Fox Sports Detroit: Ranking the Big Ten Coaches (Kill #9)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
"9. Kill: Worked his way from Division II Saginaw Valley State to Northern Illinois in the Mid-American Conference, where he led the Huskies to a 23-16 record in three seasons and to last year's conference title game. Kill has quite a rebuilding job to do with the Gophers following their 3-9 season, during which Tim Brewster got fired. Kill is a solid coach, but can he do it at this level?"

http://www.foxsportsdetroit.com/07/...es/landing_um.html?blockID=541945&feedID=3701

Go Gophers!!

1. Pat Fitzgerald, Northwestern
2. Bret Bielema, Wisconsin
3. Kirk Ferentz, Iowa
4. Bo Pelini, Nebraska
5. Mark Dantonio, MSU
6. Joe Paterno, Penn State
7. Brady Hoke, Michigan
8. Ron Zook, Illinois
9. Jerry Kill, Minnesota
10. Kevin Wilson, Indiana
11. Luke Fickell, OSU
12. Danny Hope, Purdue

Hard to argue with the top three and bottom three, even though I hate BBBrains and wish the best for Wilson. If Hoke had taken the Minnesota job, would he have been 7? Methinks not. I think we'll see some shuffling by season's end...

Short of playing the game, its all talk. I have always been a the glass is overflowing guy, and till the games are played I have a sense Kill will be in every game. And I also think he and his staff will find a way in to win some no one thinks we can. That being said, I see the Gophers going 8-4.

Rather a silly list, but it fills time before the season starts. The author asks "can he win at this level?" He's the one making the list, it seems to me that you have to go out on a limb to make a meaningful list. If Kill wins here, he shoots up that list fast.

Rather a silly list, but it fills time before the season starts. The author asks "can he win at this level?" He's the one making the list, it seems to me that you have to go out on a limb to make a meaningful list. If Kill wins here, he shoots up that list fast.

That was my initial issue with it too. He states: "...where he led the Huskies to a 23-16 record..." and we already know his overall record, 127-73 IIRC. But can he win at this level?

"7. Hoke: Improved programs at Ball State and San Diego State, but Hoke still has a losing record (47-50 in eight years)." "But he still has to prove it on the sideline in the Big Ten.".

So which horse would you bet on, all other things being equal? This appears to be more of a reflection of the talent level than the coaching talent.

Short of playing the game, its all talk. I have always been a the glass is overflowing guy, and till the games are played I have a sense Kill will be in every game. And I also think he and his staff will find a way in to win some no one thinks we can. That being said, I see the Gophers going 8-4.

Interesting, I would be shocked if that happened. You really think Kill can in the course of less than a year take a team that was getting dominated on both sides of the ball and win 8 games the very next season? Our schedule is brutal and our QB, who usually will make or break a season for a team is completely untested and when he was tested didn't do much through the air at all. Usually when the entire media has predicted the gophers would fail in the past badly (Brewster Regime) I would completely denounce them. Well, they were usually always right. It's going to be a long season. Although I think they will be more competitive when they do lose.

That said I have a lot of faith in Kill and I wholeheartedly believe he will have this team competing heavily with the likes of Michigan State and Wisconsin within 3-4 years. Stuff just doesn't happen overnight and Kill has been eluding to that fact.

I think that to do a list like this properly you need to detail your criteria. For instance, a PSU grad reading this list will undoubtedly say, "Paterno is the all-time winningest coach," to which we would all respond, "yeah, but his time has passed." Similarly, if Kill were ranked ahead of Zook, Illinois fans may say, "Kill has never won a game in the BIg 10," while Minnesota fans would say, "But Zook has basically proven that he can't consistently win in the Big 10."

So are we going by sheer coaching ability right now, track record, or who you'd bet on to win games this year? There seems to have been a combination of those things in this list. How can you put Bielema ahead of Paterno and also have Zook ahead of Kill?

That was my initial issue with it too. He states: "...where he led the Huskies to a 23-16 record..." and we already know his overall record, 127-73 IIRC. But can he win at this level?

"7. Hoke: Improved programs at Ball State and San Diego State, but Hoke still has a losing record (47-50 in eight years)." "But he still has to prove it on the sideline in the Big Ten.".

So which horse would you bet on, all other things being equal? This appears to be more of a reflection of the talent level than the coaching talent.

Do you suppose they rated Hoke higher because he turned down MN (allegedly)? I guess it's got to be that or reputation (as you mentioned, not record). I suppose one could argue that Ball State and SDSU were bigger rebuilding programs than NIU, but I'm not sure how legit that is. I think they're both pretty equal or Kill slightly above until they prove otherwise. If schools and kids are a factor then unless we hired a Tubby Smith like hire we'd always be toward the bottom until we win B1G Championships...

I know when the coaching search was on and I compared Kill's record to Hoke's I couldn't understand why there was so much momentum behind Hoke.

Imagine that Hoke would have taken the Minnesota job. This list would probably then have had Hoke lower on the list in that case. But it wouldn't have meant that Hoke was a worse coach.

I think that to do a list like this properly you need to detail your criteria. For instance, a PSU grad reading this list will undoubtedly say, "Paterno is the all-time winningest coach," to which we would all respond, "yeah, but his time has passed." Similarly, if Kill were ranked ahead of Zook, Illinois fans may say, "Kill has never won a game in the BIg 10," while Minnesota fans would say, "But Zook has basically proven that he can't consistently win in the Big 10."

So are we going by sheer coaching ability right now, track record, or who you'd bet on to win games this year? There seems to have been a combination of those things in this list. How can you put Bielema ahead of Paterno and also have Zook ahead of Kill?
When I look at a list like this, my single criterion would be who do I want coaching my team this year (rivalries aside)?
For me:
1. Pat
2. Kirk
3. Mark
4. Bo
5. Brett
6. Jerry
7. Joe
8. Brady
9. Luke
10. Kevin
11. Danny
12. Ron

I am impressed.......

When I look at a list like this, my single criterion would be who do I want coaching my team this year (rivalries aside)?
For me:
1. Pat
2. Kirk
3. Mark
4. Bo
5. Brett
6. Jerry
7. Joe
8. Brady
9. Luke
10. Kevin
11. Danny
12. Ron

.....that you are on a first named basis with all these coaches!

My list on Big Ten proven coaches.

1 Paterno
2. Ferentz
3. Bieliema
4. Pelini
5. Fitz
6. Dantonio
7. Zook
8. Kill
9. Hoke
10. Hope
11. Fickell
12. Wilson

My list on sheer coaching ability.

1. Fitz
2. Bieliema
3. Pelini
4. Ferentz
5. Kill
6. Paterno
7. Dontanio
8. Hoke
9. Zook
10. Hope

11/12. Take your pick of Wilson, Fickel

This writer is based out of Michigan no wonder Hoke is ranked higher.

My list would look like this:
1. Fitzgerald- the man can work miracles
2. Dontanio- almost as good as Fitz
3. Pellini- has good track record and this should continue in the big ten
4. Paterno- history,history,history, though he is more of a figure head today
5. Ferentz-good coach but seems to have a lot of internal issues
6. Bieliema-took over good program, but he was schooled by TCU at the Rose Bowl.
7. Zook- great recruiter but only fair x's & o's guy
8. All the rest are tied until November-not enough big time Division one experience,yet

For me:
1. Pat
2. Kirk
3. Mark
4. Bo
5. Brett
6. Jerry
7. Joe
8. Brady
9. Luke
10. Kevin
11. Danny
12. Ron

"......who do I want coaching my team this year (rivalries aside? Can't do it)?

1. Pat
2. Kirk
3. Mark
4. Bo
5. Jerry
6. Joe
7. Brady
8. Luke
9. Kevin
10. Danny
11. Ron
121. Brett "the A$$" Bielema

Fixed!

Interesting, I would be shocked if that happened. You really think Kill can in the course of less than a year take a team that was getting dominated on both sides of the ball and win 8 games the very next season? Our schedule is brutal and our QB, who usually will make or break a season for a team is completely untested and when he was tested didn't do much through the air at all. Usually when the entire media has predicted the gophers would fail in the past badly (Brewster Regime) I would completely denounce them. Well, they were usually always right. It's going to be a long season. Although I think they will be more competitive when they do lose.

That said I have a lot of faith in Kill and I wholeheartedly believe he will have this team competing heavily with the likes of Michigan State and Wisconsin within 3-4 years. Stuff just doesn't happen overnight and Kill has been eluding to that fact.

This part irks me. We are 3-1 against MSU since 2005. They have one good year and we say "someday we will compete with them" as if they are Ohio State.

Yeah, Dantonio's reputation is a bit overblown IMO. His only bowl win as a head coach was the 2004 Fort Worth Bowl over Marshall. He may very well be a good coach, and MSU is definitely better than they were with JL Smith, but it's still a bit unknown at this point.

This part irks me. We are 3-1 against MSU since 2005. They have one good year and we say "someday we will compete with them" as if they are Ohio State.

I'll give it a shot.

1. Ferentz
2. Fitzgerald
3. Dantonio
4. Bielema
5. Paterno (this is more of a staff vote, no way JoePa's running the show)
6. Wilson (made strong initial 1st impression yesterday, Hoosiers might have something here)
7. Pelini
8. Kill
9. Hoke
10. Fickell
11. Zook
12. Hope (easily most unimpressive coach in the B1G)

Hard to judge the new guys, obviously.

Top Bottom