Fundraising done

DiehardGopher

Reaction score
GI is reporting a $6 million donation that pushes us past the Universities commitment to fundraising for the stadium.

Nice. Time to start raising money for the basketball practice facility and a new baseball stadium???

Great news, I wonder who gave the 6 mill?

ok, so i'm wondering

i was having a conversation about the stadium with a friend of mine. he said that there was really no stadium talk, or not of any significance, until sanford made the news for "donating" X-amount of dollars to the stadium for naming rights. does anyone remember the chain of events? i thought the stadium had already passed legislature. what was his donation amount compared to the tcf gift? do we owe a debt of gratitude to sandford for getting the ball rolling, so to speak?

i was having a conversation about the stadium with a friend of mine. he said that there was really no stadium talk, or not of any significance, until sanford made the news for "donating" X-amount of dollars to the stadium for naming rights. does anyone remember the chain of events? i thought the stadium had already passed legislature. what was his donation amount compared to the tcf gift? do we owe a debt of gratitude to sandford for getting the ball rolling, so to speak?

It was 35MM too, but he didn't want to pay it up front. He was kind of a phantom giver. I think there were other instances of him saying.. if you do Y I will give X. Where Y wasn't always possible.

If I remember right, at the time we were looking at about a $90-$100MM stadium.

You never know, the donation could have came from him.

The funny thing is he could have paid for the stadium 100% and had it named for him. He donated $400MM to the Sioux Valley Hospital System. He is a multibillionaire looking to die broke.

Wow! Just saw this one, very cool to see the Gophers pushed over that final part...thank you to whoever it was! :clap:

Sigh, on to fund raising for the basketball practice facility and the baseball stadium...at least those will seem like a drop in the bucket compared to TCF Bank Stadium.

Great news, but I'm pretty sure the U will keep fundraising for the stadium. The $288mil mark does not include the hall of fame and a couple of other rooms inside the building - I'm sure they'd like to have that finished if possible. I heard they are having a fundraiser today for the hall of fame.

I think 16-feet is correct. While this puts the U over its initial goal of $86 mil, it is still short of what is needed. Remember, prior to construction, the U added about $40 in improvements/upgrades saying they wanted it to be built right. So, they are on the hook for that money, too, so they have a ways to go yet. So, while the good news is, their initial contribution of $86 million is secured, I think the "real" fundraising goal is north of $100 million. I think the other $50 million that the U has to come up with comes from other sources (student fees, suite revenues, etc.).

Great news, but I'm pretty sure the U will keep fundraising for the stadium. The $288mil mark does not include the hall of fame and a couple of other rooms inside the building....

One of the areas that is only partially covered by the $288 is the band space. Unfortunately, we are WAY behind on the fundraising efforts there.

One half of the goal is facility, the other half is scholarship. We've got a long way to go to meet either. :(

Top Bottom