Former Gophers DC Tracy Claeys Announces Retirement

He would probably make a great high school coach.
Disagree

to him Xs and Os are the most important thing
To a good high school football coach Xs and Os are important but not close to the most important thing

I think he's saying Claeys has made choices so he didn't have to "live on his knees".
Someone should tell all those position coaches about how they're "living on their knees"...

From what I remember it sounded like Leach sided with DB's coach and didn't demand that the position coach follow Claeys plan to change the defense. If you don't have the support of the head coach I think it makes sense to resign.

Correct. Leach screwed the pooch, not Tracy.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for Tracy Claeys. He was the right defensive coordinator under Kill. He may have been slightly in over his head as head coach but I thought he would eventually grow into that position. I still think he has great value as a football mind. I hope he can get healthy and lead a life that enjoys. I thank him for his contributions to Gopher football.

He's lost 125 lb, still heavy, but no longer morbidly obese!
He'll continue to drop weight. Years of putting it on means it will be a while before it comes off. I'd love to watch a good game of football with him over a beer to get his insights.

Why?...Because they're both morbidly obese?
I wasn't thinking because they are both larger men. I was thinking more like X's and O's gurus, who care most about that aspect of the overall football ecosystem. Not rah-rah pump you up guys. Not marketing guys or sales guys. May not give the most exciting press conference. Won't put a ton of slogans on the wall.

More like "show up, do your job, be good to each other, trust me that I'll put you in the best possible position to make a play", and call it day, guys.

Maybe I'm making that up, to a degree.

Correct. Leach screwed the pooch, not Tracy.
Leach may be a tool, but it's hard to find most of the fault with him here. Good grief, Tracy should have known the drill going into this situation, it's not like Leach doesn't have a body of work to tell you exactly what you're getting when you're on his staff.

So Claeys shows up and finds out Leach is who he is and this is on Leach? Sorry, I'm not buying.

At the end of the day, the boss is the boss, like it or not. If you don't want to deal with someone like Leach, don't take the job in the first place. At this point, Claeys now has a track record of departures from the last 3+ jobs that he's held and it isn't an outstanding track record. I think I'd find it difficult to hire him in a support role, defensive genius and acumen aside. World's full of talented people who couldn't make it work in certain situations

Long interview with Claeys. He's definitely not "retired" - he spends 10 minutes explaining he'll take a DC job but doesn't want to be a position coach again. He also sounds quite antiquated in the way he describes his frustrations with having to be on zoom calls, and talks about how things ended here at Minnesota.

Go Gophers!!

Leach may be a tool, but it's hard to find most of the fault with him here. Good grief, Tracy should have known the drill going into this situation, it's not like Leach doesn't have a body of work to tell you exactly what you're getting when you're on his staff.

So Claeys shows up and finds out Leach is who he is and this is on Leach? Sorry, I'm not buying.

At the end of the day, the boss is the boss, like it or not. If you don't want to deal with someone like Leach, don't take the job in the first place. At this point, Claeys now has a track record of departures from the last 3+ jobs that he's held and it isn't an outstanding track record. I think I'd find it difficult to hire him in a support role, defensive genius and acumen aside. World's full of talented people who couldn't make it work in certain situations
Tracy has been whining for years now. Hang em up.

Top Bottom