Fumble Timeout Challenge, Replay?

GopherSOB

Reaction score
Someone who might have a little more knowledge or insight than I please comment with fact and or opinion about this scenario. Marquise Gray fumbled the ball after a nice 10 yard pick up (ball in wrong hand but that is another topic) sometime in the first half I believe.

Having been at the game I, like everyone else in the stadium including Brewster, waited on pins and needles to see the replay on the big screen to see if perhaps it is a play worthy of a challenge. No replay was shown before AF took the field and was about to begin play so a time out was called by us, I believe coach Brewster used this time out so the play could be seen on the big screen and provide some direction regarding a challenge. Well, during the entire time out the replay was not shown on the big screen and coach Brewster then challenges the play and looses the challenge. After watching the game at home Sunday it was clear to me that Gray either fumbled or that there would have been insufficient evidence to overturn the call from the camera angle I viewed. So we burned two timeouts on this one play.

So my questions are:
1. Are there NCAA rules which prevent the showing of replays on stadium big screens that would
aid coaches in making decisions regarding challenges?
2. If there are no rules regulating this then why the #*&% did'nt they show the replay!
3. If there are no rules regulating this was it simply our choice not to utilize this technology to
our advantage because of who we were playing, AFA, a team which most hold in a very
high regard. So then what would happen if a similar scenario presents itself when we play
Wisconsin, a team/coach many have little regard for?
4. Who regulates/controls the subject matter on the big screen?
5. Are any of the coaches up in the press boxes allowed to watch some type of replay, other
than what might be shown on a stadium big screen and then
provide that information to the coaches on the field for decision making purposes?

Thanks for you input.

All good questions and I will add one. Shouldn't Brewster have figured out it wasn't worth a challenge by virtue of the replay officials not iniating the review process? The booth still looks at plays even if a coach hasn't challenged them.

All good questions and I will add one. Shouldn't Brewster have figured out it wasn't worth a challenge by virtue of the replay officials not iniating the review process? The booth still looks at plays even if a coach hasn't challenged them.

Yes

Maybe they didnt show it because the video board operators knew it was a fumble. I think if it was obviously not a fumble, they would have shown it, the place would have erupted, and the official would know that the call would need to be reversed.

I dont know, but I think Brew has an assistant coach upstairs watching a separate feed than just the jumbotron.... he then tells brew if it is worth challenging. I think that first timeout was to give that guy a chance to look at some replays. If this person does exist, i think it was his fault for telling brew it was worth the challenge.

Stevie Wonder could've seen that was a fumble, Brewster is just horrible at Challenges.......

Brewster does have a little bit of "Mike Tice Syndrome" when it comes to challenges. At times, he seems to use them based on wishful thinking instead of using them when they might actually do some good.

So we burned two timeouts on this one play.

We also burned our privilege of being able to challenge another play later in the game. Luckily it did not cost us, but that was a horrible challenge by Brew.

His challenge seemed odd in the AFA game, but TB is a gamer.
Not a season has passed under Brewster where he has not displayed his desire to win. He has 0 interest in tying or coming close.

I also need to state on GH that I was wrong about Cosgrove. His D has BITE!

My question is if he thought there was any possibility of challenging, why call the first timeout? Just throw the challenge right away. That way we only lose the one timeout, instead of both of them if we lose the challenge.

one positive to a lost challenge...

Stacked on top of the timeout we called before challenge it allowed for some extra rest for our probably very tired defense.

Before you beat up on Brewster too much understand that one of the AF players invoved in the play had stepped out of bounds. If the player that had stepped out of bounds had been the played that recovered the ball it would have been an illegal touch and the ball would have been ours.

1. Are there NCAA rules which prevent the showing of replays on stadium big screens that would aid coaches in making decisions regarding challenges?
4. Who regulates/controls the subject matter on the big screen?

I can answer two of these. There are Big Ten rules that regulate what can be shown on a video replay. Basically, they are not allowed to show replays that could either show the officials in a bad light, or that could incite the crowd. If the replay is inconclusive, won't incite the crowd, or doesn't show the official in a bad light even though the call might be slightly questionable they can show the replay at full speed from one angle, exactly one time.

If the crowd thought it was a bad call, but the replay shows the official obviously made the correct call they will likely replay it as many times as they feel is necessary, including slow motion if they desire.

The game management producer and/or one of the Assoc ADs ultimately makes the call on whether or not a replay will be shown. If it's not clear cut, they generally air on the side of caution.

I don't know whether the NCAA itself has a similar rule.

Brewster does have a little bit of "Mike Tice Syndrome" when it comes to challenges. At times, he seems to use them based on wishful thinking instead of using them when they might actually do some good.
+1

I can answer two of these. There are Big Ten rules that regulate what can be shown on a video replay. Basically, they are not allowed to show replays that could either show the officials in a bad light, or that could incite the crowd. If the replay is inconclusive, won't incite the crowd, or doesn't show the official in a bad light even though the call might be slightly questionable they can show the replay at full speed from one angle, exactly one time.

If the crowd thought it was a bad call, but the replay shows the official obviously made the correct call they will likely replay it as many times as they feel is necessary, including slow motion if they desire.

The game management producer and/or one of the Assoc ADs ultimately makes the call on whether or not a replay will be shown. If it's not clear cut, they generally air on the side of caution.

I don't know whether the NCAA itself has a similar rule.
Thanks for the explanation. If this is true, this goes to show that the Big Ten/NCAA/whomever is extremely insecure about the quality of their officiating.

It was the same at the dome and nothing new. Rarely are any contraversial plays replayed.

In order to challenge a play, the coach must first call a timeout and then if the get it right they get the timeout back. They were only charged 1 timeout for this challenge.

On the positive side of it, it allowed our defense to catch a longer breather after they had been on the field for a long drive.

+1

Thanks for the explanation. If this is true, this goes to show that the Big Ten/NCAA/whomever is extremely insecure about the quality of their officiating.

Two Big Ten officials were hired by the NFL this off-season, so I'm sure that isn't the issue. It's more to do with 10,000 drunk students and safety.

In order to challenge a play, the coach must first call a timeout and then if the get it right they get the timeout back. They were only charged 1 timeout for this challenge.

I'm almost certain this is wrong. I've never heard of such a rule.

And, further, I'm almost certain we indeed lost both the initial timeout and another as a result of the incorrect challenge.

EDIT: After further review, the ruling on the field is overturned. It appears that this is the college rule. My bad.

The ruling on the field is overturned so rarely, it seems like a challenge is more wisely used for other purposes. The emotions of fired-up fans (and players), who couldn't see what happened (and didn't get to see a replay) were bolstered by the challenge.

I think it ultimately helped the defense, who played that drive like they needed to right a wrong.

Top Bottom