Gable Steveson back at the U?

He is one of the greats of NCAA wrestling.

Below are recent news links on Steveson for context:

He may need a reboot in pro wrestling.

His prior profile at Gopher Sports:

Leave your shoes on the mat, you shouldn’t get to “oh oops, JK!”

This whole saga is weird. He's the GOAT, but doesn't he want to move on?

Wild guess: there’s no money or glory in being an Olympic champion in wrestling. Less people care about it in this country than even college wrestling.

The obvious path is to try to be another Kurt Angle. And guessing it is not working out (have no idea, I don’t watch that).

A next move is to win another NCAA tournament. He just beat the best in the USA. That will add to his resume. And then some kind of pro reboot. If nothing else, he continues his career in a direction where he has an achieve-big move, the NCAA.

Already did that. Literally nothing left to prove in the NCAA … unless he were to try to do a thing like in that movie (can’t recall the name, think it was the 80’s) where that kid drops a weight class to take on a career undefeated kid and beats him. But he (Gabe) is way too thick and would never make it down to whatever is under HWT.

Hence why he left his shoes on the mat!!

Would be a joke to come back to college again anyway. There’s no one in college that can even come close to beating him.

The two other best guys in the world (in freestyle) he beat them in the last Olympics I believe.

I guess he could try Greco.

If WWE isn’t working, I’d give MMA a shot.

I don’t know how many wrestlers they like taking in and promoting, because the grappling/holds part of that sport is boring AF to watch. But I have no idea

Maybe he could go with tag team, he and a glamorous wrestler of a contrasting style. Do a skit, he has to come in and bail out high flying but a little soft partner.

Anyway, his pro path is a dead end. Backup, chalk up another NCAA win, and then reboot pro.

What would another NCAA title, facing literally nobody who can touch him, actually do? It’s not like it’s a high viewership sport. The championships probably don’t get a fraction of viewership of WWE.

Maybe he can get a nice NIL deal with CK or some other brand?

That’s about the only way I can possibly see him “cashing in” on another NCAA title. Not like he’s going to lead them to a team title.

What would another NCAA title, facing literally nobody who can touch him, actually do? It’s not like it’s a high viewership sport. The championships probably don’t get a fraction of viewership of WWE.

Maybe he can get a nice NIL deal with CK or some other brand?

That’s about the only way I can possibly see him “cashing in” on another NCAA title. Not like he’s going to lead them to a team title.

Good points. Doesn't accomplish much unless it gives him a reboot/redo opportunity to reband for pro wrestling. It would be a do over.

If so, fine.

But why would that be true?? I would think Olympics would be vastly more recognizable than NCAA champ??

And if that’s not true …… then what about, you know, the NCAA championships he already has??

If so, fine.

But why would that be true?? I would think Olympics would be vastly more recognizable than NCAA champ??

And if that’s not true …… then what about, you know, the NCAA championships he already has??

I think the calculus would be that now he is the gold medal winner at the Olympics but odds against pulling that off again. USA just isn't that kind of power at the Olympics. He withdrew for a reason. Romp here in the states buy risk international. I am just looking at what has been said and done to make sense of it. I am guessing.

This is just getting sad now. How does he still have his amateur status? Only of matter of time until the NCAA gets involved.

Top Bottom