Freshmen learning defense

Bordergopher

Reaction score
I need some help here. Time and again, we recruit guys who don’t play as a freshman. The typical reason speculated here is that they can’t play defense and thus are a huge liability. My questions: Is it really so difficult to learn to play man defense at the college level? Is it vastly different from man defense in high school or in Europe? Halfway into the season it baffles me why someone would be lost on defense, even as a freshman. We aren’t asking them to learn aerospace engineering here. Please help me out with this one.

I would speculate that most freshman don't play because of physical development (i.e. strength). Most players should be understanding the defensive concepts by this point in the season. The Big Ten is a physical league and the physical size/strength of the player plays a big role. There are athletes that can overcome their shortcomings and play but the majority need time to physically and mentally develop.

With all the top notch coaching in this league, any player's weakness (inexperience, strength, lack of discipline) is exploited quickly. For example, in today's game versus MSU, Izzo attacked our young front line (Oturu, Omersa) and got them to over commit defensively for easy dump-off layups. That is purely experience in replacing what you have always done defensively (i.e. natural tendencies) with what you have to do in a team defense (i.e. trust in your teammates). The development of a trusting defense is the key and that is a learned skill. Both Oturu and Omersa are continuing to get better but even as sophomores they are not there yet. Top ten teams have the depth, strength and experience to take advantage of lesser teams. The Gophers will get there with good recruiting but we are currently unfortunate with injuries (i.e. Curry) in providing us with critical depth/experience at a key position. Hurt is a good player but does not have the lateral quickness to provide significant backup minutes during league play.

I trust the coaches to know when a player is ready to compete at this level. Development is more than lifting or practice time. Building up a player to handle the mental aspects of the game has to be the focus and for most players that takes significant time. Playing someone too early can wreck their confidence and damage their college career. That is the "art" of coaching to know when to play them. Hopefully, the Gophers can continue to recruit the right players that will pan out on all those aspects. It would be nice to recruit five-star players that could play right away but very few teams get that luxury.

I would speculate that most freshman don't play because of physical development (i.e. strength). Most players should be understanding the defensive concepts by this point in the season. The Big Ten is a physical league and the physical size/strength of the player plays a big role. There are athletes that can overcome their shortcomings and play but the majority need time to physically and mentally develop.

With all the top notch coaching in this league, any player's weakness (inexperience, strength, lack of discipline) is exploited quickly. For example, in today's game versus MSU, Izzo attacked our young front line (Oturu, Omersa) and got them to over commit defensively for easy dump-off layups. That is purely experience in replacing what you have always done defensively (i.e. natural tendencies) with what you have to do in a team defense (i.e. trust in your teammates). The development of a trusting defense is the key and that is a learned skill. Both Oturu and Omersa are continuing to get better but even as sophomores they are not there yet. Top ten teams have the depth, strength and experience to take advantage of lesser teams. The Gophers will get there with good recruiting but we are currently unfortunate with injuries (i.e. Curry) in providing us with critical depth/experience at a key position. Hurt is a good player but does not have the lateral quickness to provide significant backup minutes during league play.

I trust the coaches to know when a player is ready to compete at this level. Development is more than lifting or practice time. Building up a player to handle the mental aspects of the game has to be the focus and for most players that takes significant time. Playing someone too early can wreck their confidence and damage their college career. That is the "art" of coaching to know when to play them. Hopefully, the Gophers can continue to recruit the right players that will pan out on all those aspects. It would be nice to recruit five-star players that could play right away but very few teams get that luxury.
Great synopsis. Thanks.

And championship teams are "old". Look at the Nova's of the world. Even Kentucky has taken to adding grad transfers as well in an attempt to add the age. It's hard to find guys like Gabe who are that cerebral, strong, and athletic defensively as a freshman. Also kids are more and more talented offensively and are coming into college with a better understanding of what a good shot is too. It's hard to defend these days. What we are seeing with ppg being down would be more attributed to guys leaving early and a lack of offensive continuity.

Strength and most of these guys have not been taught defense like it is played at this level. Game had been coached by someone with a superior defensive mind. He would not play kids that did not play defense.

Strength and most of these guys have not been taught defense like it is played at this level. Game had been coached by someone with a superior defensive mind. He would not play kids that did not play defense.

100% correct
Strength is the leading factor. Gotta get them MAN muscles developed.

Oturu is a prime example, he gained a lot of strength in the off season and it is paying off for him. add 1 or 2 more seasons and he will be unstoppable. I really hope he returns for 1 more year.

Top Bottom