FSN Position Preview: Gophers' wide receivers remain unproven performers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per FSN:

Head coach Jerry Kill says: "We need some guys to grow up and be playmakers, you know, and I think that you look at the receiving core, and those kids have worked hard, and we've got to keep them healthy. Isaac Fruechte we've got to keep healthy, and he's had a great offseason. And K.J. Maye, we moved him out there to inside receiver because of his quickness, and we need to develop him like a lot of people are doing in that slot position."

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/colle...-remain-unproven-p?blockID=922777&feedID=3590

Go Gophers!!

LB and WR will dictate the season. At least a 2 game swing in the conference IMO.

LB and WR will dictate the season. At least a 2 game swing in the conference IMO.

I try not to pay too much attention to predictions for so many reasons but your prediction is the most solid one I have seen so far. :clap:

I have high expectations from the receiving corps this year, but to me it all comes down to if the team can run the ball. If they can I expect some great things from the passing game.

As bad as our passing game was last year, I'm cautiously optimistic for some reason this year. I actually like our WRs. When I look at them, I see this...

Solid, not great
Engel
Fruechte

Could be a boom or bust season
DCT

Showed glimpses and could be a major factor
Harbison

Lots of potential but not much data to go off
Maye
Wright

Incomplete.....so far (but with a ton of potential)
McDonald

Seems to catch everything (in HS at least)
Wolitarsky

I see Engel and Fruechte as solid WRs and can hold down the fort in the B1G. As long as we can 1-2 of DCT, McDonald, Harbison to step up I think we'll be good. Plus the progression of Maye and maybe Wright (screens, end arounds, etc) will be of great help. It's hard to bank on true freshmen, but Wolitarsky is a intriguing prospect.

As bad as our passing game was last year, I'm cautiously optimistic for some reason this year. I actually like our WRs. When I look at them, I see this...

Solid, not great
Engel
Fruechte

DCT

Harbison

Maye
Wright

McDonald

Wolitarsky

I see Engel and Fruechte as solid WRs and can hold down the fort in the B1G. As long as we can 1-2 of DCT, McDonald, Harbison to step up I think we'll be good. Plus the progression of Maye and maybe Wright (screens, end arounds, etc) will be of great help. It's hard to bank on true freshmen, but Wolitarsky is a intriguing prospect.

Maye made some GREAT catches in the spring practices and a GREAT catch in the spring game. Wright has great speed and is shifty. For some reason he hasn't broken out (anybody have any insight on this?) but maybe this will be his year. Harbison is quick, can get open and has good hands. The report from summer workouts is that Wolitarsky is still catching everything. One of the coaches commented early in the year that Wolitarsky would be a "sure thing" when they needed a first down. Nelson is accurate so it could be a good year.

Here's one way to look at it;

If somebody like Barker could step up and have the first half like he did last year, with three different QB's throwing him the ball (largely, less than accurately, I might add), AND with the O-Line in a constant state of flux like it was last year...

... how in the world could things NOT be better for the WR's this year??

In all honesty, we're probably making a little too much of this. The following factors should all contribute to an increased efficiency in the passing game;

> continuity along the Offensive Line (fingers crossed for a MAJOR reduction in lost time to injury)
> a much-improved running game, largely due to the above
> another year in the offense for all of the WR's on the roster
> continuity at the QB position (again, fingers crossed, but a repeat of last year would be almost impossible)

As much as I like Engel and Fruechte, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if by a few weeks into the season, McDonald, DC-T and Harbison have separated themselves at receiver. Time will tell but I think McDonald will come into camp with a renewed focus and hunger. I really think he will be answering that wake-up call he got a few months ago.

Can't wait to see how things shake out. It'll be fun to watch!

Solid, not great
Engel
Fruechte

DCT

Harbison

Maye
Wright

McDonald

Wolitarsky

Excellent assessment of the state of the union for our wide receivers. I do have two minor points. The first is that after watching Harbison during spring practice and the spring game my conclusion was that he showed more than "glimpses". I believe he showed that he is more than ready to be a playmaker. Many of his catches were phenomenal. Great hands!

Second, there are at least two other incoming freshmen and maybe a third who could contribute this year. The first two are Eric Carter and Donovahn Jones. The third one is Chris Streveler.

I know your posting was about the WR position but I also think there is very good chance the TE position will be improved significantly and thus be a factor in improved WR play. Drew Goodger, Lincoln Plsek, Maxx Williams, Duke Anyanwu, and Nate Wozniak are all talented guys.

Here's one way to look at it;

If somebody like Barker could step up and have the first half like he did last year, with three different QB's throwing him the ball (largely, less than accurately, I might add), AND with the O-Line in a constant state of flux like it was last year...

... how in the world could things NOT be better for the WR's this year??

In all honesty, we're probably making a little too much of this. The following factors should all contribute to an increased efficiency in the passing game;

> continuity along the Offensive Line (fingers crossed for a MAJOR reduction in lost time to injury)
> a much-improved running game, largely due to the above
> another year in the offense for all of the WR's on the roster
> continuity at the QB position (again, fingers crossed, but a repeat of last year would be almost impossible)

As much as I like Engel and Fruechte, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if by a few weeks into the season, McDonald, DC-T and Harbison have separated themselves at receiver. Time will tell but I think McDonald will come into camp with a renewed focus and hunger. I really think he will be answering that wake-up call he got a few months ago.

Can't wait to see how things shake out. It'll be fun to watch!

Good analysis, but I think Engel and Harbison are the two best receivers throughout the year. They run the best routes and know how to catch the ball.

Top Bottom