Game 10: Gophers Host UC Davis (12-15-19)

Watching the game one had to wonder about their energy level. Seemed like we just played well enough to stay with them. Glad to see it was more due to several players fighting illnesses. I believe that Pitts had a double-double. The scoreboard showed 9 and she rebounded and was fouled. But the 10 never went on the board.

I know Whalen said on the radio post game.. that a couple players were fighting colds or have a cold right now. so that could explain the lack of energy.. I know when I'm sick or fighting a cold I don't have much.. so guessing playing basketball with a cold, can't be easy..

I think Destiny got credited with all her rebounds. According to the play-by-play here are Destiny's rebounds by quarter:

1st: 7:34 Minutes remaining
1st: 4:54
1st: 2:24

2nd: 9:54
2nd: 5:01
2nd: :01

3rd: 6:57

4th: 1:33
4th: :13 after which Destiny was fouled by Trpcic and made two free throws.

The game ended with Hubbard grabbing a rebound and getting fouled with :03 remaining.
So they had it wrong on the scoreboard for some time as it showed 9 prior to the last rebound noted above. I keep score on my own and I did have her down for 10, so there must have been one I thought she got credited to someone else.

impressive Scaila had the best.. as she only scored 2 points today. The other thing that caught my eye was that Powell closed out the game rather than Brunson (wonder if JB is one of the players fighting off a cold) her second straight game without a point..
I think Powell closing out the game was deliberate and especially makes sense against a team like UC Davis that is fouling us a lot.

I noticed from the year-to-date stats that Powell is three times more likely to get shooting-fouled than Brunson (about twice as many free throws in 2/3 the minutes) and so it makes sense to play that card against a foul-prone team.

Looks like this is going to be a very good free throw shooting team. They should be able to hold on to leads late in games. Also nice to know that Whalen doesn't have to sit T. Bello late in games, as she also has become a good FT shooter.

Top Bottom