Gaard podcast with Matt Simon

swingman

Reaction score

first 30 minutes or so are about Covid practice difficulties, Simon and his career path, PJ

at end, some limited, vague talk about team

Gaard asked about CAB: great leader
Gaard asked about Daniel Jackson: did a good job under difficult circumstances last year, excited about him taking next step
Gaard asked about Sanford: also had a tough situation due to Covid and everything else, feel much better about where offense is from a year ago

no surprise. Hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil.

That is not a knock on Simon. Just a statement that any coach speaking in that type of format is going to toe the party line and be as positive as possible while not giving away any secrets.

If Simon actually thought that Sanford was a bozo, he definitely is not going to admit that to a media person.

But it would be fascinating to be a fly on the wall and hear what the coaches were actually saying to each other last year.

It is too bad Mike Ciarrocca exited the Gophers coaching staff when he did. Matt Simon was a great understudy under Ciarrocca. He could have benefited greatly by spending more time under his tutelage.

The Gophers RPO under Ciarrocca was a thing of beauty.

I don't know how this co-offensive coordinatorship is going to work. Losing all the experienced players like AWJr and company, Rashod Bateman, and others opting out during the pandemic was a tough rodeo for the Gophers. We have been unable to see Sanford's Offense on full display.

There is optimism as well as trepidation for this coming season. Big pluses on paper are the most experienced offensive line that Tanner Morgan will be operating behind. On the defensive side, the Gopher benefited greatly from the Transfer Portal.

Everyone else in the Big Ten West showed improvements.

In the intro it says "From Learfield IMG College"

Who names their sports media conglomerate a 'college' when it isn't a college?

Wtf?

Fun story about meeting PJ in there.

In the intro it says "From Learfield IMG College"

Who names their sports media conglomerate a 'college' when it isn't a college?

Wtf?

Fun story about meeting PJ in there.

It's just a brand differentiator since Learfield IMG likely does professional sports as well.

It's just a brand differentiator since Learfield IMG likely does professional sports as well.

I dug a little further and it looks like Learfield actually does live shows and events, so that's probably the brand differentiator.

I must be getting old as the brands that sell me stuff seem more and more disconnected from the thing that I ... want to consume.

Like "From Learfield IMG College" ... I have no connection to. I don't associate it with the U or even college football. It's just this rando brand name that gets thrown at me. I'm aware of the Learfield brand for sure, but it's just this umbrella thing that could mean anything to me... I know it's the same thing in Ohio, or any other state. IMG, that's just rando in there / wonky.

Some old stuff like the old FSN ... at least had north in the name, had a lot of content that felt more on point with regional sports.

Coke, I get what that brand is and I think of a coke. Pepsi, yup, a pizza place, I get it. But Dominoes doesn't advertise it's parent company ownership (Bain Capital Inc.) ...because that would be kinda dumb.

I feel like a lot of company's branding is like 8 layers removed now.

Top Bottom