Former Gopher Thomas Tapeh strives to help in his native Liberia through schools and coffee beans

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per LeValle:

His football career ended during the 2008 season. He played three seasons with the Eagles before signing with the Vikings in 2008, then being released in October. Tapeh chuckled nervously when asked what his post-playing career was like.

"There's a thing called life. You've got to figure it out," he said. "Playing football was easy. You get up, go to work at practice. Get up, practice, play. But [now] you get up and you have to find work. To figure out life outside of football, it was hard because there were not many Liberians that played in the NFL when I was there."

With no one to relate to, his struggled during his post-playing career. He coached youth and high school football for awhile in New Jersey but wasn't happy. He moved to New Orleans and partnered in a sno-ball shop, which are popular there, but that venture didn't last.

"I went through life experiences of [not] playing football, the depression, psychotic thinking," he said. "It was hard because you worked so hard for Sunday, and now you're trying to figure out how you're going to take care of your family and live your life."

At the urging of former teammates during an Eagles alumni gathering, Tapeh reached out to the NFL players association. "They started giving me the services that I needed and got therapy," he said.

Go Gophers!!

Hope he continues to find success in life. Has had some tough times where he had no direction. Appears to be a great guy who just needed a little guidance to get on the right track. Coaches like Fleck will help his players succeed on and off the field.

Ya, he was a man among boys in high school. I went to see him play with St Paul Johnson and came away very hopeful he'd become a Gopher.
Happy to hear he has currently found peace and purpose in his life.
Wishing the same for all of us.

Top Bottom