Former Gopher Kim Royston - A Real Life Hero

So close to something unimaginable.... instead something where hopefully everyone involved can recover.

Had to take some courage to step in that situation. A bullet isn't very forgiving. Great job Royston!

Heart broken that some twisted soul was formed in my community. Where was his Dad?

From the Trib. Wonder whats going on in the home. Good grief.

The suspect's father, who talked to his 12-year-old son at the school afterward, said he hadn't noticed anything different in the boy's behavior. He also specified that he did not believe the shooting was racially motivated.

Later in the day, Burrage sent the school community a message to dispel a rumor that the boy had denounced Black Lives Matter. "That is totally false information," she said.

The Star Tribune is not identifying the man to protect his juvenile son's identity. Leaving the gun accessible to a minor could expose the man to prosecution.

Mad respect for Kim Royston, he helped prevent what could have been a huge catastrophe. I know a teacher that works at that School, Kim is well respected by his peers. Kudo's to Mr Royston's son who post here occasionally. Your son is a difference maker in our community.
It's his father that posts on occassion.

In the words of PJ Fleck... "Leadership Leads" - amazing how a guy from all accounts was a leader on the field and in the classroom ends up being in a position like that to save countless lives. If you are a leader in one aspect of life, you are probably a leader in another aspect. Today we are thankful for you Kim.

Did you read the strib article? Doesn't seem like a case of no dad. Maybe a dad that needs to learn to lockup his guns though.
probably not, he's too busy trying to push his narrative

I always like Kim Royston, he was interviewed during the 2011 season which was a tough season and he talked about importance of senior leadership not quitting on season to lead young guys despite the bad year.

Same question, Dad, where were you?
If it's a case of bullying, maybe the kid chose not to tell the parent about it? Even with completely open parents who you trust 100%, there are things that you may still chose to keep to yourself.

I completely trusted and was open with my parents when I was younger, and still didn't tell them I was being bullied for over a year (at the exact same age too). Why didn't I? I couldn't tell you, I just didn't, until it reached a head and my bully found my homes phone number and called it prior to the next year starting.

If it's a case of bullying, maybe the kid chose not to tell the parent about it? Even with completely open parents who you trust 100%, there are things that you may still chose to keep to yourself.

I completely trusted and was open with my parents when I was younger, and still didn't tell them I was being bullied for over a year (at the exact same age too). Why didn't I? I couldn't tell you, I just didn't, until it reached a head and my bully found my homes phone number and called it prior to the next year starting.

Yeah, I had a similar experience when I changed states and middle schools in the middle of 7th grade. Brutal.

I used to run home from school some days just to avoid seeing a couple bullies once school got out. It was not a fun existence. Yet, I never told my parents. I just internalized all that emotion and built up a hell of a lot of angst and acted out in other ways. I never was close to bringing a gun to school (although guns weren't nearly as prevalent in the early 90s), but I got in a lot of other stupid trouble outside of school.

I don't think when most kids get bullied, it's something they really want to share with their parents. You're embarrassed and ashamed that you are getting picked on and you feel like a lesser person.

I don't think when most kids get bullied, it's something they really want to share with their parents. You're embarrassed and ashamed that you are getting picked on and you feel like a lesser person.
I'd add to that the concern that if your parents get involved it will make things worse, not better.

It's his father that posts on occassion.
I know I meant to say Kim Royston's dad, I typed it wrong. Always enjoyed his dad's contributions to the site. I think he used to call in to KFAN occasionally also, was a good listen then too.

Top Bottom