FYI - Some More Info On Trevor's Case

Tater

f.k.a. "Tubtastic"
Reaction score
I did a bit of searching around on the Miami-Dade County Court website and was able to gather some additional information on Trevor's case (Go to http://www2.miami-dadeclerk.com/cjis/CaseSearch.aspx to pull up Trevor's case). There's a good amount of information, so please forgive the long post. According to the Court website:

[1] His next hearing is 8/26/09 at 9am (Hearing Type "R" -- I'm trying to figure out what that means);
[2] He is being prosecuted for felony battery/aggravated assault and his defense attorney is Gregory A. Samms (see http://www.gregsamms.com/);
[3] The case's docket report has some interesting tid bits. [a] It appears that a $5,000 bail was posted and recieved on 4/28/09 and 4/29/09 (Doc #3, 4). On 5/5/09, the docket report suggests that Samms made a demand for discovery (that is, requested certain information about the case from the opposing party) (Doc #9) and entered a written "not guilty" plea (Doc #11). [c] The information (that is, the formal criminal charge by the prosecutor (no grand jury)) was filed on 5/19/09 (Doc #15). [d] The 8/26/09 hearing is supposedly related to a "Report Re: Plea/Sounding"--whatever that means (See Doc #18). A "Trial Hearing" is scheduled for 9/8/09 at 9am (Doc #19). [e] The trial prosecutor is Randi Franz (different from the charging prosecutor) (Doc #25).

[f] Here's were it gets interesting. The State (prosecution) supposedly made a demand for defendant discovery/demand for an alibi (Doc #21). Evidently the State is seeking factual information about Trevor's defense, which is typically sought and divulged in civil litigation (my background) although I'm not sure how much information is normally exchanged between the parties in criminal cases. [g] Also, Samms filed a motion to compel -- a procedural tool used to force the opposite party to share certain information that it is supposedly not sharing (Doc #29). It appears that the Court granted Samms motion -- if true, an early victory for Trevor (although it is tough to know how significant this victory is without seeing the actual motion and order granting the motion) (Doc #33). [h] Finally, it appears that two individuals (maybe witnesses? - not actual witnesses to the crime but trial witnesses) have been summoned for trial on 9/8/09 (Docs # 35, 36).

Bad news - It appears that the State is going forward despite some information that suggests it has been informed of Trevor's likely defense (meaning the State thinks it can get a conviction despite Trevor's likely defense).

Good news - It appears that Samms has been actively defending this case and has won at least one motion before the court.

Disclaimer - I have not read any of the actual docket documents--they are not available online. I'm basing the above information on my legal education and filling in some educated guesses as to the significance of each docket entry. The only way to really know what is going on is to actually get the docket documents (information, motion, plea, court order, summons, etc.) That being said, documents are usually publically available and supposedly can be inspected/copied at the courthouse according to the court website. Anyone in Miami want to make a field trip and give us some more detailed information?

my personal suggestion: proceed with caution on this type of stuff people

right, wrong or otherwise i really don't believe that this site is a place where we should be disseminating trevor's court files (public or otherwise).

please don't get me wrong. while this update on his case is appreciated this just seems like a slippery slope to start heading down and perhaps an unfair one to him. i understand certain documents are considered "public" information, but i would hope we can let his trial proceed without putting perhaps undue spotlight on each and aspect of it.

just my two cents. carry on.

right, wrong or otherwise i really don't believe that this site is a place where we should be disseminating trevor's court files (public or otherwise).

please don't get me wrong. while this update on his case is appreciated this just seems like a slippery slope to start heading down and perhaps an unfair one to him. i understand certain documents are considered "public" information, but i would hope we can let his trial proceed without putting perhaps undue spotlight on each and aspect of it.

just my two cents. carry on.

A slippery slope toward what?

A slippery slope toward what?

please! oh i don't know......like spreading unsubstantiated rumors about a pending court case that none of us are really able to 100% verify or properly filter. doing that is nothing but tabloid-like fodder. if you want to participate on that level then go right ahead. i am just suggesting that we don't.

please! oh i don't know......like spreading unsubstantiated rumors about a pending court case that none of us are really able to 100% verify or properly filter. doing that is nothing but tabloid-like fodder. if you want to participate on that level then go right ahead. i am just suggesting that we don't.

Huh?

Gathering facts of a court case would lead to the spread of unsubstantiated rumors about a pending court case?

Frankly, I'd much rather see this than some of the 'oooooh, Trevor is in trouble,' gossip from earlier this summer.

Having lived through three major gopher scandals I'm far more concerned about who posted bail for Trevor than whether or not he ever plays for the U.

(No, I have no direct or indirect knowledge of the case and I'm not assuming that anyone connected to the U posted bail, but it is always important to follow the money.)

"Spreading unsubstantiated rumors" - how is this thread spreading anything unsubstantiated? Tubtastic merely posted public information from a government website and offered his legal opinion with the clear disclaimer that he has not seen the entire file of docs. Quit being such a tool Bronko.

"Spreading unsubstantiated rumors" - how is this thread spreading anything unsubstantiated? Tubtastic merely posted public information from a government website and offered his legal opinion with the clear disclaimer that he has not seen the entire file of docs. Quit being such a tool Bronko.

i should have better clarified my statement and said: "like having the potential to spread unsubstantiated rumors". that kind of stuff happens all of the time on these types of internet message boards.

also, how is merely a suggestion of a "cautious approach" when it comes to posting this type of info and trying to look out for someone so they are not either intentionally or unintentionally "dragged through the mud" on a message board "being a tool"? i have a few choice words for you, but i am not going to go there. :rolleyes:

i should have better clarified my statement and said: "like having the potential to spread unsubstantiated rumors". that kind of stuff happens all of the time on these types of internet message boards.

also, how is merely a suggestion of a "cautious approach" when it comes to posting this type of info and trying to look out for someone so they are not either intentionally or unintentionally "dragged through the mud" on a message board "being a tool"? i have a few choice words for you, but i am not going to go there. :rolleyes:

Thanks Dad!

Having lived through three major gopher scandals I'm far more concerned about who posted bail for Trevor than whether or not he ever plays for the U.

(No, I have no direct or indirect knowledge of the case and I'm not assuming that anyone connected to the U posted bail, but it is always important to follow the money.)

this is exactly the kind of rumor mill "junk speculation" that i am talking about. basically, you are stating in a round about, kind of backhanded, way that you don't think trevor or his family have the ability to post his bond (which is not that much) yet you likely don't even know trevor or his family personally. i guess i don't understand the point of it.

great stuff tubtastic. posts like this why i love gh.

A couple issues:
[1] Typically bail bondsmen charge 10% of the bond amount to cover the bond (here only $500);
[2] Bronko - I hear your concerns. The key here is that the court docket, information, plea, motions, orders, and the trial for that matter are all publically available. You or I or a reporter could attend any on these hearings and access and read any of these documents (in fact, for a nominal fee a reporter should have actually been able to get a copy of the entire file but the media seems not to be as interested in the procedural hubbub leading up to Trevor's case).

this is exactly the kind of rumor mill "junk speculation" that i am talking about. basically, you are stating in a round about, kind of backhanded, way that you don't think trevor or his family have the ability to post his bond (which is not that much) yet you likely don't even know trevor or his family personally. i guess i don't understand the point of it.

The point of it is that this program and this university have been burned three times in the last 35 years and if it happens again the NCAA would likely issue the death penalty. Therefore, extra precautions need to be taken and Maturi's supposed lack of knowledge about the situation is disturbing. This does not presume Trevor's guilt or innocence. It does presume that a lack of full disclosure internally is problematic and a potential indicator of the dreaded "lack of institutional control".

The point of it is that this program and this university have been burned three times in the last 35 years and if it happens again the NCAA would likely issue the death penalty. Therefore, extra precautions need to be taken and Maturi's supposed lack of knowledge about the situation is disturbing. This does not presume Trevor's guilt or innocence. It does presume that a lack of full disclosure internally is problematic and a potential indicator of the dreaded "lack of institutional control".

Nonsense about Maturi not knowing about the situation - his public comments were guarded (as they should be) but he is aware of the situation.

Let the justice system play out.

There is a big difference between a kid getting arrested and an academic scandal. I would be absolutely shocked if a booster or someone connected with the program were stupid enough to post bail.

I have no personal experience with it, but I think bail bonds are essentially loans or guarantees for bail that you pay a bail bondsman a fee for, so even if Trevor or his family did not have $5k sitting around there are ways to post bail for less than the full cost.

This situation is weird to me. The vibe I get from the U and around here is that he will not be convicted. The actions of the prosecutor seem to indicate they think there is a case.

What makes me nervous is that young african americans (and other minorities) in big cities are often "guilty until proven innocent" in the eyes of prosecutors and judges. I've seen it in North Minneapolis and Miami is probably no different. Rather than actually investigating whether Trevor was actually the guy, the prosecutor instead assumes it was Trevor unless he can come up with a solid alibi.

That said, if he did it he should pay the piper.

Nonsense about Maturi not knowing about the situation - his public comments were guarded (as they should be) but he is aware of the situation.

That's good that Maturi knew about the situation. His public comments came off as more ignorant than guarded.

There is a big difference between a kid getting arrested and an academic scandal. I would be absolutely shocked if a booster or someone connected with the program were stupid enough to post bail.

I have no personal experience with it, but I think bail bonds are essentially loans or guarantees for bail that you pay a bail bondsman a fee for, so even if Trevor or his family did not have $5k sitting around there are ways to post bail for less than the full cost.

This situation is weird to me. The vibe I get from the U and around here is that he will not be convicted. The actions of the prosecutor seem to indicate they think there is a case.

What makes me nervous is that young african americans (and other minorities) in big cities are often "guilty until proven innocent" in the eyes of prosecutors and judges. I've seen it in North Minneapolis and Miami is probably no different. Rather than actually investigating whether Trevor was actually the guy, the prosecutor instead assumes it was Trevor unless he can come up with a solid alibi.

That said, if he did it he should pay the piper.

I agree with you about the interface between young African American males and the judicial system.

My primary point is that no one from the U, including its representatives and boosters, should be involved in this case. That includes posting bail, paying legal fees or any other form of support.

My primary point is that no one from the U, including its representatives and boosters, should be involved in this case. That includes posting bail, paying legal fees or any other form of support.[/QUOTE]

Really? Wow, no @#$#%!*&.

It's $500 freaking dollars. Probably cost him more to fly home from Miami. Quit being a richard. You really think some "booster" gave them $500 to get him out. This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this board...3 times.

I know of one member of Maturi's inner circle that knew absolutely nothing about any of it.

The death penalty shouldn't even be included in the discussion. The NCAA is too freaked out to ever use it again on a prominent D-1 school after what happened to SMU football.

So, being a Gopher Booster, you're saying I shouldn't have posted his bail? shucks....

Balderdash. Utter hogwash. Poppycock. Baloney. BS.

Choose the word(s) you prefer.

Hmmm, Facts34 vs. FOT. Let's see, Facts knew about the Trevor allegations a few weeks before the media and presumably before Maturi and guys on Trevors team which proved to be true. Whereas FOT claimed to that Esposito told him that the home schedule would be better in 2009-10 which proved to be false.facts34 with a KO in the first round.

My primary point is that no one from the U, including its representatives and boosters, should be involved in this case. That includes posting bail, paying legal fees or any other form of support.

It's $500 freaking dollars. Probably cost him more to fly home from Miami. Quit being a richard. You really think some "booster" gave them $500 to get him out. This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this board...3 times.[/QUOTE]

Three times? If it was so "dumb" why did you reading the posts? Do you think that bail is the only cost associated with this case.

I don't want the school or the b-ball program in trouble. That's the bottom line.

Balderdash. Utter hogwash. Poppycock. Baloney. BS.

Choose the word(s) you prefer.

I have no idea what Maturi knew or didn't know and when. But for whatever it's worth, in mid-July, one associate AD knew zero about Trevor's situation, which I don't find particularly outrageous nor does it necessarily speak to the timeline of Maturi's knowledge.

I'm referring to one senior member of the athletic department. Would your pal FRIEND OF ASSOCIATE AD like to refute that?

How the hell would you know what one particular associate AD - you have no idea which one I'm referring to - knew and when? You don't.

It's $500 freaking dollars. Probably cost him more to fly home from Miami. Quit being a richard. You really think some "booster" gave them $500 to get him out. This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this board...3 times.

Three times? If it was so "dumb" why did you reading the posts? Do you think that bail is the only cost associated with this case.

I don't want the school or the b-ball program in trouble. That's the bottom line.[/QUOTE]

great to know that. none of us do. but, again i don't really understand your concern for that and what in the world it has to do with trevor, his case, or him/his family posting a measly $500 bail.

you are way out in the deep end in some of this "speculation" and forgot your water-wings buddy.

Top Bottom