D than last year. Heyer really a nice all-around player. I especially like the way she rebounds. GG not playing like a first year player; has a good feel for the game and gives the Gophers another 3-point threat. As others have pointed out, the Gophers will need contributions from the bench. I don't expect much scoring from the bench players, but I am hoping they're able to play good D and provide some hustle plays that can lead to points on the offensive end. I like the fact that Sanders will go to the hoop, but as others have said, she'll need to do a better job of distributing when she is double- or triple-teamed.
Good summary. Sanders is interesting. Seems to me she palms the ball virtually every dribbling possession.

What I recall is they will have people who can guard her but won't have Sophie's size. They will help on her and go for the ball. If a person dribbles in the lane, help will attack them. They play a lot of people ànd play with pace which also wears on bigs like Sophie.

Anna Miller who is 6'3.. but Drake plays 5 out for the most part. So I wouldn't be shocked to see maybe a bit more Nia on Saturday then Sophie. Maybe play Mal at the 5 a bit
I disagree, I think we play our game plan. If they are playing five out, maybe their post is not as good coming inside to defend. And Sophie has shown huge improvement on moving to defend outside and to adjust to the switches.

I disagree, I think we play our game plan. If they are playing five out, maybe their post is not as good coming inside to defend. And Sophie has shown huge improvement on moving to defend outside and to adjust to the switches.
I agree with your comment on Sophie's improvement. It will be interesting to see how she handles this matchup. I do think that this is a better matchup for Nia as Norfolk bigs had girth on her. My thought is Nia will get more minutes which will allow others to rest. I think Nia is our best reserve so far this season.

I agree with your comment on Sophie's improvement. It will be interesting to see how she handles this matchup. I do think that this is a better matchup for Nia as Norfolk bigs had girth on her. My thought is Nia will get more minutes which will allow others to rest. I think Nia is our best reserve so far this season.
I think Nia has the most immediate upside, potential, room to grow to help this season for certain. I'd put Czinano in the conversation as well. They are pretty different in what they do, the positions they play or how they go about it. One steady, with more experience and probably not going to improve a ton. The other in Nia just getting comfortable playing basketball again period after her injury, in addition to carving out a role on the team with a new coach. Nia is probably the most athletic player on the team offering some length and maybe the most quickness.
Excited to see the continued progress of everybody and the team....I think there will be an upward curve.

I think Nia has the most immediate upside, potential, room to grow to help this season for certain. I'd put Czinano in the conversation as well. They are pretty different in what they do, the positions they play or how they go about it. One steady, with more experience and probably not going to improve a ton. The other in Nia just getting comfortable playing basketball again period after her injury, in addition to carving out a role on the team with a new coach. Nia is probably the most athletic player on the team offering some length and maybe the most quickness.
Excited to see the continued progress of everybody and the team....I think there will be an upward curve.
Well said. It is great to expect and see improvement in the team. Makes me happily look forward to the rest of the season. Great job ladies. Keep up the good play.

Top Bottom