Former Gophers Coaching

Adam Weber was coaching too. Not sure if he still is.

Quite a few.
An interesting development of MN high school football now is a seemingly (anecdotal) high number of internal candidates to get the head jobs.

As district budgets get tighter it is harder and harder for admins to hire a teacher to be the coach.

often the schools have 3 options:
hire a non teacher - not preferred by most
Hire a competent assistant - the trend
Hire an outsider and risk angering the competent assistants - risky, especially considering even if they get a teaching jobs the budgets are so tight they’ll be first dumped

More and more schools going with option 2.
better the guy you know than the guy you don’t know and risk losing all your assistants when it is tough to bring in new assistants.

This is even more prevalent in less public programs like track and field. There is a massive shortage of high school coaches in MN at this point...in all sports.

Quite a few.
An interesting development of MN high school football now is a seemingly (anecdotal) high number of internal candidates to get the head jobs.

As district budgets get tighter it is harder and harder for admins to hire a teacher to be the coach.

often the schools have 3 options:
hire a non teacher - not preferred by most
Hire a competent assistant - the trend
Hire an outsider and risk angering the competent assistants - risky, especially considering even if they get a teaching jobs the budgets are so tight they’ll be first dumped

More and more schools going with option 2.
better the guy you know than the guy you don’t know and risk losing all your assistants when it is tough to bring in new assistants.

This is even more prevalent in less public programs like track and field. There is a massive shortage of high school coaches in MN at this point...in all sports.
In most districts people are coaching for the love of the sport. The pay, if you look at it per hour, isn't great. I'm not shocked there's a shortage.

In most districts people are coaching for the love of the sport. The pay, if you look at it per hour, isn't great. I'm not shocked there's a shortage.
For sure. Issue now is boomer coaches retiring and nobody there to take the jobs. I know the public high school near me is coaching this spring with multiple 5k stipends sitting unused because they couldn’t find anyone to coach track.

I can't belive anyone coach's youth sports.... god bless them for taking the shit they do ...

Freuchte and Kirkwood are at Northern State, Aaron Hill is working as a S&C coach for the 49ers.

Leidner lover!
w39lExI.gif

I believe it was ol Jerr that was the liedner lover... My favorite play was the 3rd and 5 and Mitch throws the ball into the ground on an easy crossing route that was going to go for 4 yards.
I hear he changed his name to Kirk, now plays for the Vikings, completes the pass, and it does go for 4 yards.

I hear he changed his name to Kirk, now plays for the Vikings, completes the pass, and it does go for 4 yards.
At least with Mitch we didn't have the commentators talking up how smart a play it was and so on.

I don't know what it is about Kirk but the commentator cheer-leading squad is absolutely horrific to listen to.

Top Bottom