Former U running back Jim Carter passed away Thursday

rip to a gopher great and a character. may his scarf collection be given to a worthy inheritance recipient.

Pouring one out for a fellow alum. Ski-U-Mah, Jim Carter.

Shama chimes in:

I am so sorry to write that my friend Jim Carter, the captain of the 1969 football Gophers, passed away on Thanksgiving evening in Palm Springs, California. I knew Jim for more than 50 years and he was a fiery competitor in sports, business and life. He was a loyal friend who cared deeply for the University of Minnesota where he also played hockey.

A great prep football player at South St. Paul High School, Jim could have opted for Notre Dame but instead chose the hometown Gophers. He was a star player and important contributor as the fullback on the 1967 Minnesota Big Ten championship team. The Green Bay Packers made a linebacker out of him and his NFL career lasted through the 1978 season.

Known to friends as “Hurricane,” Jim was challenged much of his life by emotions and addictions. He had been in recovery for about 20 years and devoted a lot of his free time to helping others with their addictions.

Jim passed away at age 75 after battling metastatic melanoma. Longtime friend, confidant and Gopher teammate Jim Brunzell wrote via email how he will miss their lunches, football get togethers and phone calls.

“Jimmy was a man’s man and called his life accordingly,” Brunzell wrote. “…May he rest in peace, ‘till we hug again.”

Go Gophers!!

First started listening to the games when Carter was playing. Barry Mayer, Jim Carter, and Craig Curry were the backfield. Still can hear Ray Christenson say “Curry under center“ before most plays. He played middle linebacker for the Packers for a long time. I don’t think he played defense for the Gophers, but I was very young at the time.

He was known as "God" in high school. One of the most exciting games I have ever seen was high school hockey between So. St. Paul and International Falls at Wakota Arena in 1965 or 1966. Packers led by Carter and Broncos by Tim Sheehy. Later that seasons Broncos won the state tournament and Packers were third.

Top Bottom